Warhammer Plus Content Season 2

Taliesin

Didnt know where else to post this but the output the last few months has been well below what they have promised.

Its been pretty much nothing for 4 weeks now after the last Hammer and Bolter, and before that they have 1 episode in 3/4 weeks as well. 

I hope its not grinding to a total halt because this is really so far below par and below even what they said they would do ( which was not that much, 1 episode every 2 weeks).

I honestly wonder how they think they can sustain or grow their subscription base if their output is truly at a trickle.

No one was expecting this little output in even a worst case scenario. Every Sunday you look at the announcements again on Warcom and very rarely is there anything for their WH+ of late. 

Thats 2 episodes in 8 weeks. With possibly nothing more the rest of December.

It seems that from all the shows advertised at the start, only a small amount are coming in 2023 anyway. No word on Altar of Wrath, no word on the Iron Warrior animation. Whats going on with these 2 shows? What about the promised Astartes 2? Is there more coming from the Exodite since it was superb but only 3 short episodes? Whats Pariah Nexus about?

At the very least give out a roadmap of what we can expect for each quarter next year, that is not only service to the customer but also manages expectations.

Edited by Taliesin

9 minutes ago, Taliesin said:

I honestly wonder how they think they can sustain or grow their subscription base if their output is truly at a trickle.

No one was expecting this little output in even a worst case scenario. Every Sunday you look at the announcements again on Warcom and very rarely lately is there anything for their WH+. 

Thats 2 episodes in 8 weeks. With possibly nothing more the rest of December.

It seems that from all the shows advertised at the start, only a small amount are coming in 2023 either. No word on Altar of Wraith, no word on the Iron Warrior animation.

At the very least give out a roadmap of what we can expect for each quarter next year, that is not only service to the customer but also manages expectations.

From Valrak's video today, it appears that Alter of Wrath is cancelled*. Most likely due to company policy (in line with many other companies) to stop any business ventures/deals with Russian entities. 

* - the animators instagram page has references to it being cancelled as well.

Personal thought: Alter of Wrath may come back onto the schedule depending on the outcome of the conflict and if/when sanctions are lifted... whenever that may be. 

Edited by Domhnall

Funnily enough I've been thinking this of late too. Apparently I haven't missed anything, which is disappointing. 

I do intend to write to GW and politely inform them of my disappointment. I understand there's other content on there, but my primary interest are the animations / stories. The rest I haven't watched since day 1.

Warhammer+ could be summed up like this - ...

"I bought a limited Ed model (that I'm getting later on in the year) and I can binge watch this "free" stuff for a week straight and then never look at it again for 10 months :laugh:

Q - how often does Louise do master class painting episodes ? (I know she's an awesome Painter) but are the vid's any good?...

M.  

18 hours ago, Taliesin said:

It's not just the animations. It's the vault too. They've been adding a ton of old campaign books mainly FW, but they're actually removing content from those books.

Why? Who cares if people see old rules? Maybe they might want to try these rules.

Fan content, including Astartes, is still available on YouTube. After GW made offers that the creators could not refuse, other people said "to hell with that" and re-uploaded the videos.

Even without messing up on fan content though, success was always going to be a tall order.

On the streaming side, companies big and small are finding out the obvious, which is that people are already saturated in "content" and are not interested in returning to the Cable TV model they rejected a decade ago. Rather than maintaining a subscription just because, people treat streaming services like a cheaper version of Redbox or Pay Per View.

On the "content" side, Warhammer+ offers very little that could be considered unique. Painting tutorials, battle reports, lore breakdowns, old supplements, back issues of White Dwarf, rules, all can be found elsewhere.

So we are left with GW website vouchers and a new model once per year. Nice for the people who want it, but not exactly a moneymaker for Games Workshop.

Warhammer TV should have serialised battle reports for campaigns/crusade for each of its major games. 

I genuinely have zero idea how much it costs to make an hour long battle report, but a once a week battle report for AoS, 40k, 30k, LOTR (so once a month for each system) hardly feels like overkill. If it's tied in to a big picture campaign then it would make the viewer (me, in this case) more likely to tune in next time. e.g, I have no interest in the pseudo squats so haven't watched their battle reports, but their introduction was Game 6 in an ongoing campaign then I would have done.

Crusade (or equiv) is massively underrepresented in 40k as a whole and WHTV seems like the perfect place for it. 

To further Valkyrion's idea - I think the WHTV team should join up with the White Dwarf team, who are already doing serialised campaigns. Imagine if we could watch the games done by the Dwarfers as they happened? The magazine could continue to present the overall monthly results and the games and fun little interviews could be on WHTV.

Discussion separated out from download thread. 

I emailed GW yesterday. There isn't a specific WHTV email, just a general one for all apps. I got a generic response that they'd pass it on. Which is all I expected tbh... 

On semi related note: got a FB notification 10min ago that the GW WHTV fb page is now just called Warhammer, as opposed to Warhammer TV .... :blink:

@jarms48: They remove old rules because that's GWs worst fear. That players might see those rules and decide to play older editions. Editions that were better in many ways than current (in my opinion). Editions that that GW no longer support or sell rules for. This would lead players to the secondhand market (GWs second biggest fear).

Although I haven't dedicated enough time to it, for me the Vault is a nice resource. I don't play anything besides Kill Team and BSF, with Warcry coming soon. It's not worth it for myself to buy the campaign books, when all I want is the lore inside

I do hope 2023 kicks up for WHTV. I've generally enjoyed the animations, but GW really needs up the production. As Janky as Hammer and Bolter is, it's a fun show

Edited by sitnam

I have it and right now view it as a way to get an exclusive mini that is usually pretty good (bought the second one this year because I liked both of them so much) and got a voucher that let me get some hive scum to play around with- which means I'm paying $20-ish for the year for all the "content" that they put out. Not a bad deal, as I generally just watch the animations when they finish up their episodic release and I can binge them all at one. Don't watch anything else, but I'm considering giving my sub details to my brother who is getting back into the game so he can watch some of the Loremaster stuff. 

Overall, I wish there was more animations available- I really enjoyed Interrogator/Exodite and Angels of Death was decent, but I get that it is hard to make full shows, or transition from a single-person fan project to a multi-person creative endeavor. The animations really could boost Warhammer's visibility and engagement towards mainstream audiences, and I think that GW launched WHTV too soon- they should have had a solid five or six shows finished and have multiple battle reports/narrative campaigns each week as far as content. Even with my complaints/misgivings, for about $1.50 a month after the mini/voucher I'm not disappointed with the sub.

I really do wonder if GW isn't just slowly cutting bait with WH+ on the whole. The service didn't seem to do nearly as well as they wanted on launch, and since then it's just sort of drifted without much direction. It was a big investment, and will remain so if they want to produce high-quality animation like the Astartes sequel, so they may be calculating that it's not worth the cost going forward.

Hope I can get my big angry Khorne man first, tho, that thing's a beautiful rendition of some classic art.

Well I dont believe their aim was just to kill the really excellent fan animations on youtube and then not produce adequately themselves. That seems too cynical a view.

The unfortunate thing is that we are now deprived of whatever these fan animations could have produced in the last year, while at the same time also not getting much output from Warhammer Plus. Quite possibly there are reasons for their output being so far below expectations and promises, but they have decided not to communicate on that ( as we know GW).

I just hope they have some good stuff on their slate for the first 2 quarters of 2023 for WH plus animations.

How ( or if) the new Amazon deal will eventually impact WH plus remains to be seen really. Possibly it might be folded into that but that will be a long way off. There is also a chance WH Plus just keeps existing next to whatever Amazon will be producing, because the animations could simply be a different piece of the Warhammer pie that does not at all compete with what Amazon is offering ( which is very likely to be live action shows).

9 hours ago, SvenIronhand said:

I think it should be self-evident by now that its chief purpose was to kill the number of high-quality fan animations that were there before the crackdown.

I’ve seen a few “Warhammer+ only existed to do [X] orthogonal business reason,” and they just seem unlikely to hold up. Games Workshop did not expend the kind of money and time that W.+ took just to get some YouTube videos de-listed. They thought it was something their fans would shell out cash for, and that they’d make a profit on. Simple, easiest, best solution available.