Heresy Roadmap Speculation

Yeah as mentioned elsewhere it's super weird that they are essentially handing over marketing for this book to influencers on Saturday, especially as there are significant new units and changes to things, even the most placeholdery codex gets a bunch of articles.

So, I own a shop in Seattle, and we got this email from our GW rep recently. I hear rumor that GW is having trouble with oversees product right now.

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 6.43.02 PM.png

edit: words

Edited by Icosiel

Oh yeah they did a basic overview, a paragraph or so per army list? The assassin articles were slim past the mini, compare that to a 40k codex, even ignoring the SA tercio changes and all the SoS changes which have had nothing, feels like and article or two are just missing entirely, well unless we see them Friday?

Yeah. Not expecting a full preview cycle like Slaves to Darkness are currently getting, but even compared to the Mechanicum book, we have had almost no rules or content preview.

New Assassins look great, obviously. But the leaked content suggests a whole range of new SOS units we know nothing about and while the Solar Aux kits coming back in to production confirm that they are staying in the list, there hasn’t been anything about them other than the news we can pre-order from this weekend. 

12 hours ago, Icosiel said:

So, I own a shop in Seattle, and we got this email from our GW rep recently. I hear rumor that GW is having trouble with oversees product right now.

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 6.43.02 PM.png

edit: words

I think they mentioned in the community article that it was delayed in North America.

So from what previews are up it seems that the Sisters kept a lot and even gained a few new units, without any model options thus far does this mean that they'll get new kits coming? If so then resin or plastic I wonder...

Also Custodes seem strong, points increase which makes sense and they gained the axes from the 40k Wardens kit (which I like that little addition).

Solar Auxilia, man I really like their redesign. A modern take on the old IG platoons with their own version of 'rites of war'.

The custodes look like they're basically 1st Ed heresy: the army. I'm not sure on the points costs, or if they're characters still, but jeeze. Idk if making their weapons ap 2 all the time was the right call; i saw people talk about a high breaching value or something along those lines. 

I would wager probably not - the dream would be they make an appearance as the dedicated Breacher Squad kit (with a recommendation from the studio that you use the existing arms from ye old Mark III Tactical Squad if you wanted to do them as "larger Mark III"), however I suspect the Breacher side of things will wind up being a plastic upgrade kit for Mark VI instead.

The Mark III and IV moulds aren't that old at the moment. Maybe in another five to ten years.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:22 PM, The Scorpion said:

There is mention of a "Mk3b enhanced power pack" issued during the late Great Crusade in the main Rulebook.

Considering the precedent of the RTb01 Corvus-sub pattern (aka: the new box Beakies), do you think new Mk3 minis could be in the works?

IIRC - and based on a colour plate below - this is probably intended as a nod to the 'Anvilus' style of power pack we seen on the 40k CSM kits? 

24951602_Screenshot2022-11-14at12_03_35.thumb.png.959cb824fdae2272f46bf4025c6f0ad1.png

4 hours ago, Astartes Consul said:

IIRC - and based on a colour plate below - this is probably intended as a nod to the 'Anvilus' style of power pack we seen on the 40k CSM kits? 

24951602_Screenshot2022-11-14at12_03_35.thumb.png.959cb824fdae2272f46bf4025c6f0ad1.png

I think it's a reference to the differences between resin and plastic MkII-III backpacks called "Mars pattern" compared to that one called "prototype Anvilus pattern"

I hope they don't mess with Mk III.  The kit looks good next to the new Mk VI kit and isn't very old.  Mk V would be very difficult to produce in plastic because of the studs, or so I've heard (hence why studded Mk VI pads are 2 pieces).  Mk IV and VII could use a new kit to update.  Both have a role and place during the Heresy and are very popular with players.  Idk if Mk II makes sense.  It's way outdated at this point in the story and is a very niche armor wanted by some fans mostly because it's OOP.  A seperate Mk II leg kit to go with the Mk III kit would be better than producing a complete kit

Edited by Mike8404
Spelling

@Mike8404 I think MKII has huge appeal with the fan base and is quintessentially heresy in its aesthetic. Several legions were known for their heavy use of it too, even by the time of the heresy (the Scars spring to mind), so I think there's plenty of lore justification.

42 minutes ago, Pearson73 said:

@Mike8404 I think MKII has huge appeal with the fan base and is quintessentially heresy in its aesthetic. Several legions were known for their heavy use of it too, even by the time of the heresy (the Scars spring to mind), so I think there's plenty of lore justification.

For Lore reasons, its an all out war, both factions throw everything at the enemy including the kitchen sink.

Alot of Legions used mothballed MK II for Inductii for example.

We will never see a new MK7 kit since GW doesn't want regular astartes in 40k and in 30k they are an oddity at best.

And it has a very bad standing around players were I life anyway. They just look to much like 40k models. 

MK4 has a set and won't get a new one either I'd say. MK5 and MK2 are the big candidates for a new set I guess because they don't have one at the moment. 

The thing is:

Whatever kit they bring it would immediately outshine MK6 and GW knows that. So I don't hold my breath and wait for it to happen, MK2 driver at tanks or not. 

I would be happy though.

Close Combat arms set for MK6 would be more important though.

Edited by Gorgoff

I don't know about any new kits outshining the MK6 kit. Depends on how they do it. I for one was happy with the new MK6 fir my RG and won't be gunning to go for a new MK5 or 2 set. I'm hoping (even if it might be in vain) that they will combine some of the missing marks with the needed breacher and assault/despoiler kits. I'd be a bit bummed out with a CC set for the MK6 simply due to the leg poses. Some running legs would be so much nicer for any melee oriented units.

I wonder how big the chance is that with future armor marks they will make sure that the weapon upgrade sets will fit them aswell so they can be used more easily outside of the MK6 set. Even if it would be a bit problematic for mk2 armor with the arms type, it could work for any possible mk5 sets. There's always hoping :D 

Edited by Irongert

MKIII has a different torsos, legs, helmet and arms from MK II due to the added plates, so there's basically no overlap. They're better off just doing a completely new MK II kit.

I think they could do MK V, they've been getting quite crafty with sprue construction recently, and they've shown their technical prowess in designing the new 30k frames.

On a side note, I'd expect with the armies all out now (bookwise, I understand some PDFs aren't out) and the Exemplary Battles about to come to an end, we're probably close to some sort of campaign book.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion
Getting ahead of dumb

I doubt we will see another armour kit anytime soon, let alone an update, because GW has historically always been a bit worried about cannibalisation of sales, like, any new armour Mk is going to outsell a revamp significantly unless its a really stunning revamp, which right now i dont think they have the capability to do. Like, the Mk6 is beautiful but the sprue is considerably more limited than the 3's and 4's so im not sure there would be much advantage bar getting ahead on the scale creep (Mostly for the mk4 obviously). 

That said a breacher kit with different Mk3 like the resin kits did might well work, give us the backpack with arms etc, but then thats a breacher kit rather than a tactical squad and i suspect that would be just as likely an upgrade sprue for the mk6.

I personally want mk5 :D 

Oh and remember guys, the fluff is almost entirely irrelevant to model design considerations, it will always flex to fit the kits they make, the models they want to sell. Everything is in service to that rather than the reverse.