Necromunda: Ash Wastes

Joe

That is indeed rather pricey. It seems a bit weird considering the contents vs the contents of Dark Uprising, where there was quite a lot more terrain. Although I guess you do get quite a few more minis in this package, as you get 10 models on foot in each gang and then either vehicles or giant bugs on top of that. The rulebook also seems to be hardcover, but still, this seems more expensive than the starter boxes for the main games, which strikes me as slightly odd/optimistic on GW's behalf.
Oh well, we'll see what's what when it gets here.

In any case, I'm going to get it, but I'm going to skip the extras. I don't particularly like the tactics cards for each gang in practice as they seem to swing wildly in power and applicability, although I like the general idea of tactics cards. Maybe I'll look into making one "common" deck of tactics cards that everyone draws from.

I'm with you on the tactics cards, we've stopped using them altogether because they can be so powerful in a game. Players can feel 'cheated' out of the game at times and we found they detracted from the game rather than added to it.

I'm disappointed at the cost, especially as all I want are the rule book, the dice and the Orlock buggies. I already have an Orlock gang and more than enough terrain. The nomads are great but I have so many gangs waiting to be painted that they're likely to never be used by me.

My head says wait for the rule book to be released separately, especially as I don't think there'll be rules for proper vehicles in it (e.g. trucks), but my heart says stop being sensible and buy it.....I know already that my heart will win :blush.:  

I preordered for £125 from longbow games. I had a 31% discount cos a codex I bought in January was damaged by the courier so Jason at longbow gave me this discount that they do if you pay a tenner a month so I finally used it for ash wastes. With shipping it cost £131 in total so very happy with that. They do a 25% discount if anyone is interested by the way. 

Also goonhammers review here: https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-ash-wastes-review/

Edited by Axineton

Nice! I ordered mine from a local(ish) retailer. Not quite as good a discount, but he runs a great shop and so I always just end up shopping with him.

Looking forward to reading the goonhammer review, they tend to be very good.

Not looking forward to getting sick (my GF’s parents tested positive thursday after she visited them wednesday. She started feeling poorly yesterday and just tested positive an hour or so ago). I still feel completely fine, but that’s probably just a matter of time. Hopefully I won’t get so sick I can’t play heroes of M&M 3 :)

My ash wastes is turning up in 30 mins but I’m going out drinking in 15 mins so I’ll have a look at it when I get back tonight if I’m in any state too otherwise it’ll wait until tomorrow. 

I just went and picked up mine this morning. And yeah, it is pretty packed.

Started reading the book and so far it seems quite good - I'm kinda dreading having to reread the rules and look for small but important changes. Don't get me wrong, I think it's nice that they iron out some of the wrinkles of the system, but I have a hard time concentrating on reading rules I already (sort of) know.

Okay, the new campaign looks fun (it's all about controlling sections of road, establishing/controlling trade routes, collecting toll - that kind of thing) and at the same time not too far off from the Dominion campaign. I wish I had the time to dive straight into building vehicles, but fixing up the new house and practicing for recording is gonna eat up most of my time this month :/

• 3 weeks later...

Just preordered the double hab thing got it for £50 still a bit pricy but there you go. Also ordered a ridgerunner that I’ll use for necro too but not sure if it’ll be for Cawdor or Orlocks yet.

So for people who actually bought Ash Wastes, whats the deal with vehicles? Is there much in there or will we need other books as well to get a decent game in? 

So for people who actually bought Ash Wastes, whats the deal with vehicles? Is there much in there or will we need other books as well to get a decent game in? 

I’ve still not read the book yet. It’s in the pile with all my other necromunda books waiting there like everything else :facepalm:

The basic rules for vehicles are in the book and they fit very neatly into the existing rules.

Unfortunately there's only the quads that have full rules and even they look like they're not fully complete (riders not having access to a side arms and such).

I'm waiting for the next book before I finish my quads because I have a feeling things will change and I want to know what other vehicles will be available before I decide on the load out. Really it's all about the next book.

So a broken game on release as par for GW... :tu:

Guess Ill download the book then, not paying that kinda coin for half a game. Just when I think GW have got it sorted they remind me why I dont like them any more. :( 

I'd say it's more of an incomplete game rather than broken.

The rule book that comes with the box is much improved over previous versions and the vehicle rules and Mounts are neat and elegant. It's not perfect (psychic rules still left wanting) but in a game that is all about narrative rather than competitive play it achieves its goal. Without another book players could easily develope their own rules to expand the vehicle (and Mounts) range but we all know the Outlands book isn't too far away so why bother?

That said I wish I'd waited for the rule book to be released rather than buying the box set. The terrain is great but I already have enough terrain to cover a 4'x12' table, so I don't really need it....although I might change my mind once I have the rules to field more vehicles which may require specific types of terrain :wink.:  

The Nomads aren't really grabbing me either but I think I'll change my mind about them once their full rules are available in the next book.

I already have an Orlock gang so I only needed the Quads but I'm sure they'll come in handy for future conversions. It's not a bad box set (although it is a little on the pricey side) but for experienced Necromunda players it really needs the Outlands book.