Heresy Roadmap Speculation

As SkimaskMohawk says, the Exemplary units have all been existing stuff and the legends docs are all pretty much by definition eith conversions or OOP.

New plastics seem to definitely have had some disruption, but they dont date those until they are sorted and ready to go for most of the world so they cant slip on a roadmap. That said North American shipping has kept a few things from American frater unfortunately.

15 hours ago, Mike8404 said:

I think before they move onto plastic kits for Mechanicus and what not, they should release kits to finish out the Marines troop choices.  Since there's no melee kit for the new Mk VI, I think it's important to get that out there

See i always found it better when everyone gets a little something, that way all players can glue/paint/play get excited etc. My biggest complaint with HH2 is that 30% of our local players ( me included) have just stood and watched, with all the excitement and energy of the edition gone by the time i got the Mech book, while the cestodes/militia/army still just, sitting there...looking on. 

Games like this need community and the community has to be able to participate or it withers.

Yeah id definitely favour a plastic Mech kit (Probably Thallax) over marine infantry for now, dont get me wrong, thats more important than filling out the heavy support section but right now almost every army has some plastic troops but them. 

Well, SA too but i think that range is only going to get smaller, not bigger :( 

1 hour ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

No. No exemplary battle unit has been tied to a new model release; their whole point is to boost sales of stuff that's not really moving.

Not that I want to get into an argument about this, since I'm simply speculating on reasons things may have been delayed or postponed.

You say "No." like you have some sort of authority or certainty, but when has their ever been such a comprehensive release schedule as recent weeks. Why can't things have been a little different?

35 minutes ago, Stitch5000 said:

Not that I want to get into an argument about this, since I'm simply speculating on reasons things may have been delayed or postponed.

You say "No." like you have some sort of authority or certainty, but when has their ever been such a comprehensive release schedule as recent weeks. Why can't things have been a little different?

Im not sure what you are arguing here? The main noticeable slip has been on PDFs which come (as far as we know) pretty directly from the writers, who have absolutely nothing to do with model releases or international logistics, even the rules for those releases would have been finished months or years ago. 

Yes they might be held by other concerns such as marketing or other upcoming releases but that seems unlikely given the content as people have mentioned. 

But right now there was a PDF promised in August, and a handful of things it could have been, exemplary battles, mechanicum legends or the upcoming Daemon or Cult/Militia rules, the Daemon rules especially seem like they were due at some recent point between KaBandha and the daemons in White dwarf. 

15 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Im not sure what you are arguing here? The main noticeable slip has been on PDFs which come (as far as we know) pretty directly from the writers, who have absolutely nothing to do with model releases or international logistics, even the rules for those releases would have been finished months or years ago. 

Yes they might be held by other concerns such as marketing or other upcoming releases but that seems unlikely given the content as people have mentioned. 

But right now there was a PDF promised in August, and a handful of things it could have been, exemplary battles, mechanicum legends or the upcoming Daemon or Cult/Militia rules, the Daemon rules especially seem like they were due at some recent point between KaBandha and the daemons in White dwarf. 

I'm positing that the PDFs that were lined up for release may well have been planned for release in syncronisation with something physical (a product) that was due to be released, but has then been delayed...

Apparently such an eventuality beyond the realms of possibility, though... 

I don't see that out of the realm of possibility. Say if the unit is a heavy weapon team and they used MK VI with the heavy weapon sprue, they would delay it until those weapon upgrades are available, so they don't have a bunch of images of stuff you can't buy.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I think another pass is the sensible option, i just dont see what new release would delay rules for OOP models? They already did a heavy weapon focused exemplary unit before the relevant heavy weapons too so that feels like a stretch, especially unless all the remaining ones are heavy weapons?  

So far, there hasn't been any direct tie-ins between exemplary battle stuff and model releases.

The last one came out on a thursday, before the melee leviathan, chaos chosen and oblits/venom crawler preorder. The leviathan is 30k, and the SoH turn into chaos space marines eventually, but none of them can be used to make the exemplary battle units, or thematically match them.

The word bearer one came out on a monday, right after the chaos space marine codex preorder and the mk6/praetor/standalone rules. More Chaos and generic 30k releases that can't build the unit, guess that's the trend right?

Well, there was a huge 30k pre-order on august 13 and more chaos space marines, daemons, and echoes of eternity on august 27. Obviously no PDF was released along them, despite the blood angels exemplary unit and daemons being both hyped and directly tied to those releases. So no, they really don't tie the exemplary battle releases to 30k units needed to make them. Chieftains came out without plastic breachers; procurators came out without plastic despoilers/assault marines. They also missed their timing for generic "belongs to the same game" releases. 

They did finally get Liber Mechanicum up for the US for release this Saturday.

If any release were to be the cause of a delay, waiting for that to clear would actually be the most sensible.

Another pass would certainly be nice though, that'd be the most preferable.

5 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

The initial announcement had them for the summer. 

No it didnt 

Warhammer: The Horus Heresy – Age of Darkness is officially now available to pre-order, and this absolutely prodigious boxed set will be winging its way to you from the 18th of June. But that’s not where all this Heresy business ends – there’s already a legendary muster of new books, plastics and accessories, with plenty more coming to support the new edition this year and next.

And to prove it, we’ve prepared a comprehensive road map of the new rules on the way.

06 06 HHRoadmap FB
(Dates correct at time of publication, and assuming no XX Legion interference)

…and that’s just what’s coming in the next couple of seasons! That’s four faction books – one each for the Loyalist Legions, the Traitor Legions, the Mechanicum,* and Imperial forces sworn to neither the Primarchs nor the Omnissiah.

These will all be supported by Legacies of the Age of Darkness, free downloadable PDFs which contain rules for old Forge World models that aren’t at present planned to return to the current range, so you can use your existing models in the new edition. And on top of that, two additional army lists will be available to download for other factions – the Daemons of the Ruinstorm, and the Imperialis Militia and Warp Cults.

HHRoadmap Jun06 ExBattles

Meanwhile, the Warhammer Community website will continue to publish monthly Exemplary Battles of the Age of Darkness. These free downloads contain scenarios, special rules, and legendary units for games of Warhammer: The Horus Heresy, each built around a specific conflict from the Imperium’s darkest days.

You can also look forward to support in White Dwarf – the June issue of the monthly Warhammer magazine includes updated Zone Mortalis rules for fighting cramped conflicts in twisting tunnels and belligerent boarding actions for the new edition. 

Plus, the Warhammer Design Studio is cooking up even more new material for the new edition, which we’ll be able to tell you about in due course. That includes loads of new miniatures – starting with iconic Legiones Astartes units in plastic, and exciting new Legion-specific characters and upgrades coming in resin. Sign up for our newsletter to keep up to date with everything that’s going on in the new system.

* Including Knight Households and Titan Legios – they do love their giant robots…

3 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

When did you take those screenshots?

Here's a web capture from the 7th June on wayback machine, so I think pretty much from moment of publication. The text is exactly the same as above:

These will all be supported by Legacies of the Age of Darkness, free downloadable PDFs which contain rules for old Forge World models that aren’t at present planned to return to the current range, so you can use your existing models in the new edition. And on top of that, two additional army lists will be available to download for other factions – the Daemons of the Ruinstorm, and the Imperialis Militia and Warp Cults.

I don't know if you can get anything earlier than this (the page is also captured on the 9th June). I just think people made an erroneous link between the pdf graph and these two, but I was both an avid sharer of this news, but don't remember a date confirmation - I would have said that too to my friends.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

I checked wayback. The initial announcement had the pdfs releasing over the summer. Not in the fall. 

But it doesn't say those pdfs (in fact the article mentions "next couple of seasons" which could mean spring next year even). Honestly, I'm quoting the wayback above from the day the article released. I think you made an assumption about which pdfs, and are now repeating something which is (innocent) misinformation. I've given you the link direct to (as well as a quote of) the oldest capture of the text in the article, just let it go and accept you maybe are misremembering it? Or perhaps read something elsewhere which maybe wasn't based on reality?

It very distinctly specified the Expanded units and army lists would be rolling out in the coming weeks, not months and months in the future (which it has now been). I've checked the wayback machine, I think the edited it the day of, as they are known to do. 

I only remember it ever saying 'Downloadable PDFs' on the chart. I recall it not specifying what actually constituted that. As far as expanded units, at that point they hadn't released the Space Marine ones, which released weeks after that article was penned.

Note the exemplary battle and expanded units are dated July 1, whereas that article was written on (released on for the annoyingly pedantic) the 7th of June.

As for the Daemon, etc. army lists, it never said when, as at the time in I think the State of the Union thread there was discussion speculating they would drop in between liber books. Of course we wouldn't have been speculating if they had told us that information. At the time being relative as the forum was down then and it was all a bit crazy with the edition launch then. It may've been in another thread, like one in N&R.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

4 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

I only remember it ever saying 'Downloadable PDFs' on the chart. I recall it not specifying what actually constituted that. As far as expanded units, at that point they hadn't released the Space Marine ones, which released weeks after that article was penned.

Note the exemplary battle and expanded units are dated July 1, whereas that article was written on (released on for the annoyingly pedantic) the 7th of June.

As for the Daemon, etc. army lists, it never said when, as at the time in I think the State of the Union thread there was discussion speculating they would drop in between liber books. Of course we wouldn't have been speculating if they had told us that information. At the time being relative as the forum was down then and it was all a bit crazy with the edition launch then. It may've been in another thread, like one in N&R.

Ty