Necromunda: Ash Wastes

Joe

It sounds interesting but the comments in the article about biggest necro box ever make me very nervous about the price of an eventual set. Dark Uprising was a big step up from the previous set. I’m more interested in potential vehicles I can requisition for the guard.

Gorkamorka with the current stable of Ork vehicles would be insanely cool. Saying that, the expansion being used for it's intended purpose also sounds pretty awesome.

There was an Ork invasion of the hive cluster which contains The Skull, wasn't there? So it's not unreasonable to expect there might be the odd Ork wandering around - I guess it's possible they may even make an appearance? :)

Oh trust me Ill do enough wasteland living (and dying) for all of us.

Im curious on the scenery in the box, will we be looking at plastic scenery like what Gorkamorka had or we gonna get plastic sand dunes? Or maybe a bit of both? I was laying in bed all night thinking about the potential box contents, woke the missus up making engine noises and muttering 'witness' under my breath a few times. Shes gonna hate me when this is released. :lol:

Gorkamorka with the current stable of Ork vehicles would be insanely cool. Saying that, the expansion being used for it's intended purpose also sounds pretty awesome.

There was an Ork invasion of the hive cluster which contains The Skull, wasn't there? So it's not unreasonable to expect there might be the odd Ork wandering around - I guess it's possible they may even make an appearance? :smile.:

There's an entire hive full of them that's kept on constant lockdown with a permanent garrison of Imperial Fists I believe.

Im curious on the scenery in the box, will we be looking at plastic scenery like what Gorkamorka had or we gonna get plastic sand dunes? Or maybe a bit of both? I was laying in bed all night thinking about the potential box contents, woke the missus up making engine noises and muttering 'witness' under my breath a few times. Shes gonna hate me when this is released. :laugh.:

Im hoping we get a few "features" kinda like the ork scrap heaps sprue in the new KT box, possibly even that sprue and maybe a new sprue or two of things like Oil derriks to fight over and could cross over into the underhive in some way. I cant imagine dunes would sell well when they are plastic intensive and so trivial to scratch build, same for big rocks.

Looking at the map its a big old sea of nothing out there though!

Im curious on the scenery in the box, will we be looking at plastic scenery like what Gorkamorka had or we gonna get plastic sand dunes? Or maybe a bit of both? I was laying in bed all night thinking about the potential box contents, woke the missus up making engine noises and muttering 'witness' under my breath a few times. Shes gonna hate me when this is released. :laugh.:

Im hoping we get a few "features" kinda like the ork scrap heaps sprue in the new KT box, possibly even that sprue and maybe a new sprue or two of things like Oil derriks to fight over and could cross over into the underhive in some way. I cant imagine dunes would sell well when they are plastic intensive and so trivial to scratch build, same for big rocks.

Looking at the map its a big old sea of nothing out there though!

They did say something about sludge pools or similar, so that might be a plastic terrain feature

I don't think we'll see anything like plastic dunes. I think it will be more along the lines of what was in the Octarius box to represent a small camp or settlement. Not sure how much we would see in the main box though if it includes the vehicle from the trailer.

Given how great some of the terrain kits have been over the last few years though I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Steve

You all make good points on the scenery, but I cant shake the plastic dunes thing, do GW still do 'how to make scenery out of random junk' thing? They did sell a plastic hill a while ago, they could just re release that I guess as the mold is already there, Im sure some people will buy some just because its easy... 

Guess Ill just have to wait and see, Ill be purchasing the box regardless. :biggrin.:

Id love some plastic scrap tents though, a dirty mattress and some bed rolls would be great.

+++EDIT+++

Thoughts on the box gangs?? Nomads look like they have a few beasts to ride around on, think it will be a Nomad gang vs one with some actual vehicles? 

Nomads vs War Rig maybe?  

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Thoughts on the box gangs?? Nomads look like they have a few beasts to ride around on, think it will be a Nomad gang vs one with some actual vehicles? 

Nomads vs War Rig maybe?  

I think the trailer is the clue for the contents of the initial main box.

Steve

So my take on this seems to be quite different than what I've seen here and elsewhere.

As I understand it, Ash Waste releases are not "New stuff for the big six from Necromunda" -  they are new factions. By that I mean some that existed in previous Ash Waste lore but have not yet been produced for this edition and others that have never been seen. Once the boxes and books previewed (but not really previewed) are released, then there may be some stuff that incorporates the old gangs into the Ash Waste, but all the stuff on deck for now is new factions to establish the setting of the Ash Wastes. Releasing conventional gangs in vehicles does nothing to expand the world. It just makes old gangs bigger. That will come, but not for a while.

And I'm almost positive that the land train IS the terrain. I don't think it is the bespoke property of either of the two new starter factions that we'll get in the box; either it belongs to a neutral "NPC" third faction and both players are fighting each other to take control of it, or either faction can be selected as a defender with the opposite faction playing attacker. There will be different missions that use the terrain in different ways- at least one will be a rolling battlefield scenario.

I was actually quite surprised to see people posting here and elsewhere their speculations about  the new Orlocks that will come with this expansion, or the new Eschers- absolutely nothing I recall seeing has suggested that possibility, but I clearly remember implications of new factions- including both legacy IP updated for the current edition and brand new factions. Similarly, I remember lots of hints- which I thought were fairly obvious- that the train is the terrain (see what I did there lol).

Could be wrong, of course, but I hope we get real information soon. The vague hint and tease stage is my least favourite part of GW's marketting strategy; I think it actually does them more harm than good. If you tease me for a month and I have to IMAGINE what's coming, it's quite likely that I'll be disappointed when the real thing is announced, whereas if you'd told me from the beginning I could make a judgement call right away so that reality doesn't have to compete with the best case scenario in my head.

If they'd shown me Eschers on bikes, Orlocks on Quads and Goliaths in trucks from day one I'd be all in; but now that they've made me imagine Ash Nomads vs. Scaavies fighting over a Guilder caravan on a rolling battlefield, I'm far more likely to boycott Eschers on bikes if that's what the reveal turns out to be. I never went to school for marketing, and I've never studied business at all but again, this is something that seems so obvious to me that I just don't understand how others (ie GW marketting) can't see it.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

I dont know where Escher could come from, im sure the shadowy figures are a new faction but Orlocks are heavily featured in the current marketing animatic and have previously been mentioned as often running caravan guards, it all fits together pretty well.

Definite possibility that big vehicles/land trains work a bit like scenery but im sure smaller vehicles of some stripe will pop up and be available to all, they may not be able to get those models out right away but they know if anyone can take bikes for example, they will sell a bunch of bikes (across the ranges) to folks converting them to their house, hell, then they can sell them the official mins down the line too :D