Warhammer Plus Content Season 2

Taliesin

On 12/14/2022 at 1:30 AM, Mumeishi said:

Warhammer+ could be summed up like this - ...

"I bought a limited Ed model (that I'm getting later on in the year) and I can binge watch this "free" stuff for a week straight and then never look at it again for 10 months :laugh:

Q - how often does Louise do master class painting episodes ? (I know she's an awesome Painter) but are the vid's any good?...

M.  

There is a Masterclass almost once a week. And both Louise and Aidens videos are very, very good. They are really good at describing what they are doing and why, the video is top quality. And you get to see the painting palette too for paint consistently reference. I have learned a lot.

5 hours ago, Subtleknife said:

Could warhammer+ been a vehicle to show interest in 40k animations in order to sell 40k tv/film to a bigger company. Now amazon looks likely to take this on I would imagine amazon won't want a games workshop specific animations etc. Could be completely wrong.

I think the Amazon deal is happening in spite of Warhammer+, rather than because of it. The service is just clearly not doing the numbers GW wanted, by most any indicator, and fan response has been fairly muted - the removal of fan animations has honestly generated much more buzz than any of the official products they were replacing. If anything, the anemic response to GW's own streaming teevee offering may have pushed them to look for a partnership, rather than going at it alone.

Agree that we likely won't see any more Warhammer TV past the current inked deals, tho.

6 hours ago, Lexington said:

I think the Amazon deal is happening in spite of Warhammer+, rather than because of it. The service is just clearly not doing the numbers GW wanted, by most any indicator, and fan response has been fairly muted - the removal of fan animations has honestly generated much more buzz than any of the official products they were replacing. If anything, the anemic response to GW's own streaming teevee offering may have pushed them to look for a partnership, rather than going at it alone.

Agree that we likely won't see any more Warhammer TV past the current inked deals, tho.

GW was never going to be able to make live action and high end animation on its own, it is just too costly. 

I am assuming you have numbers to back up the statement that Warhammer+ is doing poorly?

1 hour ago, Redcomet said:

GW was never going to be able to make live action and high end animation on its own, it is just too costly. 

I am assuming you have numbers to back up the statement that Warhammer+ is doing poorly?

The guy that did Astartes did in a ":cuss:ing cave" (to quote Iron man for funzies). So yes, GW can do good films if they wanted. I think their fan base is slowly going down the ages and therefore they adjust the films to suit children, basically whole GW is getting more Disneyfied. Watching space marines chopping orks or nids should be like watching Micky mouse cooking spaghetti.

Edited by Imren

1 hour ago, Redcomet said:

No, we do not have the numbers (obviously). One of the things we do have, however, is comparison.

Here is one of my favorites:

Maybe Warhammer+ had a massive second half of 2022 and its fortunes have reversed since July?

1 hour ago, Imren said:

I think their fan base is slowly going down the ages and therefore they adjust the films to suit children, basically whole GW is getting more Disneyfied. Watching space marines chopping orks or nids should be like watching Micky mouse cooking spaghetti.

If you watch the Hammer and Bolter episodes or other stuff like The Interrogator, you will find that they're pretty grimdark stories with plenty of gory scenes. GW is only Disneyfied with their WarCom ads and cartoons.

It can be argued that GW has always used a dual strategy of trying to appeal to both kids and older teenagers/adults in their marketing.

On 12/14/2022 at 12:30 AM, Mumeishi said:

Warhammer+ could be summed up like this - ...

"I bought a limited Ed model (that I'm getting later on in the year) "

Though my model came right after the 2 week cooling off period. I looked at it like buying the model and £10 voucher for £35 and then getting 12 months WHTV bundled for £15. 

I think GW is probably reconsidering it - people are subbing for the model(s), which would sell anyway. They could just cut the production costs of the shows and sell the model directly. I wouldn't like that though. More subscriber benefits would be a plus, like priority access to Limited Ed novels etc. 

If Warhammer+ doesn’t have a notable viewership than it really isn’t anything Amazon would take notice off, not that it would anyway. 

I do agree that Warhammer+ seems to be on its last legs already. Which is fine. I just hope they port the battle report and Masterclass shows to their normal Youtube. Let Amazon handle the animation aspects too. 

Nothing for WH plus this week either. Business as usual then. 2 episodes now in 9 weeks.

I watched the AoD Origins one yesterday, that was quite awful and for me very uninteresting, probably worst one yet.

Edited by Taliesin

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 6:56 AM, Wulf Vengis said:

@jarms48: They remove old rules because that's GWs worst fear. That players might see those rules and decide to play older editions. Editions that were better in many ways than current (in my opinion). Editions that that GW no longer support or sell rules for. This would lead players to the secondhand market (GWs second biggest fear).

I mean, I’d pay for a 40k Legacy. Basically a ruleset combining the best parts of 3rd to 5th edition. 

Either make it compatible with the old codexes. Or do an index type book and give every unit a datasheet and point cost, including the new factions.

So they released a trailer yesterday which states that at a minimum, we will get the following 4 shows next year:

• Blacktalon
  • Iron within
  • Pariah Nexus
  • Various episodes of Hammer and Bolter

Pretty interesting and considering that they have had such a long dry spell to end this year, I am allowing myself to be positively surprised at this announcement.

3 new shows is good news indeed and we will see what H&B will bring in terms of number of episodes.

There is also a supposedly spectacular animation trailer coming tomorrow, though unknown what it will announce.

They also confirmed on their facebook that Astartes 2 is still coming ( though if that is not announced tomorrow, it will unfortunately mean it wont release in 2023 either ...)

Edited by Taliesin

I mean the trailer really states nothing given all these projects have had bits shown before, even if they dont show Astartes tomorrow it could still come in 2022, id expect this kind of trailer to only cover the first 3-6 months usually, though ofc with all the animation delays nothing is certain.

1 hour ago, Noserenda said:

I mean the trailer really states nothing given all these projects have had bits shown before, even if they dont show Astartes tomorrow it could still come in 2022, id expect this kind of trailer to only cover the first 3-6 months usually, though ofc with all the animation delays nothing is certain.

Well I definitely dont expect to get more than what was shown in the trailer for 2023, next year.

It would be a step up if they would actually release those shows in 2023 instead of not living up to the promise.

• 2 weeks later...

This weeks 40k Battle Report is a thematic recreation of a scene from the Deff Squadron Graphic Novel, Deff Squadron are chasing down a messanger squig with the defender rolling 4xD6 of Power Level of reinforements each turn.

Quite a fun battle report.

Edited by Grotsmasha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

I cant see why people would stay subscribed:laugh:

Its a joke at this point:yes:

To be fair, with the mini and the voucher, it is only costing me around $2 per month. That's really just the subscription price for the app, so I'm ok with it.

Yeah its just for the animation then there is no point to subscribe for more than 1 month and then just watch what they have.

Thats why its so important to have new releases, it maintains interest, it makes sure people want to stay subbed for new stuff and it builds your content library.

10 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

I'm wondering if the possible Amazon deal has made some sort of scheduling jumble for WHTV. 

Obviously we dont know but that deal seems a long way off and this is especially strange because they announced so much in December for this year.

Instead, they have gone almost 2 months already with nothing, quite bizarre. And remember that all of December also featured only 1 Angels of Death flashback episode.