Heresy Roadmap Speculation

Second edition has almost been out for two months, and we're obviously still waiting on a lot of content to make the transition. All we have is the roadmap they provided on June 7th, and to match up content drops to try and figure out when things might drop.

qUChL1hXcPzCdJcB-1060x1393.thumb.jpg.3393962bdb1de5b7374c327af45cb0d5.jpg

So far:

June: word bearers exemplary battle unit.

July: legacy units, reverse-ported exemplary battle units, khabanda's rules, sons of Horus and space wolves exemplary battle units.

It's still early so there's not much information to analyze, but we know that while they can only release 1 exemplary battle pdf a month, they can also release up to 4. Other than the exemplary battles, there's still 3 main pdfs to expect; the FAQ, the daemons list, and the cults & militia list. The problem, is that they're selling rule books during August and October, which might disrupt the free rulebooks.

So with all that established, here's what I think they'll do: daemons in September, and cults in October. Daemons don't especially pair well with a payed faction, but are necessary for both khabanda's rules and the word bearers. Cults and militia though, are basically another subfaction of the liber imperium. The faq...who knows.

I'd hope for the pdfs earlier, but GW loves to stagger releases to maximise interest in product, and this makes the most sense to me.

Feel like there is no chance of an FAQ until all the Liber books and announced full list PDFs are out. Which might even suggest a January FAQ similar to other game systems. 

Will be interesting to see when they start teasing the Mechanicum book. I’d half expected today’s Heresy Thursday to be the beginning of it…but no. 

Not to derail too much, but a scheduled FAQ like they do for MESBG would be quite welcome, twice a year with relatively calculated alterations.

I guess we'll probably not see any mechanicum plastic kits at the release of their book, given that we'd've had to already have seen them. A bit of a shame, but if they have to come later so that the books are released promptly, then that's better than delaying publication to match a model release.

20 minutes ago, Astartes Consul said:

Feel like there is no chance of an FAQ until all the Liber books and announced full list PDFs are out. Which might even suggest a January FAQ similar to other game systems. 

That would be very frustrating; 40k rulebooks get their first faq on like release day, often paired with designers commentary to explain wording conventions/intentions. 

It's doubly frustrating with all the dev time that they had to avoid the need for a faq entirely.

What plastic kits do we reckon? Loose list based on base chassis:

1. Land Raider Proteus
    1. Explorator
    2. Carrier
  2. Spartan Chassis
    1. Spartan Carrier [Release 20/8/22]
    2. Cerberus
    3. Typhon
  3. Leviathan
    1. CC version [Release 30/7/22]
    2. Ranged Version [Release 20/8/22]
  4. Contemptor
    1. AoD set model
    2. Other variant with alternate weapons [Release 20/8/22]
  5. Deimos Rhino Chassis
    1. Deimos Rhino [Check]
    2. Deimos Predator
    3. Whirlwind Scorpius
    4. Damocles Command Rhino
    5. Vindicator
    6. Vindi Laser Destroyer
  6. Sicaran Chassis
    1. Sicaran [Release 20/8/22]
    2. Venator
    3. Arcus
    4. Omega
    5. Punisher
  7. Javelin
  8. Land Speeder Proteus
  9. Xiphon
  10. Arquitor Bombard (Reveresed Sicaran Chassis)
Edited by Xenith

My expectation of a fairly timely FAQ has shot up recently due to someone in the know laughing at my pessimism over the matter :

The old core game approach of an FAQ shortly after release to tidy up obvious problems and then a couple a year to broadly shift things into better alignment with the writers vision and fix meta problems is my fave. I think after a couple the "seasons" might be shifting things a bit too far, especially given the typically broader dispersal of "Heresy" armies through the period.

Edited by Noserenda
incrimination :D

1 hour ago, Xenith said:

What plastic kits do we reckon?

1. Land Raider Proteus Explorator + Carrier
  2. Leviathan
    1. CC version
    2. Ranged Version
  3. Contemptor
    1. AoD set
    2. Other variant with alternate weapons
  4. Deimos Rhino [Check]
    1. Deimos Predator
    2. Whirlwind Scorpius
    3. Damocles Command Rhino
  5. Sicaran + Variants
    1. Venator
    2. Arcus
    3. Omega
    4. Punisher
  6. Spartan + Variants
    1. Cerberus
    2. Typhon
  7. Javelin
  8. Land Speeder Proteus
  9. Vindicator
    1. Laser Destroyer
  10. Xiphon

Wouldn't the Vindicator also go under Number 4? In both Demolish and Laser variant.

1 hour ago, Noserenda said:

My expectation of a fairly timely FAQ has shot up recently due to someone in the know laughing at my pessimism over the matter :

The old core game approach of an FAQ shortly after release to tidy up obvious problems and then a couple a year to broadly shift things into better alignment with the writers vision and fix meta problems is my fave. I think after a couple the "seasons" might be shifting things a bit too far, especially given the typically broader dispersal of "Heresy" armies through the period.

So about FAQs, apparently the print copy of the rules and the Epub just have completely different rules in some parts. This is frankly embarrassing that the rules are different across editions and there's 0 communication.

Here's an example of the IC and infiltrator interaction, taken from Facebook.

FB_IMG_1659657250838.jpg

FB_IMG_1659657254329.jpg

At least they're already errata-ing rules that are ambiguous or misleading, I guess?

Maybe there's hope for a PDF sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, Xenith said:

What plastic kits do we reckon?

1. Xiphon

I would immediately buy a squadron. All FA slots. No question.

We're at the point where people are having to agree on interpretations of rules in the book that are vague or unclear, which: A, shouldn't happen and; B, need a bloody FAQ.

And thinking about it, I know GW want to flog the box set but we should have had or been show all the troops choices by now rather that just having to dig into the bits box (which newer players may not have as a extensive pile as us older hats) or just use tacticals.

1 hour ago, GarvielEisenhorn said:

Looks like it's not just a difference between print and digital, because my print copy has that second version too.

20220805_214437.jpg

I heard the special edition of the book had the differences too. Is yours the special edition or the standard hard back?

8 hours ago, Astartes Consul said:

I guess after yesterday's huge pre-order dump, we can be sure there won't be an FAQ before Liber Mechanicum comes out.

Wonder if such a big release of Space Marine kits is in part to clear the decks before some rumoured plastic Mechanicum?

Feels like they'd have revealed them already to drum up hype (or at least impulse purchases) of the Liber Mechanicum. 

Yeah a repack of Armigers is huge damp squib that certainly implies they dont have anything better ready.

That said, i am moderately excited about them potentially reboxing Anathemas in October so that they arent hilariously overpriced (£6+ each for even elite human infantry is brutal) meaning i can more easily expand my force rather than waiting on second hand lots.