Heresy Roadmap Speculation

1 hour ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Not at the rate they're going lol.

We still got blood Angels, iron hands, salamanders, and alpha legion; that's another 4-6 months. 

Well they did say there weren't many left at the last publication, so take that at face value or not as you will.

My main point is that their temporary placeholder publications, and their army books are near the finish line, not pedantism on exact dates.

1 hour ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Well they did say there weren't many left at the last publication, so take that at face value or not as you will.

My main point is that their temporary placeholder publications, and their army books are near the finish line, not pedantism on exact dates.

Yea, for sure they're getting close to the end of their roadmap. I am curious to see what's in the pipeline for future paid rules; the implications were that the expanded units might get updated and ported to core with appropriate model release.

But, the rate of rules releases is dragging out. Its very much caught up in the gw "tease it and release it in the optimal slot" mentality. It can be hard to be excited for future unknown releases when the we're still waiting for the known ones.

When I think about it, were melee upgrades ever teased by GW? If not, I am wondering if this is a “backdoor” for bringing dedicated melee troops in mkxyz.

I do not think they’re so naïve to think people will wait with their age of darkness box troops and not look on the secondary market. 

On 11/16/2022 at 7:37 PM, SkimaskMohawk said:

Yea, for sure they're getting close to the end of their roadmap. I am curious to see what's in the pipeline for future paid rules; the implications were that the expanded units might get updated and ported to core with appropriate model release.

But, the rate of rules releases is dragging out. Its very much caught up in the gw "tease it and release it in the optimal slot" mentality. It can be hard to be excited for future unknown releases when the we're still waiting for the known ones.

But we used to have annual black books with no concrete idea when they'd arrive - just that we were lucky when they did, or anything else. Right now doesn't feel dissimilar to that situation, be it after betrayal or extermination or another book. We know things are ahead, but not quite when or indeed what.

1 minute ago, Petitioner's City said:

But we used to have annual black books with no concrete idea when they'd arrive - just that we were lucky when they did, or anything else. Right now doesn't feel dissimilar to that situation, be it after betrayal or extermination or another book. We know things are ahead, but not quite when or indeed what.

Kinda. We definitely didn't know how long it'd be for the next black book and what it'd contain, but there's a couple of important differences. The first is that they'd just release stuff when it was ready, with the rules often being sold (and distributed by other means) weeks or months in advanced via the open days; they didn't care about the GW release cycle. The second is that no one was locked out of playing their army as they waited for the black book; the rules told us to choose from a list of special rules to be the interim trait. 

Non-marine players got to endure the modern gw release cycle before being allowed to play the new edition. The rules were obviously already written and printed, but were withheld so they could generate optimal revenue for the company. Also it's pretty easy to say that I'm more cynical than I was in 2013; 2nd has been an extremely rocky road in terms of balance, and I'm low-key dreading the next custodes/solar aux dichotomy.

Plus, the Black books didnt come out of nowhere, the designers were open and happy to talk about things coming up (still within reason obviously) so between attending events or other folks doing it and reporting back we usually had a good idea of the plan for the next while even if it didnt always go to plan :D 

Nowadays we get a wall of silence and what appears to be a sadly inaccurate road map.

Mistakes always happen, things go wrong but i know one of those approaches smooths the road a lot easier than the other.

Edited by Noserenda

I guess I had hoped we'd see the next big announcement at the US Open Preview but obviously didn't hold out once we saw no HH insignia.

Don't get me wrong, there's been a steady stream of Legion releases since 2.0 dropped but they could still really do with Close Combat options and Assault Marines/Jump Packs in plastic. Breachers too but I feel they're less "essential".

Here's hoping it's not too long.

My thought is they will release in the same way Primaris did.  New unit 'types' in subsequent boxed set releases.

So the next game boxed set may be assault focussed, with assault marines, jet bikes and land speeders. It would certainly fill a lot of gaps in the plastics people want and have a focus to release around, which GW likes to do.  This may explain the lack of rumours (and that all these items are still on the FW store, seems removal from there is the signal for imminent plastic release?)

16 minutes ago, dickyelsdon said:

So the next game boxed set may be assault focussed, with assault marines, jet bikes and land speeders.

Oooohhhhh.... I would like that very much. I would prefer the models just get released, for everyone else's sake, but I would be seriously tempted to start a White Scars army with a box of bikes and speeders.

Seeing what they do with all the specialty games I could definitely see them doing that. Rules expansion (ie. Zone Mortalis) bit of scenery, some board tiles and some new kits.

They kept the roadmap vague and still hit, what, half the goals? Less? Honestly id rather they add something to Heresy Thursday saying how things are going and whats coming up rather than just repeat that flawed scheme. It might help the column be less meh when you see its another helmets/pads week :D 

Honestly i wouldnt expect themed boxed sets either, people have been wishlisting them since Calth but i dont think thats how FW sees those boxes, certain Tony C didnt a few years back and id expect that to still be true.

1 hour ago, Calgar 2.0 said:

The lack of PDF's for the other lists has kinda killed my hype for the game. An official statement on where things stand regarding would have been useful a month ago.

A lot of my boys have all fallen off the bus during this unacceptable limbo peroid. Lets be honest, all the rules were written and they should have released either a 'get you by' index, or a 'conversion' sheet for the old rules. Not supporting most of the armies (as lets me honest, Astartes are a single army now with different flavours of +1 to hit) out of the gate really dampened it for my group which is disproportionatly non-marine. 

On 11/21/2022 at 10:38 PM, Calgar 2.0 said:

The lack of PDF's for the other lists has kinda killed my hype for the game. An official statement on where things stand regarding would have been useful a month ago.

Yeah, even if its just a 'we have no idea when deamons/militia are getting rules' it would at least give people a sense of where they stand. Currently 2ed while good really failed the non marine players, and while certain circles can scream 'its a marine game' all they want, having it truly become just marines would make the game much much poorer in my view. 

8 hours ago, Boytoy said:

i'd love to hear anything about imperial militia/cults. getting the new guard box to build as allies for my word bearers, and crossing my fingers that the new artillery will be legal in some form in the new list

On 11/21/2022 at 9:38 PM, Calgar 2.0 said:

The lack of PDF's for the other lists has kinda killed my hype for the game. 

On 11/21/2022 at 10:55 PM, TheTrans said:

A lot of my boys have all fallen off the bus during this unacceptable limbo peroid. 

Play them with Solar Auxilia rules until Liber Lost and the Damned or whatever it will be called droppes. It has rules for a lot of differernt styles of armies now which were Militia provenances in 1ed. 

Which is a good give away  what the Militia will be. 

That really depends on what militia army you have though, even with the new row for them the militia list is much, much more varied than SA. 

Hilariously, the Horus Heresy computer CCG now has a fairly detailed roadmap for the next 5 months and the next big expansion late in 2023 :D 

9 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

That really depends on what militia army you have though, even with the new row for them the militia list is much, much more varied than SA. 

Hilariously, the Horus Heresy computer CCG now has a fairly detailed roadmap for the next 5 months and the next big expansion late in 2023 :D 

The computer games arent done by GW.

1 hour ago, Noserenda said:

Sure I just wanted to give you guys an idea how to play. Although not perfect you at least start playing until hopefully Militia get rules. 

I'm still a bit at a loss as to what happened with releasing khabandas rules in such a standalone way. 

You'd think it'd be a prelude to the rest of the daemons rules, but it's been over four months and he's still the only thing out. And while lords of war aren't faction locked, you still need to houserule what level of allegiance daemons have on the allies matrix before you can slap him on the table. 

It seems likely that the datasheet is the one from the army list, so I'm not sure why it's being held back. It's not like cults and militia vs solar aux, where you'd get a free faction cannibalizing the paid sales.