[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (OOC)

Mazer Rackham

Just a quick note going forward everyone, all your rolls should be in your IC posts, (spoilered where possible and in green text) just so I can see them in one place. Also please try and give me your DoS (Degrees of Success) and DoF (Degrees of Failure) just for quick reference.

Don't fret about this now.

Since we've had 2 successes out of four, I'll resolve any failures individually in the IC.

EDIT: I realise with hindsight, that I haven't fully addressed Tro's question - so I've changed my mind, and won't leave you hanging (ha, pun).

Edited by Mazer Rackham

14 minutes ago, Trokair said:

Gulp! my dice don't like me today.

Bring forth the fate point rerolls.

(one notable difference between Dark Heresy and Deathwatch is that acolytes refresh their fate points after every 'game session' rather than every full mission - so they have a lot of rerolls to counteract their life-threatening levels of ineptness)

Edited by A.T.

1 hour ago, A.T. said:

Bring forth the fate point rerolls.

(one notable difference between Dark Heresy and Deathwatch is that acolytes refresh their fate points after every 'game session' rather than every full mission - so they have a lot of rerolls to counteract their life-threatening levels of ineptness)

Tis true, but Marines do get their Demeanours to generate a temp fate point as well to offset.

If you want to FP the roll Tro, go ahead, and I will change my narrative for Bardas.

Just don't roll 6 DoF, ok? :blink:

Fate point used, was about to post as new post when I saw this and you post in the other thread, so have edited instead, will now go and read said other thread to see what Bardas's fate is as i still failed, just not as badley.

Edit: ok rolled for damage and fatige, Bardas is alive, just!

Edit the second, currently reading up fatigue and other injury stuff, i guess Bardas is unconcious.

Edited by Trokair

Sorry Tro, with your dice having deserted you so completely, not much more I could do with narrative consequence, other than have all of your weapons gone and you reaching Primus naked! :blink:

It's better than flat fail states, at least.

Yes, from the looks of it, you're unconscious, and at the bottom of a wide tunnel.

We will have to see what Bardas' story has for him from here. You never know, it might be a better experience...

EDIT: Couldn't think of Necro's plight without seeing this  -although we haven't had Kerr Restal yet...! :blink:

+ WARNING - The spoilered link below has a naughty word, and is a bit gross (the latter isn't against board policy).+

Spoiler

Edited by Mazer Rackham

So, if I'm understanding right, what Penitent is seeing is the aftereffect of Tertius' exploding, it had already happened minutes/hours ago when Verdict was briefing us?

Or has it literally just happened (and is the cause of Voyager's suddenly wild flying?) ...but Verdict knew it was about to happen? (In the process of meltdown or something?)

Agreed, it will make the investigation/sneaking around much harder...

EDIT: Presumably once the Lander levels out a bit we can all see what is happening outside without needing to roll further...?

Edited by Lysimachus

12 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

1 So, if I'm understanding right, what Penitent is seeing is the aftereffect of Tertius' exploding, it had already happened minutes/hours ago when Verdict was briefing us?

2 Or has it literally just happened (and is the cause of Voyager's suddenly wild flying?) ...but Verdict knew it was about to happen? (In the process of meltdown or something?)

3 Agreed, it will make the investigation/sneaking around much harder...

EDIT: Presumably once the Lander levels out a bit we can all see what is happening outside within needing to roll further...?

1/2: You'll have to ask Verdict, ascertain that yourself.

3: Not...entirely...but such are the burdens you will carry.

And as for the edit - you're going into orbit. The next thing you see will be friction heat from the atmosphere, then the glory of Hector's Revenge...

8 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Damn, I feel real lucky having avoided getting an 88... time to help rescue the doc.

:thumbsup:

You lads can decide between yourselves who does the majority of pulling (narratively you should pull together) but you may choose between you who has the highest Strength, benefitting from a +20 total.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

@Lysimachus, our GM's description almost leads me to believe that perhaps Hive Tertius has been exterminatus-ed from low orbit. That or I am thinking too much in terms of the Meme-Inquisition being trigger-happy, genocidal nitwits, and Hive Tertius were instead sabotaged as per the clues and implication given during the briefing. ;)

2 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

You lads can decide between yourselves who does the majority of pulling (narratively you should pull together) but you may choose between you who has the highest Strength, benefitting from a +20 total.

Falk and Nicios have the same strength I think, at 33. 

6 hours ago, Necronaut said:

@Lysimachus, our GM's description almost leads me to believe that perhaps Hive Tertius has been exterminatus-ed from low orbit. That or I am thinking too much in terms of the Meme-Inquisition being trigger-happy, genocidal nitwits, and Hive Tertius were instead sabotaged as per the clues and implication given during the briefing. ;)

Not impossible... though I'm kind of assuming it is the enemy sabotage...?

What I'm not clear on is when it happened. Are we just seeing the aftermath, it had already happened when Verdict was briefing us, which is why he was so sure of the threat being real... but in that case why didn't he just say 'we know the threat is real cos Tertius has already exploded'? Seems like it would have been in the briefing?

Or it did literally just happen right now as we were flying and Voyager pulled up suddenly to avoid a blast wave and that is why no one had mentioned that one of the Hives had already been destroyed (which makes more sense to me, but it does raise the question for later of whether/how Verdict knew it was about to happen?)

@Mazer: Has the Lander stopped jerking around enough for us to go ask Voyager what the hell is going on? If so, does the shuttle have its own internal gravity plates so we can walk to him or is it a case of floating over to the cockpit?

Edited by Lysimachus

8 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Falk and Nicios have the same strength I think, at 33. 

No worries then, someone just needs to make a roll.

2 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

@Mazer: Has the Lander stopped jerking around enough for us to go ask Voyager what the hell is going on? If so, does the shuttle have its own internal gravity plates so we can walk to him or is it a case of floating over to the cockpit?

The lander isn't quite jerking around, the vomit comet has travelled along the ground for some 300 miles, then abruptly launched upward in a narrow trajectory, heading for orbit. It has then rolled (like the space shuttle does) to put all atmospheric friction against the armoured underbelly. You're barfing because you aren't used to it and not equipped with pressure suits.

The slight bump and grind you're experiencing is turbulence. The detonation of Tertius is on the horizon, several thousands of miles away. It's just that you're so high up (at the moment of the roll) that you can see it.

Once in orbit, and level out, yes you can talk to him. Artificial gravity exists within your cabin, and engine noise will be low enough for conversation.

We're just hanging fire for Kerr Restal's rolls.

2 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Just re-read what happened to the lander folk. Less than a day in and we have 5 million casualties? Not an auspicious start to our service for the Holy Ordos.

Grim.

Dark.

:pirate:

Edited by Mazer Rackham

So is Bardas now started on the real adventure while the rest of us are being distracted by plots and Heresy?

(And why am I suddenly so jealous of his turn of events?!)

Dis git iz green wiv envy! Haw haw!

WAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

Edited by Necronaut

1 hour ago, Necronaut said:

So is Bardas now started on the real adventure while the rest of us are being distracted by plots and Heresy?

(And why am I suddenly so jealous of his turn of events?!)

So you're saying you want to fail lots of rolls and see how much disaster you can survive? I like your moxie!

Why don't you open a window on the lander...?

52 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

So you're saying you want to fail lots of rolls and see how much disaster you can survive? I like your moxie!

Why don't you open a window on the lander...?

I've been playing a long-running game of Zweihander (repurposed WHFRP) with some of my RL mates, and that system is essentially Medieval Comedy Torture Hour Roleplaying: The Game. So yes, in essence -- my masochism knows no bounds. 

Just now, Necronaut said:

I've been playing a long-running game of Zweihander (repurposed WHFRP) with some of my RL mates, and that system is essentially Medieval Comedy Torture Hour Roleplaying: The Game. So yes, in essence -- my masochism knows no bounds. 

We ran a pre-written WHFRP game last year and it did seem to require an improbable number of skill checks for any and all actions. One character almost died trying to climb up a 10' ladder, and the entire party was almost wiped out walking over a small stone bridge. It was like playing one of the old Gygax dungeons, but rather than putting in creative traps and puzzles the author just decided to make the players roll every three steps to see if they tripped over their own feet and died.

Looking at the map, do we have to travel through the Underhive (black blocks) to reach House Tirant territory? Right now it looks like there are three underhive blocks from the train terminus to get to the first of the lower hive blocks. If so, our travel time looks to be 7 hours (3 underhive blocks and four Tirant blocks), or 4 hours if there is a direct connection from the terminus to the lowest "left" Tirant block.

To @A.T. and @Beren - Nicios is pretty weak on the whole Toughness stat, so moving super-fast won't be an option for him...