[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (OOC)

Mazer Rackham

13 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Looking at the map, do we have to travel through the Underhive (black blocks) to reach House Tirant territory?

No, you can assume there are lifts/stairwells/escalators to take you into the lower stratum.

A certain amount of propriety is warranted for Magistrates and other notaries travelling between hives, don't you know! :happy:

I can't quite remember where I read it, but (if I'm remembering it right...) I think the spaceport was said to be very close to the Templum of St. Iacinda?

Would it be fitting for Reynard and Scourge to pass through it and pay their respects (briefly) on their way downhive?

Reynard doesn't really care, of course, but it's the sort of thing an upstanding young nobleman like Bertram would do first on arrival? And I guess Scourge (and/or Restal? I'm still not sure if he's staying with us or making his own way once off the Lander?) might want to seek the Emperor's blessing on their task?

Edit: I assume we won't be rushing/running too much, as it wouldn't fit with Bertram's story... and Reynard's T is pretty abysmal too! :sweat:

Edited by Lysimachus

Don't forget, you can buy services in the hive - quite common.

See the Dark Heresy Core for examples, but down here (lower stratum) we're talking stuff like palanquins or auto-rickshaws, that kind of thing. Air cars can be found mid-hive and beyond, but of course all of these cost money, and air car taxis will require registration.

You may of course up/down grade:

• Poor Quality (+15 mins per block, but dirt cheap and very inconspicuous)
  • Common Quality is standard travel
  • Good Quality (-15 mins per block)
  • Best Quality (Travel 1/2)

Swings and roundabouts.

You may also commandeer any vehicle, service or personnel "In the name of the Holy Inquisition" but the risks therein are obvious.

@Lysimachus yes, that's right. It is a short trip uphive from the landing pad. It could also serve as your rendezvous if you wanted to arrive after snooping.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Quick question:

I think it's been mentioned that the Sanctum where the Sepulturum lab is based has filled prescriptions for others...

So by Sanctum, do you mean a larger area (a whole Hive block or whatever?) that is like a hospital/medical research type place, that average citizens do know about? (But the Inquisition's facility is based within that area, and obvs is hidden?)

If that's correct, who runs the hospital? Is it a Sororitas Order Hospitaller or something?

Edited by Lysimachus

2 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

Quick question:

I think it's been mentioned that the Sanctum where the Sepulturum lab is based has filled prescriptions for others...

So by Sanctum, do you mean a larger area (a whole Hive block or whatever?) that is like a hospital/medical research type place, that average citizens do know about? (But the Inquisition's facility is based within that area, and obvs is hidden?)

If that's correct, who runs the hospital? Is it a Sororitas Order Hospitaller or something?

The Sanctum does indeed comprise the whole block. It was once an outreach mission of the Hospitaller, but was converted into a medical templum and one sector was given over to the Sepulturum. The Sanctum was presided over by a 'Factor' of House Grunberg. He continues his duty, but for how long after the autoclaving has destroyed the back half of the facility, is anyone's guess. 

The Sanctum would be known well on the mid-tier, spoken of in different tones by the other tiers. It would be beneath anyone who could afford their own surgeon, to go to such a place.

Ah, gotcha, Grunberg because it's Medicae (and on the border between their demense and Tirant's)?

So, based on the instructions in the latest IC post, are we free to move off the lander and through the spaceport narratively without getting stopped, or do you want to hold us anywhere?

You have it, although the Sanctum is considered neutral ground. Grunberg supply and run it, but technically it belongs to the hive.

Just for now don't go anywhere - I'm holding off an update to allow Tro or the others on the train to respond to the IC interaction there, then I will close off this chapter and move us all into the hive proper, at 0000hrs Zulu.

Spoiler

And thereby start the Mission Clock. :pirate:

File I found on 3dcults, technically the Captain from this command group. Asked around at the local store/club and one of the D&D players printed it for me, then I trimmed back the swords (that’s what the water bottle is hiding) and spear point, added the rifle and did a hand swap.  Tried to do a hood with greenstuff but after three failed attempts i just left it as is.

Spoiler

jap-monk-cg.jpg

Edited by Trokair

Really nice work, definitely gets the feel of the character across!

I was considering doing a mini for Reynard, possibly getting this mini printed:

Spoiler

large.Screenshot_20220821-123756_eBay.jp

It would need some work; swapping weapons to laspistol and sawn-off shotgun, the clothes might need some GS to tidy/fancy up the frayed bits... and the big job would be to use plasticard/gs to add his long coat...

...but the face, pose and general attitude feel right for Reynard?

Edited by Lysimachus

6 hours ago, Trokair said:

I think it would be in character for Reynard to have a las pistol that looked like a much simpler less deadly flintlock.

I was definitely thinking something with more of an elegant look, possibly one of the long barrelled variants from the Escher Gang kit? And there is a sawn-off double barrelled shotgun in the Outcasts kit, which is perfect... as long they work with the base mini ok in terms of scale...?

...think it would be ok, as it is apparently 32mm scale and the Necromunda minis are bigger than regular 40k stuff?

On 8/9/2022 at 7:36 PM, Machine God said:

An Internet Cookie for whoever tells me where I got the Name(s) from for my Character.

No-one wins a Cookie.

Kerr Restal is made up of the Forename and Surname of two characters from Blakes 7.

Kerr Avon - The Genius.

&

Villa Restal - The Thief.

Edited by Machine God
typo

Chapter 2 and YOU.

Alright boys and girls, we need to deal with a couple of things before we move on:

• XP
  • Conditions of Play

XP:

You all receive 200xp for your participation thus far. On top of this, I am prepared to offer Players a "Potion of Clearance" as it were, to allow Players to re-jig their sheets. This may include the awarded XP here, and is intended to allow you all to finalise or adjust your builds based on the premises you have encountered and the style of play we are engaged in. Remember if you are rebuilding, you will need to build up through the Ranks, not just snaffle everything from Rank 3!

Speaking of which:

Conditions of Play:

Once the Deadline Clock starts, you will be expected to perform all three actions below at least once in each 24 hour period.

1. Eat something
  2. Drink a beverage which is not an intoxicant (you may, it WILL count, but bear in mind the effects)
  3. Rest for at least 1 hour (even on the ground)

The facilities to do all of this are in the Hive, or can be acquired. No loading up with doubles in a single period, they don't stack and will be discounted. You will all be counted as rested and refreshed for purposes of recommencing the game. You are not Space Marines, this is Fallout 4 on Survival Mode. Hard action and investigations take time, and are tiring. If you go more than 24 hours without completing the list, I will consider penalties (I will apply and moderate these).

You have time, use your time.

I am open to discussion about these caveats here in the OOC.

+++++++

On a related note, I'd also welcome any comments or thoughts on the game so far. (Tone, expectations, interactions, plot points etc).

Big Boy Trousers/Big Girl Jodhpurs work both ways, after all. :cool:

Excellent!

I'm fairly happy with Reynard's build, but the one thing I wanted was the Gamble Skill, which is in Rank 3 so I couldn't take it yet - so that's definitely my first pick!

Not sure on the other 100 yet, maybe Thrown Weapons Training so he can use his knives at Range as well as Melee for quiet kills? Or maybe it's smarter to take another Sound Constitution, his T is an abysmal 24 so extra Wounds will probably always be needed... any thoughts?

Edit: Actually, not got Concealment yet, that is probably something Reynard would have, and hiding is usually a better option than fighting...

As to the game overall, yep enjoying it! Looking forward to more of the investigation and interaction with the locals, using things like Inquiry/Charm/Deceive... :laugh:

Edited by Lysimachus

Considering Bardas in currently in the process of regain his faculties and negotiation with the under hiver once that has been done he will presumable use his Medicae skills to start healing himself. From when I had a read of the injury stuff, even with Medicae it will take some time for him to heal out of heavily wounded status and natural recovery takes weeks. We don’t have weeks.

I know you are making up this story line from scratch to compensate for my dice, but could you give me an idea where you think it will go as right now I only see an option of Bardas struggling to still achieve his duty, shambleing along one 1 (or a handful of wound if I pass the medicae test) and failing to get anywhere much or do much.  

37 minutes ago, Trokair said:

From when I had a read of the injury stuff, even with Medicae it will take some time for him to heal out of heavily wounded status and natural recovery takes weeks. We don’t have weeks.

The trick is to fate-point-heal yourself above half hitpoints before using medicae.

Later on the hardy talent and autosanguine help, though only the scum class can (and should :p) get it at rank 3.

41 minutes ago, Trokair said:

I know you are making up this story line from scratch to compensate for my dice, but could you give me an idea where you think it will go as right now I only see an option of Bardas struggling to still achieve his duty, shambleing along one 1 (or a handful of wound if I pass the medicae test) and failing to get anywhere much or do much.  

You know?! Curses, my carefully crafted plots are rendered transparent! :tongue:

Yes, of course I can steer you a bit - this is an interactive storytelling, and you aren't being punished for bad dice, I want to make that super-transparent. The plot will generally lead to use of your abilities, and compensation, which I would rather keep a secret for now, but suffice to say it was inspired by the loss of your lasgun (it is lost) and your rather fab model. Bardas will soon find he's late to the party. It is already midnight when he's on the table, and you're actually not that badly wounded - it's more for narrative sake than anything else. With your use of the Fate Point, and your re-roll being three or four DoF less than your first, I decided you should get some benefit of that fate point (removing random (D5 = 5!) damage via GM discretion and circumstances - Chief is also something of a medic/techy himself and removed another 4 for a total of 9 Damage removed). He will be sent into the hive in due course.

This is basically what happens when you Burn a Fate Point, but I wanted the story to progress, as bad dice should inform the story, not hang you.

Unless it's Deathwatch, then it's an AT Gygax Moment. :tongue: