[Video game] Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun

1 hour ago, Halandaar said:

Why wouldn't GW allow modding? The Total War Warhammer games have absolutely huge ranges of mods on the Steam Workshop including stuff that adds entire factions to the game. 

To be fair it's been for ever, so this might have changed by now, but one/or more devepers mentioned that GW is not really fond of modding, something something copyright issues.

• 3 weeks later...

5 minutes ago, Montuhotep said:

I know they may be trying to invoke the spirit of earlier FPS games, right back to Doom and Wolfenstein, potentially, but it's clear that the budget did not go on the graphics......

Would cheap graphics look like that though? Pixelated suggests old, not cheap. That has to be design choice. I'm willing to bet those pixels are pretty high-def textures designed to look like pixels.

58 minutes ago, Montuhotep said:

I know they may be trying to invoke the spirit of earlier FPS games, right back to Doom and Wolfenstein, potentially, but it's clear that the budget did not go on the graphics......

But, and hear me out, what if that was the point of the art style and graphics.

3 hours ago, Montuhotep said:

anything that can be modded will be modded.  Doom to Brutal Doom, for example. Someone will have a blast with that end of this game. 

3 hours ago, Montuhotep said:

The retro graphics are literally the point.  If you think the graphics are LITERALLY the same as Doom and Wolfenstein, well, I would suggest watching any video of Boltgun to see how the style apes those games, but is actually pretty high fidelity when compared to games of old.

4 hours ago, ShibeKing said:

Don't really like FPS games anymore, but I'll still pick this up and give it a shot. 

I get that. Most of the time I see an FPS these days it's a tedious olive drab military shooter. No wonder there is a resurgence of what is now called "Boomer Shooters" as a palette cleanser. I didn't really care for Boltgun until I saw it in motion, then I realised the game has got quite a lot of personality. They say they are aiming for 80's Doom or Wolfenstein as inspiration but I owned Alien Trilogy on my Sega Saturn in around 1995-6 and this still looks more detailed, fluid and with a greater sense of mobility.

It does look like a lot of fun, and as a fan of throwback shooters I'm looking forward to it. I also heard they're including options to make the visuals look more authentically crusty, which is very cool.

My one regret is that I kinda wish they went for the low-poly 3D look ala Quake (or the hard-as-all-hell but very cool looking Alien Resurrection game for the PS1) but that's pure bias on my part.

23 hours ago, Warhead01 said:

anything that can be modded will be modded.  Doom to Brutal Doom, for example. Someone will have a blast with that end of this game. 

I do hope that this game gets mod support. Be it maps or sprite reworks. I'll take anything!