[Video game] Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun

I appreciate the retro vibe and Im totally getting this but I hope there's a graphic setting so the player doesnt look so pixelated. Its a really rad looking game and retro shooter fits 40k like a glove.

And there was me thinking GW was branching out into some kind of meta story game; strong 'gone home' or 'life is strange' vibes from the start of the trailer!

I mean a nostalgia doom-a-like is fine, but I kinda want that game now about a lapsed hobbyist finding some old models after a move, and exploring the bittersweet memories of the friends they left behind, and finding a way to reconnect with that innocent joy we had as kids, and maybe the catharsis of resolving an old mystery...

Man, I'm getting old!

I think it's a term of endearment (if an inaccurate one) in this case.

After years of CoD clones it's a breath of fresh air to have something a little less self-serious.

After years of CoD clones it's a breath of fresh air to have something a little less self-serious.

I hope you're talking about 40k games (not that there have been many 40k shooters, I can only recall Hired Gun) and not about games in general, because there's been an absolute explosion of retro and/or retro-inspired shooters these past few years and it's been amazing.

I hope you're talking about 40k games (not that there have been many 40k shooters, I can only recall Hired Gun) and not about games in general, because there's been an absolute explosion of retro and/or retro-inspired shooters these past few years and it's been amazing.

Oh yeah, I probably should have phrased that better; I meant more like the last fifteen-ish years of FPS games in general (I'm biased in my vendetta against the Michael-Bay-wannabe genre). I don't mean to imply that Boltgun is the first game to take inspiration from retro games, rather that I'm glad that it's part of that wave.

Oh yeah, I probably should have phrased that better; I meant more like the last fifteen-ish years of FPS games in general (I'm biased in my vendetta against the Michael-Bay-wannabe genre). I don't mean to imply that Boltgun is the first game to take inspiration from retro games, rather that I'm glad that it's part of that wave.

Yeah fair enough. It's great that the genre has been expanding its horizons lately though. Even if that means taking the formula almost 30 years back and applying all those years of technological advancement to it. :biggrin.: