The Armouring of a Space Marine

Joe

It's like they felt they HAD to do an official version of "The Raptor" (but IN BLUE, Jerry!) and only realized at the last minute that they lacked any context for it.

So they went the influencer route with "look who did a thing."

Meanwhile, they just told everyone who's actually subscribed to their streaming service to lower their expectations for regular animated content.

Early reports suggest that the crisis this Astartes was called in to deal with is a corporate dumpster fire.

I love it. It's space marines and 40K, but yeah. It's clearly taking inspiration from the SC2 Wings of Liberty iannouncement video. It's a bit "late" for a better term and out of the blue. Which makes me wonder. Do we get more videos like this in the future, "just so"? Or is this just the hype train departing the station to announce SM 9.5?

Well that was definitely impressive, but "several days of hype building" impressive? Noooooot so sure about that...

For god's sake, it was ONE day of a few content creators using a hashtag and posting single frames from the video.

The amount of griping here is astounding for a thing that cost you nothing, took barely any time out of your day and renders a part of our hobby in a detail we've never seen before for no grander purpose than because it's cool.

Blizzards cinematic department has always the best in the industry imo, the even older WC3 cut scenes are just as great.

Even Valrak is scratching his head over the purpose of this, if more astartes focused stuff is released then perhaps it will make sense in the end.

Pretty cool. Think the sound editing was perhaps the worst part? 

Feels like, if they hadn't prehyped it as a must watch, but just put it out, fans themselves might have gone and said "oh, this little tidbit is a "must watch" if you're a marine fan". Regardless, doing it like this, probably meant a lot more people saw it, which trumps grumbling on some forum over "that's it?" any day. 

At any rate, seen a bunch of fan made versions before, but it was nice to finally get an 'official' take. Also humorous to go from the ridiciliously large boots at the beginning, to the completted package where it all fits in. Makes me want them to do a mini diorama model of a partially armored marine.

Also glad I was wrong it wasn't SM2. I don't think's gonna be ready for a long while yet.

Edited by Reinhard

Not gonna lie. Feels like a lot of nitpicking for the sake of complaining here. I actually thought it was really really cool. But I also wasn’t super hyped or anything so maybe that helped.

I did send it off to all my non warhammer friends tho hahah

Well that was definitely impressive, but "several days of hype building" impressive? Noooooot so sure about that...

For god's sake, it was ONE day of a few content creators using a hashtag and posting single frames from the video.

The amount of griping here is astounding for a thing that cost you nothing, took barely any time out of your day and renders a part of our hobby in a detail we've never seen before for no grander purpose than because it's cool.

We have seen it before, in fan animations. We have also seen "super soldier armoring up" in things like StarCraft, Halo, and Iron Man.

Space Marines' armoring process has been described many times in books over the years as well.

It is not bad, and it is technically different because it is a Primaris Marine instead of another kind of super soldier getting armored up, but saying we have never seen it before borders on gaslighting.

We have seen it before, in fan animations. We have also seen "super soldier armoring up" in things like StarCraft, Halo, and Iron Man.

Space Marines' armoring process has been described many times in books over the years as well.

It is not bad, and it is technically different because it is a Primaris Marine instead of another kind of super soldier getting armored up, but saying we have never seen it before borders on gaslighting.

no, we've literally never seen a 40k space marine official video showing how their armour gets equipped, we've had some bits of art showing single moments during the process, but we've not seen it like in this video. There ARE videos of armour from other franchises, but that isn't 40k power armour. Similarly, fans have done some videos showing a marine getting armoured (theres a grey knight one and the raptor, that i can think of), but they still weren't official and now we've seen the official one, there certainly are differences in how the armour goes together - though the raptor clearly has a lot in common at least.

Also. the raptor was also primaris so that element isn't a first :D

GW marketing is so baffling to me sometimes. They seem to just have a weird sense of timing too often. It's a nice animation, but this seems more appropriate to release with a Space Marine Codex release, or when they first showed off Space Marine 2.

Just seems like a lot of hard work to make this animation (which is pretty awesome quality) only to be wasted on a Thursday. Maybe there's more to follow, but again...release it alongside the thing you're hyping. Otherwise, it's a just head scratching fluff.

no, we've literally never seen a 40k space marine official video showing how their armour gets equipped, we've had some bits of art showing single moments during the process, but we've not seen it like in this video. There ARE videos of armour from other franchises, but that isn't 40k power armour. Similarly, fans have done some videos showing a marine getting armoured (theres a grey knight one and the raptor, that i can think of), but they still weren't official and now we've seen the official one, there certainly are differences in how the armour goes together - though the raptor clearly has a lot in common at least.

Also. the raptor was also primaris so that element isn't a first :biggrin.:

Assuming "no" means "yes" here, because this is my quoted post but with more words. This is definitely the first time we have had an official animation of a Primaris Marine getting armored. It is just a very literal interpretation to say we have never seen anything like this before. Technically true, directionally incorrect.

Guess it would be more hype for people who have not seen any of the other examples.