Necromunda: Ash Wastes

Joe

I think a key thing from the trailer is that the driver is generic - he's not clearly orlock or anything else. If we even see a driver miniature, I presume they will be that generic and that leaves the guards free to be any gang type, really, respirators willing. There will be something in the box, orlocks presumably, but I bet the land train or caravan is generic for any clan house, guild gang, criminal gang, etc.

I think a key thing from the trailer is that the driver is generic - he's not clearly orlock or anything else. If we even see a driver miniature, I presume they will be that generic and that leaves the guards free to be any gang type, really, respirators willing. There will be something in the box, orlocks presumably, but I bet the land train or caravan is generic for any clan house, guild gang, criminal gang, etc.

Hard to tell, but that may not be the driver we see in the trailer, it may actually be the gunner standing next to them.

Steve

There will definitely be new factions- Ash Wastelanders, maybe Ratskins, maybe other bandit groups, but I think that there will be some minor releases for the Houses. Orlock road crews are a big thing, and the other Houses have convoys and stuff that travels the Wastes as well- we might see some single model releases that will give new Champions/Leader types for the Houses, while the new factions get the big new options.

Hard to tell, but that may not be the driver we see in the trailer, it may actually be the gunner standing next to them.

Steve

Good point!

Screenshot-2022-02-03-09-33-10-045-com-g

Screenshot-2022-02-03-09-33-19-298-com-g

Screenshot-2022-02-03-09-29-43-742-com-g

Screenshot-2022-02-03-09-30-14-113-com-g

Anyway, I mean the crew probably will be generic (hopefully male and female) so it can be used with any faction.

Edited by Petitioner's City

Is the train mostly a set of munitorium armoured containers on wheels? Like a train of flatbeds where new modular containers can be plonked on to vary the train?

That's what it looks like from the trailer.

Given how modular some of the terrain sets have been recently I'm hoping they have been designed with things like the crane from the servo hauler kit in mind too. If there is new terrain in the works as well it could be some elements are designed with that in mind so that you can vary the cargo.

Steve

I don't think they'll be much in the way of terrain (apart from the Land Train). It might be a Gorkamorka update so maybe there'll be a derelict oil derrick or a couple of scrap piles but I'd have thought the Sector Mechanicus terrain would be ideal for a refinery and even regular 40k terrain would work for an abandoned settlement so I'm hoping they don't waste the box space on terrain :wink.:

I only played Gorkamorka a couple of times but I don't remember any biker models being used...but Necromunda was my game of choice in those day, so I may have missed it. I'll be happy with a Land Train and two vehicles to ride in along with a couple of 'gangs' but I could see the forces being asymmetrical with one having a large wagon/truck and the other having two smaller vehicles.....they really need to hurry up and show us what it's all about because my imagination is moving up a gear and we all know that nothing can keep up with your imagination :biggrin.:

I think there weren't any ork bikes in the Gorkamorka box, but there were plastic models at the time and I think they were in the rules.

Anyway, here is a link to what the ork bikes looked like at that time:  https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/warhammer-40k-2nd-edition-ork-bikes-3780234908

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

I think there weren't any ork bikes in the Gorkamorka box, but there were plastic models at the time and I think they were in the rules.

Anyway, here is a link to what the ork bikes looked like at that time: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/warhammer-40k-2nd-edition-ork-bikes-3780234908

Yes bikes were in the rules and those were indeed the models available in second edition/gorkamorka period.

Ork_Warbike_1.png

Anyway here is the cost in Da Uvver Book:

IMG-20220204-003240.jpg

And some of the rules from Da Roolz:

IMG-20220204-003249.jpg

IMG-20220204-003258.jpg

And here is a mention of bikes in WD 215, which accompanied the GM release, converted to take away the 40k model's side guns:

IMG-20220204-004020.jpg

The issue also had lots of articles in converting the GM vehicles to be more Orky.

Edited by Petitioner's City

Oh yeah, back in 2nd edition where they had twin autocannons and BS3. They really punched above their weight. They used to be a bit toned down in Gorkamorka, didn't they? I think the highest strength I remember in Gorkamorka was the rocket buggy weighing in a str 6? I'm waiting for someone with a better memory than me to clear it up. :teehee:

If they produce a land train as just a piece of terrain to fight over I think it would be a wasted opportunity but as some kind of central objective I guess it could work. Having it as an actual movable vehicle would be bizarre, and probably the basis for many a battlewagon conversion.

I think the fact that some of the previews mention vehicular mayhem points to them being more than just scenery pieces. Will be interesting to see how they implement them. 

I know there are issues with editing and such in a lot of the books but I think the game itself plays great so I hope any vehicle rules compliment that.

Steve

Thats not a conversion, its the official Gorkamorka bike kit which was a hybrid, the rules sadly limited bike weapons considerably, though i was playing with some houserules for bigger ones based on the 1st ed rules :D

Very good point!

http://www.solegends.com/gorkamorka/1998P254-02.jpg

=][= Since it has been a few days since the article dropped and we haven't had any further updates or rumours, I have moved this thread to the Necromunda subforum to allow the discussion to continue.

Whenever we get more news, feel free to post it here and start a new thread in the NR&BA subforum. Thank you. =][=

so, what exactly are we expecting model wise? my predictions are:

LandTrain vehicle/"terrain"(as in it would be the anchored focus of a "battle in motion")

Ash Waster gang: on-foot and riding their mounts, I'll add an extra speculation that the first big boxset will be 1 copy of the 5 person on-foot sprue that will be doubled up in a 10 person box once they're sold seperate, and the same for a set of 2 or 3 mounted riders compared to a 4 or 6 set in normal boxes.

part of me wants to think GW would make a generic bike sprue that then comes with gang specific rider sprues, but too many gangs have too much different/unique about them for that, especially in the cases of the Goliaths, Van Saar, and Enforcers.

same would go for a buggy/jeep/car.

Additional terrain, besides some rocks and junk piles, that might be minor driving hazards in the aforementioned "battle in motion" mission types, I'd also like to see shanty towns, if onlt for how those could be reused elsewhere in Necromunda and 40K.

I don't think we'll necessarily see all the "hive" factions move into the ash wastes, so perhaps some gangs just won't get kits/upgrade sprues for any generic vehicles? 

One thing they could do was put out some generic closed-off vehicles (like the GSC ones, basically) and they would serve any gang. Then players could convert/paint them up appropriately in order to personalise them. Another possibility might be generic open-topped transports, so you could physically place your models in them (thus reducing the need for faction-specific vehicles).

Finally, there's not really any pressing in-setting reason for e.g. Escher to have a different vehicle than Van Saar. In fact, it would make the most sense if the vehicles were all basically from the same imperial manufactory, and the only thing setting them apart would be whatever personalisation the house/gang that owned the vehicle made. There's a possible tangent here about how Newcromunda ought to generally have a bit more "shared" stuff across all the gangs (I get that they've leaned harder into the idea of Houses as basically self-sufficient entities, but I'd still prefer it if they had more stuff in common, since at least some of their things ought to be produced outside the House).

At the end of the day, I think generic vehicles for the "regular" gangs make the most sense, both fluff-wise and business-wise. But we shall see.

Yeah a standard vehicle makes sense, paint it up like Tank Girls tank with some pink animal print for Escher, add chains and a few extra armour plates for Goliath etc... 

Then after everybody goes nuts buying enough vehicles GW can slip out gang specific conversion packs so we go and buy even more vehicles to convert with the new bits. I know Id be stupid enough to buy them. :lol:

there's not really any pressing in-setting reason for e.g. Escher to have a different vehicle than Van Saar.

Van Saar seem the best suited to have an excuse for having a unique vehicle option, what with having their own secret SCT and all that...

Yeah a standard vehicle makes sense, paint it up like Tank Girls tank with some pink animal print for Escher, add chains and a few extra armour plates for Goliath etc... 

Then after everybody goes nuts buying enough vehicles GW can slip out gang specific conversion packs so we go and buy even more vehicles to convert with the new bits. I know Id be stupid enough to buy them. :laugh.:

I mean, a generic vehicle would make sense, but at the same time if the Land train can't afford a completely sealed cabin, why would the gangs? you know there'd at least be one dude or lady leaning out the window to do some drive-by shooting/slashing