The Armouring of a Space Marine

Joe

It is not bad, and it is technically different because it is a Primaris Marine instead of another kind of super soldier getting armored up, but saying we have never seen it before borders on gaslighting.

Yeah man, saying GW have previously never made a high quality video of a Space Marine suiting up is tantamount to psychological manipulation. Totally reasonable and valid assertion that.

Edited by Halandaar

It was cool - very techno-gothic Iron Man suit up!  Fits the bill and was interesting.

Honestly not sure what was hyped about any of this, but I’m also not following any social media stuff.  I think there was like one comment on Warhammer Community?  Edit: Actually there wasn’t even a WHC post before the video was posted, the only post I even saw about it was this one here before the title of the thread was changed.

I’ve said it before - people gripe about the GW hype train, but they routinely jump on an over-expectation hype train all their own/aided by people other than GW, then complain about GW about failing to live up to expectations.  Those aren’t always the same thing (even if GW does like to use over-hype words, can’t blame them if you get yourself into it, you know they are doing it - it’s easy to refrain from giving into their word excitement vomit).

I am perplexed by this one.

I did like it, quite a bit actually.

But the audio didnt click for me, neither did alot of the aesthetics. 

If it had been a Black Templar, then cool beans.

But for an UM this video does not make sense on alot of levels. The Mechanicum and servitors made alot of sense but the Chapter Serfs conduct was weird to me, they seemed more like Tech Thralls or Eclessiarchy stooges with an Ultra plastered on tbh, they were weirdly into the process for non-Mechanicum.

And the chant was really odd too, aside from weirdos like the Templars most Chapters are at least politely averse to overtly religious language (that their behavior does not reflect it per say is another subject), and to hear an Ultramarines referring to himself as an Angel is just bizarre. I might have swallowed it well if it was a Firstborn but this is a Primaris and we know Guilliman is waging a one-Primarch war on anything even vaguely religious inside his household (despite giving up on the rest of the Imperium). So it feels like Bobby G would be having an aneurism hearing this, especially since he reacted with annoyance at the armoring ritual he went through when it was just the adept doing the chanting.

The vibe is good and pleasingly gothic but the choice of the UM just left a sour taste in my mouth. It feels strange that GW is so obsessed on marketing UM but at the same time seem so oblivious to the UM's ideology and lore.

Respectfully to "The Raptor," it doesn’t have the right level of weirdness that I think the 40K universe requires. That video could mostly fit into any sci-fi universe. The magic of 40K is that it’s not just generically enhanced guys running around in power armor—lots of games and stories have that—see the comparisons to StarCraft—it’s the one with flying cyborg babies and dudes praying to a gun. 

Edited by davextreme

The Raptor depiction is cool, and may have even been about what it looked like armoring up a Marine originally - back when the Emperor was walking around in 30K before the Heresy, etc.  It’s not what I think of when I think of the majority of what we would see in 40K, which, for all of the technowizardry Cawl has introduced, is still gothicultishness space fantasy, not a sci-if armoring up that would fit right into the Iron Man films (which is what the Raptor version reminds me of - seems very much like the scene with the Mk2/3? Iron Man suit in the first movie) - that’s not 40K.

Even/especially the AdMech isn’t going to be as polished as the inside of that Raptor depiction was - it’s technoreligiousity at it’s finest - there would have to be a lot more unguents and oils applied inside and out any AdMech endeavor, with a lot more chanting, etc.

I loved it. I’ve watched it a few times. I loved raptor too, but like Dave pointed out, this was all sorts of weird. Which is awesome. I’m a huge Blanche fan.

But as others have also said, it seemed out of left field for no reason. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not bitching about it. I’ll take any more 40K universe I can get. Just felt like a surprise for no reason at all. Ok? I’ll take it though!

One thing I can’t help but think about, is how other chapters may be different. Would, say, the Space Wolves have the same process? They’re seemingly the most irreverent. Would they be drinking and laughing as they arm up? Just a fun thought if other chapters would be as stoic.

It is a good animation but it’s not as cool as the grey knights one which pre dates this by years. Seems a curious choice for an animation unless a model follows it. A model/diorama of this would have been a real draw to make me renew Warhammer plus.

But as others have also said, it seemed out of left field for no reason. … Just felt like a surprise for no reason at all. Ok? I’ll take it though!

One thing I can’t help but think about, is how other chapters may be different. Would, say, the Space Wolves have the same process? They’re seemingly the most irreverent. Would they be drinking and laughing as they arm up? Just a fun thought if other chapters would be as stoic.

I don’t think it’s as out of left field as people think - the Raptor was released exactly a month and year ago today according to the date stamp on YouTube.  GW probably did feel like it was time to “officially show the people how it’s really done” sort of thing via their own animation.  I believe it’s an IP sort of thing to try and remind people that 40K is still “all about the gothic”, no matter the more advanced sci-fi elements/tacticool that people like to throw out there about the IP.

The Space Wolves’ version has me thinking there would be multiple views on armoring up, which is probably exactly how they’d do it, in accordance with their own personal preferences - some are big and boisterous during it, some are probably reserved, some may be drinking, some may be ‘Ere We Go, ‘Ere We Go’ing with the best of the Orks, some may be very religiously inclined about it and recite prayers to the All-Father, etc.

I also don’t think that this depiction is the literal end-all, be-all of how each and every Ultramarine acts while being armored up, or Dark Angel, or Blood Angel.  It’s likely just a generic Marine armoring, like this is how Marine 251 of 1,000,000 does it, but it’s the “common” way it occurs.

I’m also think that the different types of Marines within a Chapter probably have different rituals themselves - so Librarians aren’t the same as this, neither are Chaplains, Techmarines, etc.

But as others have also said, it seemed out of left field for no reason. … Just felt like a surprise for no reason at all. Ok? I’ll take it though!

I don’t think it’s as out of left field as people think - the Raptor was released exactly a month ago today according to the date stamp on YouTube.  GW probably did feel like it was time to “officially show the people how it’s really done” sort of thing via their own animation.  I believe it’s an IP sort of thing to try and remind people that 40K is still “all about the gothic”, no matter the more advanced sci-fi elements/tacticool that people like to throw out there about the IP.

The Space Wolves’ version has me thinking there would be multiple views on armoring up, which is probably exactly how they’d do it, in accordance with their own personal preferences - some are big and boisterous during it, some are probably reserved, some may be drinking, some may be ‘Ere We Go, ‘Ere We Go’ing with the best of the Orks, some may be very religiously inclined about it and entone prayers to the All-Father, etc.

I also don’t think that this depiction is the literal end-all, be-all of how each and every Ultramarine acts while being armored up, or Dark Angel, or Blood Angel.  It’s likely just a generic Marine armoring, like this is how Marine 251 of 1,000,000 does it, but it’s the “common” way it occurs.

I’m also think that the different types of Marines within a Chapter probably have different rituals themselves - so Librarians aren’t the same as this, neither are Chaplains, Techmarines, etc.

Chaplain about to armor up: "Bring me more candles!"

Serf: "How many more lord?"

Chaplain: "Yes."

The way I view this is a sort of initiation ritual for a newly gene-forged Space Marine. Presumably future armourings are far quicker and less ritualistic- but between the need for calibrating the power armour to the individual Astartes, the religious aspects of the first donning of the armour, and the crossover between the two, the initial sheathing of the Space Marine in armour is probably quite a big deal, hence the long and complex process.

The way I view this is a sort of initiation ritual for a newly gene-forged Space Marine. Presumably future armourings are far quicker and less ritualistic- but between the need for calibrating the power armour to the individual Astartes, the religious aspects of the first donning of the armour, and the crossover between the two, the initial sheathing of the Space Marine in armour is probably quite a big deal, hence the long and complex process.

the point I think people are missing when they’re saying “this take too long” is they’re underestimating how important an Astartes is in lore and how wrapped up in tradition and ceremony everything is in their lives… there’s what 1million ish Astartes in the galaxy and what 1000000000000000000 humans? They’re a BIG! deal… War is also at least holy to an Astartes weather they believe the emperor is a god or not so the religious overtones should always be present in my mind

Everything about this screams 40K, and portrays how they would get armoured every time perfectly in my mind I couldn’t fault this portrayal in any way

Just to add an Astartes is usually in his amour for months on campaign it’s not like they’re donning it every other day

Edited by BladeOfVengeance

It even says in the article “this is cannon” it’s how the emperors finest get ready for war

WarCom tends to play fast and loose with accuracy, but the video may be canon for the guy in the cinematic at least.

Other chapters would have different arming rituals.

Iron Hands would have more "flesh is weak" shenanigans, Dark Angels would be doing their own thing with secret rituals.

Some of the more unique successor chapters from feral worlds like Silver Skulls or Mortifactors would probably do it very differently. And so on.

But for an UM this video does not make sense on alot of levels. The Mechanicum and servitors made alot of sense but the Chapter Serfs conduct was weird to me, they seemed more like Tech Thralls or Eclessiarchy stooges with an Ultra plastered on tbh, they were weirdly into the process for non-Mechanicum.

*SNIP*

The vibe is good and pleasingly gothic but the choice of the UM just left a sour taste in my mouth. It feels strange that GW is so obsessed on marketing UM but at the same time seem so oblivious to the UM's ideology and lore.

I think that's the entire point. Even a secular Chapter like the Ultramarines are steeped in ritual and mysticism. The symbolism in the arming process is as much a part of being a Space Marine. Consider the last three steps.

• Cuirass: "With humility, I bear the Imperialis, the symbol of loyalty unbroken." The marine is part of legacy of loyal service to the Emperor going back 10,000 years.
  • Reactor: "With reverence, I receive actuation, awakening the armour's spirit." The Omnissiah (Emperor) calls the armour to war.
  • Pauldrons and helmet: "With pride, I wear the symbol of my Chapter... and join my brothers in war." The marine subsumes themselves within the Chapter, their individuality obscured.

If they have to arm a whole Chapter like that the Tyranid will consume the planet before they can react.

Jokes aside it's a pretty cool vid!

I understand the joke, but I do like how the video adds context the many times marines are described as bearing in armour from before they enter a warzone until they are definitely not going to see any combat.

Well, that was pretty.

Pretty pointless.

Raises a lot of questions.

If it takes that much effort to put on the armor, what happens if they get an itch?

Many marine stories of long campaigns note that irritation of the neural sockets can become a major issue. Apothecaries can dose marines to reduce the itching and swelling.

Dude must have missed school the day that Father Cawl put on the sleep-tape for "walking."

Also, having the helmet go on in multiple pieces seems unnecessary. Would have been cooler to just plunk it on his head and then have it light up.

It does go with the MkX Tacticus helm and MkX Crusade helm model designs. I imagine they can hard-lock in place to be removed all at once (going by the Dark Imperium Sergeant) in addition to the individual pieces being removable (based on various bare heads, heads with grilles, the Indomitus captain head variations).

EDIT: Meant to post this, here's the image the video is based on:

0Bgy5MQ.png

EDIT 2: Also, the Chapter Serfs making the sign of the Aquila at 3:51,  :wub:

Edited by jaxom

Hot take here: I'm glad that it was just a for-fun animation to show us some lore and not an advertisement for the next wave of space marine models. I find being marketed to 24/7 exhausting and all too common in contemporary life. That this was "pointless" was actually refreshing because when there is a point it's almost always "hey buy this!"

Overall the animation was cool. I really liked the creepy cherub servitors, but I think the helmet having retractable eye lenses is odd.

Pretty cool animation, Not worth the Hype though. 

LOL ...No wonder the Imperium is losing it's foothold on the universe.... "We're under Attack!!!... battle stations!" ..."oh dear! can you just wait a bit guys i'll be there shortly ,I just gotta suit up ok?"... "come on come on!...can you bless this stuff any faster?...I gotta be somewhere and I Don't want to be the last guy suited up...Again!" :blush.:

The Helmet pieces seems a bit naff as does the pop down eye lenses, doesn't look like it'd seal well (although this is fictional stuff,you can make anything up i guess) I think I'm just used to a Helmet being a Helmet...not tiny parts locking together cause how would he take his helmet off out on the Field :huh.:

Mithril

Pretty cool animation, Not worth the Hype though.

LOL ...No wonder the Imperium is losing it's foothold on the universe.... "We're under Attack!!!... battle stations!" ..."oh dear! can you just wait a bit guys i'll be there shortly ,I just gotta suit up ok?"... "come on come on!...can you bless this stuff any faster?...I gotta be somewhere and I Don't want to be the last guy suited up...Again!" :blush.:

The Helmet pieces seems a bit naff as does the pop down eye lenses, doesn't look like it'd seal well (although this is fictional stuff,you can make anything up i guess) I think I'm just used to a Helmet being a Helmet...not tiny parts locking together cause how would he take his helmet off out on the Field :huh.:

Mithril

We do see Captain Primaris Lieutenant Titus take his whole helmet off in the Space Marine 2 trailer.

That may be a secret power of the Primaris Lieutenant though, being the ultimate lifeform in the galaxy and all.

i imagine the helmet comes in segments but once locked together could just be unsealed at the neck instead, allows for changing the configuration if needed.

I Guess, if you can have Flying dead babies and skulls floating around you can have a 5 piece helmet that's drilled into place able to pop off whenever you like...

:teehee: ... :tongue.:

Mithril  

Edited by mithrilforge

i imagine the helmet comes in segments but once locked together could just be unsealed at the neck instead, allows for changing the configuration if needed.

I Guess, if you can have Flying dead babies and skulls floating around you can have a 5 piece helmet that's drilled into place able to pop off whenever you like...

:teehee: ... :tongue.:

Mithril  

honestly your response feels a little obtuse lol. realistically, you could make a multi-component helmet that locks together using electromagnets even now if you wanted to. And I always assume mag-locks will be electromagnets. Current on? Those parts aren't getting separated. Current off? They will come apart just fine. Because of the way the elements clip together it's not like it'd be lacking in protectiveness based on the design either, as the way it interlocks still feels like it'd help prevent weakpoints.

It was neat and well made.

Given the teaser was a cgi, cropped space marine and tagline about lore, I'm confused as to why people imagined something other than a cinematic.

Though, it was odd that it was just a cinematic for the sake of it. Normally they use those for promotions like new editions.

Armouring up isn't that novel though, quite a few examples already like the ones posted here.