Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

I would like to ask you, is there a site/way of knowing X, Y or Z novel belong to pre dark emperium, after x book etc, like a guide? 

I know a horus heresy exist. I know that the vast majority can be read (on their own except of course series) but is there a reading order? from what I am seeing here that are books from a author connected to another and so on... (of course I know most novels by the same author maintain a logic - I hope) but I didn't knew solo novels from one author followed another (one example would be all blood angels novels since the first publish by james swallow until now it's kind hard to follow - bear in mind that I've not read any of those)

With Warboss out next Saturday, has Mike Brooks ever given an official series name for his Orks stories? Some are centered on Ufthak, others are not, but still feature him (like Warboss apparently does). There's also the Snaggi Littletoof short. I think with how much he's written and all the recurring elements and characters, there's got to be some title for the overall body of work at this point.

2 hours ago, OpossumStrong said:

I don't think tau is very popular, so probably it's a standard "standard" edition.

They didn't bother to update the coming soon page, again, i understand that books aren't their main income, but cmon GW, atleast pretend you care:confused:

There is no reason for not showing what they are going to publish. Either remove the banner and keep us in the dark altogether (since we retrive more information from bookdepository or fnac anyway). BTW, bookdepository already puts Longshot to be published in August, another anthology For Glory and Honour (fist of imperium, apocalpyse and honour and iron) plus lords of blood (Dante, Devastation of Baal, DArkness in the Blood & Astorath: Angel of MErcy). And finally The Great Devourer: Leviathan with Valedor, & four novellas. Hmm So blood angels & tyranids in may. Some hinted here and other forums upon new tyranids fluff so maybe this is it?

5 hours ago, OpossumStrong said:

I've tried some tau lore from codex and books, it was kinda "dry", not sure is it me or the faction or the writers, but i could connect to most of the factions, but tau is beyond me(for now). 

I read Shadowsun back when the LE came out, having not really clicked with the T’au as a faction before then (or to be honest, read anything much about them). 

Since finishing the book, my desk has been covered with Fire Warriors and Pathfinders- I can’t stop building them. 

Still not 100% convinced by the novel, but it did manage to ignite an interest in the faction.

I've scrolled through a reddit thread covering the book and wasn't impressed.

What's your conclusion, @aa.logan?

Worth the try or does it fall under the same "Kelly does T'au again" trope?

55 minutes ago, Kelborn said:

Wasn't my thread, was it? I tried to sell the book as hard as I could. Really enjoyed it.

Shadowsun is great and it is an actual crime there aren't more books on her. If this one sold well, I'd hope that changes.

13 hours ago, Urauloth said:

As a faction they're pretty popular, I just don't think anyone who likes Tau wants to read what Kelly writes about them. If someone else did a Tau book I'd snap it up immediately.

I was thinking who could deliver a good tau book, i did enjoy Crowley's necron books, maybe he could do the same with tau.

And for some reason i had Thorpe in my mind, just for a second, and i laughed imagining that 

12 minutes ago, OpossumStrong said:

I was thinking who could deliver a good tau book, i did enjoy Crowley's necron books, maybe he could do the same with tau.

And for some reason i had Thorpe in my mind, just for a second, and i laughed imagining that 

I would give J C Stearns a shot, his Voice of Experience short story is promising. And his Horror novel The Oubliette wasn't bad either

1 hour ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

Was there a discussion thread about Flesh and Steel?  I've just finished reading it and want to see what others thought about it.  I can't find one using search but I'm sure there used to be one?

The general crime one, maybe?

https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/359934-warhammer-crime/

Edited by aa.logan

Crime is getting another anthology, around September/October: 9781804073278

Word Bearers omnibus in November (I'm curious if that's an indication of the date for the upcoming box set? But the set should be coming out soon-ish

Forge of Mars and also Blackstone Fortress are also getting omnibus in September/October

14 hours ago, wecanhaveallthree said:

Wasn't my thread, was it? I tried to sell the book as hard as I could. Really enjoyed it.

Shadowsun is great and it is an actual crime there aren't more books on her. If this one sold well, I'd hope that changes.

Sorry pal, I can't remember the author. 

Just the negative lore contradicting stuff somewhat stocked with me. 

Covered Kelly contradicting established lore again and so forth.

15 hours ago, OpossumStrong said:

My fave for this would be Tchaikovsky, if and when he writes for BL again.

7 hours ago, Kelborn said:

Sorry pal, I can't remember the author. 

Just the negative lore contradicting stuff somewhat stocked with me. 

Covered Kelly contradicting established lore again and so forth.

I will legitimately never understand how Abnett gets away with doing this constantly and Kelly is excoriated for it.

Shadowsun gives really good insight into how the Tau's composite nature (an alliance of many different peoples, with different interests) both works and doesn't work. I also think the direction we're going with That Thing Wot Lives In The Spacehole is great for the faction, and I'd wonder aloud if people would be so down on this movement if it was using Farsight as a vehicle instead. Either way, Shadowsun is one of the best characters in the setting and I really want to see more of her. 

On 3/20/2023 at 6:35 AM, Kelborn said:

What's your conclusion, @aa.logan?

Worth the try or does it fall under the same "Kelly does T'au again" trope?

Worth a try, for sure. I’m a sucker for ‘first contact’ stories and this has a good bit of that. I’ve not (yet) read any of the other Kelly T’au books, so my opinion here may be crucially uninformed. If it’s bad, at least it’s not too long…