Predicting Primaris (Again): Will the generic range be "complete" in 10th Edition?

44 minutes ago, Black Blow Fly said:

What’s "pteruges" ?

Pteruges refers to the decorative skirt of leather or fabric strips worn around the waists of roman and greek warriors and soldiers. Makes more sense if you see the Joytoy they're talking about (it's the one on the right):

whvblvosfbh91.thumb.jpg.cd32c4b2a208cddf2d48e4dacdd02dc4.jpg

And a snippet from a video on YouTube:

Screenshot_20220822-115328_YouTube.thumb.jpg.55536dbab756962623d0f680e0590efd.jpg

Edited by Lemondish

16 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

I’d really like a proper veteran intercessors kit… with options. 

imo, veteran intercessors default loadout should be:

bolt rifle, chainsword, heavy bolt pistol

Regarding loadout, I feel like a veteran kit would include wider access to those combi-weapons introduced with Black Templars.

Edited by Lemondish

1 hour ago, Lemondish said:

Regarding loadout, I feel like a veteran kit would include wider access to those combi-weapons introduced with Black Templars.

absolutely, I was just referring to the base loadout. I want vet intercessors to be able to do the job of both kinds of intercessor natively, and then have some unit upgrades available on top - replace chainswords with power weapons, replace HBPs with other pistols, replace bolt rifles with combi bolt rifles.

(Apologies up front for the long post. Feel free to scroll past).

Yeah, I like the combi option idea for the Veterans and I really do think there was a lot of "foreshadowing" in the Templars line for stuff that will be getting ported from the Firstborn range to generic Primaris releases (combis, power axes and mauls, Scouts [doing business as Neophytes], Shotguns, even the first "Champion" model...)

Those may sound mundane as they're all things that pre-exist in the Firstborn range as I said, but I think ALL of them will be showing up in the generic Primaris range during Tenth Edition. Along with the anticipated upgrade kit that should effectively turn the Intercessors into taller Tacticals, the one thing they have in common is that they're pretty much directly stepping on the toes of the Firstborn range in a way that I believe GW is now comfortable doing out in the open, unlike the first few years where it was a constant spin of "Oh NO, the Primaris aren't replacing the existing Space Marines! These new models fit IN BETWEEN those units! They're helping!!!"

Which is why we got such narrow options for the Intercessors, a "Devastator" EQ squad that was limited to plasma, a jump squad in heavy armor unlike anything in the Firstborn range (with no melee option to boot), a "Fire Support" heavy-armored squad who seemed to have cribbed one of their loadouts from the Storm Bolter and Power Fist version of the Terminators but was careful not to tread anywhere near their more iconic Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield loadout... and a squad in "light" power armor that fell in between "regular" armor and scout armor.

No koinkydink that the first major expansion to the Primaris range was focused on Phobos, again that armor pattern that simply didn't have an equivalent in the Firstborn range.

But then Ninth comes along and we see Assault Intercessors with the same basic loadout as Assault Marines but who've sworn off jump capability and Outriders who are straight-up Biker replacements but whose full kit is held back. And the Gladiator which is flat-out promoted as a Predator replacement (YMMV on how well it actually succeeded at that). And the Storm Speeders...

So I think the line has been tiptoed up to and by the time Tenth is over it will have been completely obliterated. If something EXISTS in the Firstborn range, I believe it will have at least a close equivalent by the time the dust settles on Tenth. And I expect most of those replacement kits to show up at the launch of Tenth, with probably just the Scout kits being held for the 10.2 wave long about 2025.

To be clear, I'm talking about the plastic 40K Firstborn range, not anything specific to Heresy nor anywhere close to equivalents for all the Forge World stuff.

In fact, on the Forge World front, I think odds are very good that the Atraeus gets some competition from a plastic Lord of War tank at some point in Tenth as well. That datasheet for the Astraeus always struck me as going out of its way to make it clear that the tank wasn't a "proper" Primaris vehicle, being instead slapped together and produced by Mezoa with no input from Cawl... almost like they were laying the groundwork for an actual Cawl-pattern super-heavy tank to show up at some point.

I also think we finally get plastic Servitors in Tenth (again another "preview" in the Black Templars kits). Only thing is, those could well show up first as part of an AdMech or Guard range expansion and just happily get a downloadable datasheet for Space Marines, assuming there are any loadout variations from the existing one. Might even see a proper "Heavy Servitors" unit too.

Edited by Lord Nord

13 hours ago, Lord Nord said:

(Apologies up front for the long post. Feel free to scroll past).

Yeah, I like the combi option idea for the Veterans and I really do think there was a lot of "foreshadowing" in the Templars line for stuff that will be getting ported from the Firstborn range to generic Primaris releases (combis, power axes and mauls, Scouts [doing business as Neophytes], Shotguns, even the first "Champion" model...)

Those may sound mundane as they're all things that pre-exist in the Firstborn range as I said, but I think ALL of them will be showing up in the generic Primaris range during Tenth Edition. Along with the anticipated upgrade kit that should effectively turn the Intercessors into taller Tacticals, the one thing they have in common is that they're pretty much directly stepping on the toes of the Firstborn range in a way that I believe GW is now comfortable doing out in the open, unlike the first few years where it was a constant spin of "Oh NO, the Primaris aren't replacing the existing Space Marines! These new models fit IN BETWEEN those units! They're helping!!!"

Which is why we got such narrow options for the Intercessors, a "Devastator" EQ squad that was limited to plasma, a jump squad in heavy armor unlike anything in the Firstborn range (with no melee option to boot), a "Fire Support" heavy-armored squad who seemed to have cribbed one of their loadouts from the Storm Bolter and Power Fist version of the Terminators but was careful not to tread anywhere near their more iconic Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield loadout... and a squad in "light" power armor that fell in between "regular" armor and scout armor.

No koinkydink that the first major expansion to the Primaris range was focused on Phobos, again that armor pattern that simply didn't have an equivalent in the Firstborn range.

But then Ninth comes along and we see Assault Intercessors with the same basic loadout as Assault Marines but who've sworn off jump capability and Outriders who are straight-up Biker replacements but whose full kit is held back. And the Gladiator which is flat-out promoted as a Predator replacement (YMMV on how well it actually succeeded at that). And the Storm Speeders...

So I think the line has been tiptoed up to and by the time Tenth is over it will have been completely obliterated. If something EXISTS in the Firstborn range, I believe it will have at least a close equivalent by the time the dust settles on Tenth. And I expect most of those replacement kits to show up at the launch of Tenth, with probably just the Scout kits being held for the 10.2 wave long about 2025.

To be clear, I'm talking about the plastic 40K Firstborn range, not anything specific to Heresy nor anywhere close to equivalents for all the Forge World stuff.

In fact, on the Forge World front, I think odds are very good that the Atraeus gets some competition from a plastic Lord of War tank at some point in Tenth as well. That datasheet for the Astraeus always struck me as going out of its way to make it clear that the tank wasn't a "proper" Primaris vehicle, being instead slapped together and produced by Mezoa with no input from Cawl... almost like they were laying the groundwork for an actual Cawl-pattern super-heavy tank to show up at some point.

I also think we finally get plastic Servitors in Tenth (again another "preview" in the Black Templars kits). Only thing is, those could well show up first as part of an AdMech or Guard range expansion and just happily get a downloadable datasheet for Space Marines, assuming there are any loadout variations from the existing one. Might even see a proper "Heavy Servitors" unit too.

theres not gonna be an upgrade sprue for intercessors, the infiltrators got it.

52 minutes ago, The Emperors Champion22 said:

theres not gonna be an upgrade sprue for intercessors, the infiltrators got it.

Why would you think the two are mutually exclusive? None of the options I expect to see for the Intercessor upgrade kit actually showed up as part of the Phobos Strike Team sprue.

FWIW, the Kill Team roadmap was set out for the next year. Nothing really new except confirmation that there will continue to be releases every quarter and that this "Gallowdark" Space Hulk theme will roll out over the coming year.

BUT...

With that sequence in place, it means that the last box should be dropping long about next June.

JUST as Tenth Edition is likely to be coming out.

And what better way to finish out the Space Hulk adventure than with the Imperium finally calling in its heaviest of hitters and giving us our long-awaited Terminator EQ squad? Right in time for them to be included in the 10th-Ed Space Marine Codex?

Shout out to @Wolf Guard Einar who mentioned this possibility in the thread on the main page before I had a chance to weigh in. I have to think the chance that GW would go through this first major year-long Kill Team journey without involving the Space Marines is somewhere around nil. And obviously there HAVE been rumors of Terminators being somehow involved in a Space Hulk product next spring, pre-dating our knowledge that Kill Team was going to be Space Hulk focused during that time.

Not only would the timing of that last release line up with the presumed launch window of Tenth, but it would also be exactly a year after the Space Marines' only KT21 appearance to date, and THAT was just in the form the Phobos Strike Team upgrade sprue, not an actual new kit. Clearly, that's not enough milking of the Space Marine cow to keep GW happy.

(EDIT: I guess I should point out that the rumors aren't in complete agreement on whether these "Primaris Terminators" are actual Primaris in Terminator armor, Primaris in Gravis Armor with the typical Terminator loadout of TH+SS, or actual Honest-to-Emperor Primaris-sized Firstborn Terminators in new "true scale" sculpts. Hopefully it won't take ten months to at least find that out).

Edited by Lord Nord

4 minutes ago, Lord Nord said:

Shout out to @Wolf Guard Einar who mentioned this possibility in the thread on the main page before I had a chance to weigh in. I have to think the chance that GW would go through this first major year-long Kill Team journey without involving the Space Marines is somewhere around nil. And obviously there HAVE been rumors of Terminators being somehow involved in a Space Hulk product next spring, pre-dating our knowledge that Kill Team was going to be Space Hulk focused during that time.

I would be happy to sell all your major organs to get at least 20 Primaris Terminators :P

Edited by Wolf Guard Einar

4 minutes ago, Wolf Guard Einar said:

I would be happy to sell all your major organs to get at least 20 Primaris Terminators :P

Sorry, all I got is one secondhand piano. Ought to be good for an entire T'au army.

Do you guys think we will get more units like Hounds of Morkai and Death Company Intercessors? 

I think these units, while maybe not competitive, do a decent enough job of injecting flavor and uniqueness, while not necessarily needing new models. 

Like if they just repackaged (primaris unit x) with a themed upgrade sprue, you could do a lot. 

Like a Raven Guard themed upgrade sprue and bonus rules for a Phobos unit (take your pick). Or Bladeguard with Dark Angel Death wing style blades and shields. Or White Scars version of Hopefully an eventual Outrider MPK. 

5 minutes ago, UnkyHamHam said:

Do you guys think we will get more units like Hounds of Morkai and Death Company Intercessors? 

I think these units, while maybe not competitive, do a decent enough job of injecting flavor and uniqueness, while not necessarily needing new models. 

Like if they just repackaged (primaris unit x) with a themed upgrade sprue, you could do a lot. 

Like a Raven Guard themed upgrade sprue and bonus rules for a Phobos unit (take your pick). Or Bladeguard with Dark Angel Death wing style blades and shields. Or White Scars version of Hopefully an eventual Outrider MPK. 

Guess it depends on what you mean like them.

chapter specific upgrades for already existing units? Hopefully not.

chapter specific units? Yes, we better.

6 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Guess it depends on what you mean like them.

chapter specific upgrades for already existing units? Hopefully not.

chapter specific units? Yes, we better.

Specifically easy wins for GW, production wise. Like no new models, but unique spins on existing kits like the mentioned Reiver and Intercessors. 

All you need is rules to make them work. And if you must, repackage the appropriate chapter upgrade sprue with the intended unit. Wah-la, new unit.