[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (OOC)

Mazer Rackham

Just to clarify as I may have missed/misunderstood it, where is the facility we are in now? I thought we were on Damocles, but now I'm assuming we aren't within the main Hive (if we're going to discuss options for entering it?)

Are we planetside in another Hive? External spaceport? Somewhere in orbit?

2 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Just to clarify as I may have missed/misunderstood it, where is the facility we are in now? I thought we were on Damocles, but now I'm assuming we aren't within the main Hive (if we're going to discuss options for entering it?)

Are we planetside in another Hive? External spaceport? Somewhere in orbit?

We are in a complex outside the main hive (but still conect to it in some ways). The Story post for Falk/Bardas/Nicio arriving mentioned a train that had left the hive.

I'll answer a lot of the game queries in here so we don't blitz the IC with reposts.

@Lysimachus: (ninja'd a bit by Tro) you are on Damocles, a long tube journey to a secured facility outside and away from the hive. Technically you should have been on a remote, secure Inquisition facility within striking distance of Damocles on a moon somewhere, but current evolution of the situation worked out better overall, since it adds a measure of self-interest to the Inquisition operation, as if all three of the nucleonic stacks go up, Damocles is finished.

Which is a problem, since it forms a string of bulwark worlds the Imperium can launch into the the Gulf from, and fall back to if there's a problem.

It's just that the Vault as the Cabal Vinculum call it, is now in the middle of the fireworks.

@Trokair: (Nice new avatar!) The kit will be functionally common in nature so not to be outlandish enough to attract attention. You are free to set up a network between them and harden it, but it will require a Challenging (+0) Tech Use Test to do that. Whatever your DoS, that will be the difficulty for anyone trying to break into your network. You will be free to make it so the Inquisition handlers cannot hear you either - but if you do that, it's a compromise: You won't be able to call them for help or updates. There will be chronos, micro and comm beads with enough vox bandwidth for voice comms and location pings, but anything else will get higher tech.

Up to you if you want the risk of Applum Mackintus ear pods. They'll beam Ancient Hymns all the way from Terra, but will have your head cracked open for them in five minutes.

@Lord_Ikka: I've had a couple of queries relating to gear and enhancements, so I'll respond publicly. Since there is literally so much kit being made available for this job (draw your own conclusions from that) if your (or anybody's) ranged weapon is Abundant, Plentiful or Common, I will permit up to two extra reloads (for one weapon) to be available on top of what you're already carrying. Be advised to bear in mind encumbrance, since ammo weighs 10% of the weapon weight. There are no new weapons, upgraded weapons, or additional weapons (More knives etc) just ammo. (Bullets, Charge packs - not Hotshot - Shotgun/Revolver shells, that kind of thing).

And no, going into the armoury was fine :wink:.

Note that whatever weapons people are carrying, AFAIAC they count as loaded when you bought them, so 'With one clip' means +1 magazine on top of your loaded firearm.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything else related to this here...

Spoiler

Unless you want it secret...

EDIT: And yes, we know Beren means Stitches/Stimms/Garvek :happy:

Edited by Mazer Rackham

58 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

EDIT: And yes, we know Beren means Stitches/Stimms/Garvek :happy:

For a moment I thought we had Astartes backup. :P

58 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

@Trokair: (Nice new avatar!) The kit will be functionally common in nature so not to be outlandish enough to attract attention. You are free to set up a network between them and harden it, but it will require a Challenging (+0) Tech Use Test to do that. Whatever your DoS, that will be the difficulty for anyone trying to break into your network. You will be free to make it so the Inquisition handlers cannot hear you either - but if you do that, it's a compromise: You won't be able to call them for help or updates. There will be chronos, micro and comm beads with enough vox bandwidth for voice comms and location pings, but anything else will get higher tech.

Up to you if you want the risk of Applum Mackintus ear pods. They'll beam Ancient Hymns all the way from Terra, but will have your head cracked open for them in five minutes.

Thanks, with the Lieber Mechanicum almost here I will be taking my 30k Mech force out of storage and onto the table soon, so a change felt in order.  

I’ll have a post up in a bit where Bardas will try to network the comms and then give each other party member one.

Do we have a designated team leader?

Edited by Trokair

@GM:

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not sure (between IC and OOC) exactly what pieces of kit we'll be given/offered? Would you mind giving us a list?

If I've put it together right, we can each take:

A Micro-bead, a Chrono, a Cartograph (presumably with Hive Primus layout loaded on it, otherwise not much point?), 1 dose each of Anti-tox and Anti-rad, and up to 2x reloads for Abundant, Plentiful or Common weapons (but only standard ammo).

Does that cover it, and if so, should we add those items to our Gear on our sheets?

(Apologies if you are already working on an Armoury post or the like to cover this point! :sweat:)

Edited by Lysimachus

@Lysimachus Yes, all correct. The cartograph will be posted in the Dataslate Thread.

I was working on a post to lay this all out, :rolleyes: but hey, saves me a job. :biggrin: Yes, you can update your player sheets.

THE GM LIFE:

Spoiler

Edited by Mazer Rackham

1 hour ago, Trokair said:

...if I really need more than 180 shots we are in all sorts of trouble....

Oh really...*scribbles in notebook*

Tro, I've noted in your post you've put "Players Only".

Unfortunately, I'm also the GM and I need to know everything, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to pull the spoiler. I haven't revealed it, so if suggests me being eaten by a giant carnivorous Toblerone, you have the chance to change it. :whistling:

Edited by Mazer Rackham
Clarity.

Bardas is not satisfied with the situation as explained and suspects that even now things might be compromised, hence why he tried to make private coms for just the people who arrived at the same time as him. Least chance of one of them being compromised, and if one is then it is all for naught anyway. You even suggest he could try to exclude their handlers, which I was angling for anyway one way or another.  

As such the player only was for characters piloted by us players, not any NPC you as GM might be piloting (or so Bardas intends). With you GM hat on you are free to look, GMs are omnipotent after all, just try to not have any of the npcs find out. ... Unless of course they were going to anyway and Bardas’s suspicions are correct and this is a game of quadruple double agents squared or what not.

Edited by Trokair

I'm not sure where Reynard got picked up by Falk? I was thinking maybe as he's a relative newcomer to Damocles, it could have been somewhere outside of Hive Primus (either one of the other, lesser Hives or even further out on an orbital/system facility?). So he shouldn't be recognized by any locals in Primus, and could pose as a completely new visitor to Damocles?

Perhaps as Nicios said, he could pretend to be an envoy from somewhere else to one of the Trading Houses... or maybe a young noble scion from another world doing his 'Grand Tour' (in the style of 17-19th century Earth)? Might give us a way in if we need to deal with anyone further uphive?

(And the plan would admittedly suit Reynard's somewhat inflated ego too... :biggrin:)

In which case, again as Nicios mentioned, a bodyguard could be appropriate…

...this is just spitballing, but maybe Necro's Penitent, as he looks like the Loyal Retainer type and is also new to Damocles, I think? (Might also make for some fun RP, considering his upright and reverent nature as opposed to Reynard's more… flexible attitude? :tongue:)

And if that works, arriving by lander to the upper spaceport would make sense?

…but all of that is just one idea and assuming no one has any objections to it?

Edited by Lysimachus

On 8/13/2022 at 2:47 PM, Mazer Rackham said:

I'll answer a lot of the game queries in here so we don't blitz the IC with reposts.

@Lysimachus: (ninja'd a bit by Tro) you are on Damocles, a long tube journey to a secured facility outside and away from the hive.

Note that whatever weapons people are carrying, AFAIAC they count as loaded when you bought them, so 'With one clip' means +1 magazine on top of your loaded firearm.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything else related to this here...

Reveal hidden contents

Unless you want it secret...

Any Inferno Cartridges for Shotguns?

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Ok crew, who is going where and doing what?

Reynard on the plane, Nicios on the train, anyone for the automobile? :smile:

Upon any mention of a Shuttle/Plane/Lander and Space-Port then Kerr Restal will adamantly insist on that option. 

He didn't arrive at the Hive via the space-port, he came in via the wasteland. His shuttle was damaged by raiders that he was hunting. He managed to in turn shoot them down near some remote Tech Facility....

@Machine God No, there should be no special ammunition at all, so if anyone did pick any up, can you scrub it please.

There are reloads and ammunition for Plentiful, Abundant, Common, weapons - not spec ammo which qualifies as any of these. Apologies for confusion.

If you want spec ammo, you're going to have to buy in in-hive.

In other news, we're up to three for shuttlecraft/lander, and two for the train.

Umm... sorry boss, is the above only referring to stuff picked up from the Armoury here... or does it include stuff we bought at character creation with our starting wealth? (Ie. things we've brought in with us)

I bought a single hotshot charge pack, which maybe I shouldn't have done?

Will remove it from my Gear list and add the Thrones back to my wealth if you wish?

Edited by Lysimachus

Good lord, I go to watch a vid of Bud Spencer slapping some guy, and when I get back everyone is setting fire to their chargen sheets, being paranoid, going Full Metal Jacket, cutting up their bedding!

Calm down you lot!

Righto - Spec ammo you've bought at chargen is yours.

The armoury stuff contains no spec ammo, just regular ammo.

Leave your chargen sheet alone, you ink-tinkerers! :tongue:

Edited by Mazer Rackham