Warhammer Plus Content Season 2

Taliesin

2 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

Unless the Yr3 model is a MUST HAVE, I'll not be renewing my subscription. I last signed in for the supercut of the Inquisitor animation and not since...

Ditto. The models are what have kept me interested up to now.

Haven't logged into the app for at least 6 months now. When I have previously it's been almost solely for the painting Masterclass vids (which are excellent to be fair). The battle reports feel largely below the standard of those on the better YT channels and aren't as frequent. The vault stuff is kinda fun, but not in an easy to use format and removing any old rules removes a chunk of my interest. Even if I'm never going to play a game of 6th Edition or anything like that, I still enjoy seeing what units used to be able to do/not do. A good run of animations could bring me back, but it seems like there's one episode for one series every now and again. It's disappointing to say the least.

Edited by Doobles88

On 2/21/2023 at 12:38 PM, Grotsmasha said:

Unless the Yr3 model is a MUST HAVE, I'll not be renewing my subscription. I last signed in for the supercut of the Inquisitor animation and not since...

Been saying this for a while. It better be crazy good, else my warhammer+ experiment ends. Go in every now and then for some painting tutorials, but forget it even exists otherwise

10 hours ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Been saying this for a while. It better be crazy good, else my warhammer+ experiment ends. Go in every now and then for some painting tutorials, but forget it even exists otherwise

I was enjoying the animations when so many people were nitpicking the animation or lack thereof but considering I can't actually remember the last time one was released is generally a bad sign, right? 

On 2/21/2023 at 6:49 AM, Taliesin said:

So....3 weeks later and still 0 new episodes. I dont think anyone was expecting this right? We're approaching March and we've had basically nothing.

When you say nothing do you mean no new animations or no content at all? I have never been a subscriber, there is already too much TV out there in the world for me to watch. 

When they first announced the service I was stunned that they thought they could get high quality animations released regularly without a 3-5 year head start on production or Netflix levels of capital, but I kind of figured they must know what they are doing, otherwise it would be a humiliating failure... Well, now I'm thinking it seems unlikely we will get to year 3. 

Although WHAT IF, they are simply queuing up a full slate of animations to capitalize on the launch of 10th? They give previous 12 month subscribers a free year to make up for the dearth, gain a bunch of new subscribers as a new edition brings a lot of new / returning players and they could hand wave the first two years away as some kind of soft launch. 

Rather amusingly, they've just announced that Iron Within is up this Wednesday coming.

That said, the initial marketing around Warhammer+ wasn't run particularly well; greater emphasis should have been placed on the hobby tutorials and battle reports, with the animations being highlighted as "every now and then." 

That said, animation is a bit of a fraught industry right now; there's massive demand it, which isn't particularly great for an industry where staff are routinely paid far less than they are worth and are expected to crunch to completion. It does make me wonder if part of the reason the Geedub-commissioned projects are lagging so far behind is down to that?

UFpUsle1Mi5ttqa4.jpg

12 minutes ago, Joe said:

That said, the initial marketing around Warhammer+ wasn't run particularly well; greater emphasis should have been placed on the hobby tutorials and battle reports, with the animations being highlighted as "every now and then." 

Yup, I've mentioned this before in other threads... GW's marketing sucked. If WH+ had been advertised as "Subscribe for a year, get an exclusive mini, app access, regular battle reports and painting tutorials, access to a back catalogue of books and some exclusive animations" the criticism from the community that they're facing now would have been far less severe.

They spent far too much time and effort talking about the animations, and created a monster as a result!

10 hours ago, Warden-Paints said:

When you say nothing do you mean no new animations or no content at all? I have never been a subscriber, there is already too much TV out there in the world for me to watch. 

When they first announced the service I was stunned that they thought they could get high quality animations released regularly without a 3-5 year head start on production or Netflix levels of capital, but I kind of figured they must know what they are doing, otherwise it would be a humiliating failure... Well, now I'm thinking it seems unlikely we will get to year 3. 

Although WHAT IF, they are simply queuing up a full slate of animations to capitalize on the launch of 10th? They give previous 12 month subscribers a free year to make up for the dearth, gain a bunch of new subscribers as a new edition brings a lot of new / returning players and they could hand wave the first two years away as some kind of soft launch. 

I specifically mean no animation content. There has been barely been anything since November, its a 3 month stretch in which.... they have released in total, 2 Angels of Death prequel shorts.

As to why there is so little output, the reasons can only be guessed at because GW and Warcom continue to act as though their nose bleeds and that this is business as usual, which its not. But with 10 months left to go, it is still possible for them to release the 3 release the new shows they announced and add the Hammer and Bolter stuff.

What we also have no idea of , is how much we are actually getting of these new shows, and that matters a lot. Will they be 3 episodes like Exodite, or longer running like AoD or Interrogator.

Edited by Taliesin

2 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

The Vault is an underrated feature of Warhammer+, and is great for those of us who love the Lore and couldn't/can't afford to buy every book ever.

I’ve often said that GW should concentrate Vault content from Rogue Trader going forward, rather than present back to the oldest.  That would make it a sought after gold mine for those who came to the hobby later and possibly attracted more of the old guard into taking a sub.  Nostalgia is king after all.

And stop gutting the original rule content!

The biggest thing holding the Vault back right now is the search function being fairly hit and miss, and the lack of proper categories / filtering on the resource itself. That aside it's a genuine treasure trove for lore and art.

I do agree that older publications should have the rules removed; admittedly, recent stuff has largely retained them.

I love the concept of the Vault, it was the main attraction for subbing, but it has a few issues as you point out.  I also find the reading interface software rather clunky as well as the dodgy search facilities you allude to.

For all that I’m glad it exists at all :biggrin:

Edited by Felix Antipodes

3 hours ago, Joe said:

I do agree that older publications should have the rules removed; admittedly, recent stuff has largely retained them.

This I disagree with. Mark the old rules as no longer usable etc so as not to confuse newer players. But I enjoy reading through some of the old rules for the game and units. I've got books from RT days that I'll never play a game with, but it still makes for good reading. Maybe that's just me? But not being able to see rules for things I remember loving (Feral Orks and Kroot armies for example) is a real disappointment.

I meant to write "shouldn't have the rules removed" lol. That said, this ties back to the lack of proper categories / filtering anyway; legacy and current rules need to be distinct categories, alongside which edition a publication was published in.

3 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

I love the concept of the Vault, it was the main attraction for subbing, but it has a few issues as you point out.  I also find the reading interface software rather clunky as well as the dodgy search facilities you allude to.

Pretty much this. The vault was the main reason for me to sub but I tried it a couple of times and the browser based reading format coupled with the lack of historical content (I have a WD subscription so have no reason to read the latest issues which they put on first for some reason) means that I haven't looked at it in over a year.

Yeah i like the vault in theory but in practice its a pig to use, especially when nearly everything in it is available with no cut content in much more readable formats out there, like, GW are competing with the pirates whether they like it or not, especially with old OOP stuff! 

Agree that going backwards is a bit odd too, like, even if you do it every so often and make a thing of it youll draw folks, i may own nearly every book id want to read but its stashed at my folks to escape the mould so its not easy to get at :D 

22 hours ago, RWJP said:

I'm currently in the mood to forgive the Vault many of it's sins (ridiculous loading times, janky search, no categories or filters) simply because they've finally added the option to view pages side by side... Such a massive improvement.

I was waiting for this! Yeaaah! :biggrin:

Iron Within is live now, and it's, as expected, 27 minutes long. Overall it's nice to see Dark Eldar as Villains, with an at least capable Archon killing a good handful of marines, otherwise nothing too surprising.

Animation wise it's very dark, lot's of shaky cam, and motion blur. The unhelmeted characters of course have very stiff facial animations and plasticy looking soft tissues.

Other than that it's a neat bit of animation that, if it wasn't on WH+, would've probably been received really well. It probably would've also been out much earlier since they had to swap it from a great crusade story to a M41 story.