Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

Hate to nit-pick the WarCom piece, but since we are on the subject, the first official published mention of the Horus Heresy was in WD 96 (December 1987) page 53, in the discussion of the history of the "Raven Wing" Dark Angels. Can provide the exact quote if anyone's interested. It was in the first "Chapter Approved" article. Chapter Approved - The  Book of the Astronomican (WH40K's first-ever supplement with the HH blurb on page 13) was published later.

What a difference a week or two makes.  Strolled onto the GW site later than usual, picked up the new AoS book and departed without crashing websites, bot attacks or sorry that’s gone already messages.  They did try to trick me though, as the book wasn’t in the new releases tab (although all other pre-orders were) but hidden in the BL tab.

4 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

What a difference a week or two makes.  Strolled onto the GW site later than usual, picked up the new AoS book and departed without crashing websites, bot attacks or sorry that’s gone already messages.  They did try to trick me though, as the book wasn’t in the new releases tab (although all other pre-orders were) but hidden in the BL tab.

Now that 10th edition is out of the way hopefully us BL fans will have a clear run until the end of the year, with no website crashes or queues to frustrate us.  The only big book that might cause problems is volume two of TEATD.  

Yeah, I noticed the Forge of Mars omnibus they're putting out again later this year was going for 24€ on Amazon, rather than the usual 19€. Was hoping this wouldn't be a trend, but...

Crazy to think that I'll be paying less for my copy of Encyclopaedia Eorzea III, a big chunky large format hardback, faux-leather 300 page art/lore bible with all bells and whistles for FFXIV, than two omnibuses from BL.

Just realized that they messed up the Lords of Blood Omnibus description too. They list Astorath: Angel of Mercy as a short story. I confused this with the old microshort from way back when (which was actually by Smillie) while reading the description.

But no, it's actually all four Haley novels as I'd predicted based on the translators of the German edition being listed as involved on Amazon ages ago. Even if BL/GW say it's three novels and two short stories.

Honourbound Special Edition

Not exactly the place for it, I know, but surely I'm not the only one who expected to see more Raine books. I thought Honourbound was very good, and even if it had been a completely cynical attempt to catch the Gaunt/Cain lightning in a bottle again (not saying that it was, mind you) I would have thought a follow-up would be in the works. It hit on the same notes as those two distinguished (and presumably quite well-sold) series and was entirely competent, so... uh... what happened? Even the Ynnari books - which I love, but understand weren't everyone's jam - got two before being binned. 

To be fair I’ve spent way too much time trying to understand why BL pursues some series to a bitter end while others die an early death.  Let’s just hope the fact Honourbound is getting a SE means there might be another Raine book in the works.

Edited by Felix Antipodes
Spelling errors

Long ways out still, but Valrak did a video based on a French Amazon listing for a new book. I'll link the video below, but it's written by Haley, Amazon has it due out in October, and it's basis is that Cawl is trying to assemble a group of minds to try and do stuff with the blackstone (i.e. stabilize the rift) but Fabius Bile gets involved. Sounds interesting enough. First link is Valraks video, second link is the Amazon listing. Sorry if the formatting is weird, it's my first time trying to link videos here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AveMaffNYKY

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/1804073725?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_BQET2ZN4KV2255TWJD4Q

Edited by darkhorse0607
added link to the amazon listing

Upcoming release announcements:

from FNAC - short story week starting11th July apparently:

• [AOS] The Crown Of Karak-Khazhar -Gotrek - Darius Hinks
  • [AOS] The Eyeless Mask- Blacktalon - Liane Merciel
  • Memories of Broken Glass - Longshot tie-in - Rob Young
  • Starstruck - Lucille von Shard - Denny Flowers
  • Arcady Prime - Minka Lesk - Justin D. Hill

from Valrak / Amazon.fr, October or earlier:

• Genesire (translation?) - Belisarius Cawl vs Fabius Bile - Guy Haley novel

I think that's a showdown - or at least a meeting - that people have wanted for awhile. Now, is it going to be a clash of technological and genetic craft, Alpha Primus versus whatever horrid abominations Bile has in his cellar? How many Primarch clones will shuffle out to feed fanon? Will Trazyn get involved to make it a truly legendary three-way?! I'm excited for this one.

6 hours ago, wecanhaveallthree said:

Not exactly the place for it, I know, but surely I'm not the only one who expected to see more Raine books. I thought Honourbound was very good, and even if it had been a completely cynical attempt to catch the Gaunt/Cain lightning in a bottle again (not saying that it was, mind you) I would have thought a follow-up would be in the works. It hit on the same notes as those two distinguished (and presumably quite well-sold) series and was entirely competent, so... uh... what happened? Even the Ynnari books - which I love, but understand weren't everyone's jam - got two before being binned. 

I think it comes down to Rachel Harrison being busy/not writing much right now. She’s a full time BL employee last I checked (art director) and it seems like Raine is a work of passion on her part. BL makes a lot of poor decisions, but I can’t imagine they’d release an Honourbound SE while refusing to publish a sequel. 

2 hours ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Long ways out still, but Valrak did a video based on a French Amazon listing for a new book. I'll link the video below, but it's written by Haley, Amazon has it due out in October, and it's basis is that Cawl is trying to assemble a group of minds to try and do stuff with the blackstone (i.e. stabilize the rift) but Fabius Bile gets involved. Sounds interesting enough. First link is Valraks video, second link is the Amazon listing. Sorry if the formatting is weird, it's my first time trying to link videos here

So "The Great Work" is finally getting a sequel? Colour me intrigued!

In the hope of taming the Great Rift that divides the galaxy in two, Belisarius Cawl invites representatives from all over the Imperium to the artificial world of Pontus Avernes. Assured of convincing them of his genius, he must, however, enlist their help in unlocking the secrets of the Pylon Network - formidable structures built by an ancient race which, he is convinced, can counter the effects of warp.
But among the participants is an unwelcome guest: Fabius Bile himself. As for the Primogenitor, he doesn't care about the validation of his genius. The pursuit of his goals will lead to an epic confrontation between the galaxy's greatest scientific minds. Only one will emerge victorious.

Via DeepL.

I really pray this links directly into where Josh left off with Bile in Manflayer.

We got new covers too, btw:

815AV4nxzoL.jpg

81xHsobwnDL.jpg

2 hours ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Oh that sounds interesting!  I really enjoyed The Great Work - it's one of my favourite standalone 40k novels.  And anything by Guy Haley is worth checking out and usually has lore implications.

On 7/1/2023 at 4:22 AM, theSpirea said:

It was a matter of time but it's happening, GW/BL increased the prices of hardbacks/paperbacks. I wanted to check how each region converts to the base UK price but I'm too scared to see how much GW is ripping them off.

Capture.JPG

I've always wondered why the world doesnt want Canada to read...

9 hours ago, cheywood said:

I think it comes down to Rachel Harrison being busy/not writing much right now. She’s a full time BL employee last I checked (art director) and it seems like Raine is a work of passion on her part. BL makes a lot of poor decisions, but I can’t imagine they’d release an Honourbound SE while refusing to publish a sequel. 

I assume that's why, yeah. I really hope she writes another Raine novel though, Honourbound is my favourite Guard book and the shorts that go with it are all high quality as well.

Looking forward to more Cawl from Haley because I really liked The Great Work. Hope he does a good job with Fabius.

Much as I like to rag on him, more Cawl from Haley, and his output decreasing, are both wins in my book. He does have talent, but I do think his worst stuff always dropped around an obvious time crunch.

I'm worried about Fabius, though. The premise is great, of course those 2 need to meet. But Reynolds' Fabius is such a high standard I'm a smidge worried about how he'll come across here.