Warhammer Plus Content Season 2

Taliesin

Watched it... And for the most part enjoyed it.

Animation is a little janky in places... Bolters don't feel "right" and when they fire there is no movement that I seen from the magazines.

But overall nice to see the Iron Warriors do Iron Warrior things.

I quite liked it, not perfect by any means but it conveyed the ideas well enough.

I did notice what appeared to be episode breaks every 7ish minutes though, IE longer pauses between scenes, so i dunno if it was originally intended to be multiple episodes? 

I do think releasing on a Wednesday now that its Disney release day is a mistake though, i raced to watch the Mandalorian and Bad batch and that probably would have been my TV for the day if one of by group hadnt badgered me on messenger to watch it :D 

Yeah, Warhammer+ competing against Star Wars release day (especially Baby Yoda Day) seems a bit ill-thought out. The Venn diagram between Star Wars and Warhammer fans must be not far off a single circle.

Having said that, I've watched Iron Within already (and actually really enjoyed it) and haven't seen Mando yet, because She-Who-ThirstsMust-Be-Obeyed isn't home from work yet.

Big fan of the mix of armour marks in the Iron Warriors - plenty of flashes of MkII and MkII.

Animation was nice - indeed, it was extremely good, like, nearly to the quality of the 9th Ed release trailer - but it suffered from the "everyone is kinda stupid and one-dimensional" problem that most of the W+ shows end up having. There's a decent idea at the core of the thing, but it's scripted at a sub-YA level.

The Mandrakes were very cool but the animation on the Drukhari was a bit "stiff" and I think anyone watching who was unfamiliar with Warhammer would have had a hard time knowing they are "evil elves in spaaaace".

Some nice 3D models and facial animation but it did feel a bit janky.

Overall though, for a small company dipping their toes into animation, it was a pretty solid effort, but the animation content is still very sparse compared to quality.

I'm still happy with my sub though.

I also quite liked "Iron Within".

Visually, it looked great.

I liked that the Iron Warriors arrived with very toned down Chaos iconography- from a distance, one could really have mistaken them for some feral loyalists.

This now actually makes we want to do an understated Chaos unit myself....

The story....

well, pretty standard 40k storytelling, similar to the stories we get in a codex. But I also did not expect anything deep or philosophical.

So yes, it was entertaining, it looked great, it had the right grim dark atmosphere- I would be happy with more like this.

3 hours ago, Sugarlessllama said:

While I really like Warhammer+, I would love it if they increased the sub to something like $15 USD and included a White Dwarf as well. 

If you don't mind waiting a few months, then you already do. Issues up to October 2022 are in the Vault. I'm considering stopping buying physical White Dwarf mags and just waiting for them in the Vault.

On 3/5/2023 at 2:53 AM, Sugarlessllama said:

While I really like Warhammer+, I would love it if they increased the sub to something like $15 USD and included a White Dwarf as well. 

I could get behind this, but as a second tier, rather than replacing the current price point.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been subscribing since the start, watched the initial run of Hammer & Bolter but then stopped. However, gotten back into in the last fortnight and have really enjoyed dipping in and out of things- there’s loads to see, and it’s all good quality.

A little unsure why they still haven’t added the latest cinematic trailer though. 

I'll chip in my opinion, since I have recently purchased a year long subscription.

The reviews are overwhelmingly negative and almost discouraged me from doing so, but I had just the amount of extra cash to burn on my hobby and figured that a 12 months service would be better than... well, at this point, a single box o plastic infantry (looking at you, Khorne berserkers).

The limited edition miniature (which I was interested enough in) helped a lot in this perspective.

To be honest, I think GW really botched the marketing and PR for the platform, which was basically presented as a streaming service -which it isn't, and can't pretend to be for longer than a month.

In and on itself, the service provides some decent WH-themed entertainment. 

None of it is perfect or essential but most of it is nice to have, provided that you are a fan and can spare those 55 euros once a year.

Some of the animations, in their simplicity, are very good (I would definitely reccomend The Interrogator, AoD: Kill Command and some episodes of Hammer and Bolter). They are not state of the art animation, but I always appreciated crafty low budget efforts with a solid story, and the quality of the storytelling managed to surprise me more than once.

Loremasters doesn't really offer anything more than some youtubers, but it's still fun, while the library of painting masterclasses is genuinely good, well explained and approachable even as a standard painter.

The army builder should be improved, let's see what they do with 10th edition.

Now for me, the real gem would be the Vault, if only they decided to have a proper platform instead of...whatever that is. Not the most comfortable reading experience, but I do like to have a legal library of GW/FW's best publications at my fingertips.

It's ok for what it is - a cheap and convenient way to enjoy a little more Warhammer content if you so desire. It does have the potential to be very good, but they need to put the work in. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by Allart01

1 hour ago, aa.logan said:

A little unsure why they still haven’t added the latest cinematic trailer though. 

All updates come out on a Wednesday so it'll probably be added this coming week as the trailer dropped on Thursday.

I'm a little disappointed at the lack of subscriber prize draws lately. They were quite frequent at the start but there haven't been any in ages now.

I think i can count the number of times ive logged into any of the services on one hand this year, if it wasnt for a combination of my own laziness and the cool sorceror coming at some point id definitely cancel.

Though right now im more likely to drop my White dwarf sub.

56 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Still no peep of a third year mini teaser?

Nothing. Though I guess having a 7 month wait between teaser and reaveal like they did in 2022 might have been deemed excessive. Or they want to wait until 10th releases in case it's relevant to it.