[Video game] Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun

I can't help feeling that a year ago this would have been written off as yet another "shovelware" release making poor use of the 40k license, but there seems to be a bit of a bandwagon for this kind of game at the moment.

Odd that the trailer goes to the effort of explaining the box is from circa 1999 but the game is found on a floppy disk. First person shooters from that era looked more like this:

Half_Life_1_Free_Download_For_PC.jpg

It looks more like a game from about 1993-4 to me. I know it's not a big issue but it just bugged me.

It looks like fairly harmless fun but it's not tickling my retro desire sadly.

• 9 months later...

I'm not gonna lie, it looks very good but slightly...wrong. I think it's the lighting and glow effects, they look to be too high-fidelity for the era they're aiming for. I've played a few throwback shooters (The Citadel and Dusk) and also some Doom and Quake, and compared to them it looks a bit too flashy? That said I'm interested in the graphics slider, that might fix those complaints.

10 hours ago, Evil Eye said:

I'm not gonna lie, it looks very good but slightly...wrong. I think it's the lighting and glow effects, they look to be too high-fidelity for the era they're aiming for. I've played a few throwback shooters (The Citadel and Dusk) and also some Doom and Quake, and compared to them it looks a bit too flashy? That said I'm interested in the graphics slider, that might fix those complaints.

looks like Quake environments in a bit sharper res and Doom/Wolfenstein weapons / effects / enemies, basically, it's a full on nostalgia run but looks cool :)

11 hours ago, System Sound said:

Its looking great so far!

I just hope it has a level editor. Knowing GW of course the mods won't be officially supported, but perhaps it won't be hard to add them anyways.

Why wouldn't GW allow modding? The Total War Warhammer games have absolutely huge ranges of mods on the Steam Workshop including stuff that adds entire factions to the game.