Upcoming BL Stuff - 2023

Tolmeus

Was there really only one Belisarius Cawl novel (Great Work)? I could have sworn a sequel came out/was announced, if not a trilogy.

Decided it was time to finally get Great Work and the Bile omnibus out of my BL pile of shame, but I went looking for a Cawl sequel which apparently may not actually exist.

17 minutes ago, Grenzer said:

Was there really only one Belisarius Cawl novel (Great Work)? I could have sworn a sequel came out/was announced, if not a trilogy.

Decided it was time to finally get Great Work and the Bile omnibus out of my BL pile of shame, but I went looking for a Cawl sequel which apparently may not actually exist.

It does indeed not have a sequel.

But both the "Great Work" and Bile Omnibus are phenomenal reads. Bile, at least for me, ranks as one of the best BL series.

6 hours ago, Grenzer said:

Funnily enough, having owned the whole trilogy for years I’ve only today made a start on the first FB book so that I am up to speed before the new release.

I’ve always heard good things about the FB trilogy so I’m looking forward to it!

6 hours ago, Grenzer said:

There has definitely been no sequel prior to this. There was a short story PREquel which leads right into The Great Work, but that story doesn't actually feature Cawl, just his goons like Alpha Primus and Qvo-87.

On 7/4/2023 at 1:28 AM, Grenzer said:

You can count half of Wolfsbane as a Cawl novel.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/05/genefather-fabius-bile-is-back-to-test-his-wits-against-the-biggest-brains-in-the-galaxy/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=black-library&utm_content=genefather&fbclid=IwAR1YqA0wAN0qWtV-lPChace6vg1s6MbfSJbFoelAPhk05_YA2u4JDDle6TQ

This is looking damn interesting, if it lives up to half my hopes it will still b fantastic. New planet/location, top notch characters, a gathering of Imperial brain power just leaves so MUCH room to have fun and explore weirdness of the Imperium.  And then you have Fabius, i know the cover makes it seem battley but i hope it starts off with Bile honestly just trying to have a conversation.   They can do so very very much in this book, not least of which is build up some secondary Ad Mech characters who may not agree with Cawl and his ways. 

Its also one of the few times where i like the non LE cover more then the LE one...tho the extra short story.

Was about to post this, but got beaten to it.

I'm still really glad this one's a Haley novel. He's proven before that he can take the various depictions of previous characters and unite them, staying true to the character and prior depictions while clearing up some of the inconsistencies in the process. I'm sure he'll do Fabius justice, even if Josh's dark humor is on a whole level of its own. This is easily fixed by way of PoV-balancing, though, I think.

I wonder who else is going to join the cast, though. Would not at all be shocked if we got at least a visit by Trazyn, as a Necron advisor, either. But Fabius & Cawl are certainly a dream coupling that folks have been asking for for years now. I want Fabius showing off his work on the New Men to Cawl, and Cawl actually taking him seriously as a colleague, even if they're enemies at the core. Fabius, to me, has more in common with Cawl than might be obvious from his allegiance, it's his philosophy that truly sets him apart.

Also funny:

and delve into Bile’s past as an apothecary for the Emperor’s Children in Chirurgeon by Chris Wraight

Picture right below. It's a short story by Nick Kyme. Come on, WarCom. The truth was right in front of you.

Edited by DarkChaplain

32 minutes ago, DarkChaplain said:

Also funny:

Picture right below. It's a short story by Nick Kyme. Come on, WarCom. The truth was right in front of you.

Reading is hard. Good thing they're talking about books then

15 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/05/genefather-fabius-bile-is-back-to-test-his-wits-against-the-biggest-brains-in-the-galaxy/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=black-library&utm_content=genefather&fbclid=IwAR1YqA0wAN0qWtV-lPChace6vg1s6MbfSJbFoelAPhk05_YA2u4JDDle6TQ

This is looking damn interesting, if it lives up to half my hopes it will still b fantastic. New planet/location, top notch characters, a gathering of Imperial brain power just leaves so MUCH room to have fun and explore weirdness of the Imperium.  And then you have Fabius, i know the cover makes it seem battley but i hope it starts off with Bile honestly just trying to have a conversation.   They can do so very very much in this book, not least of which is build up some secondary Ad Mech characters who may not agree with Cawl and his ways. 

Its also one of the few times where i like the non LE cover more then the LE one...tho the extra short story.

I don’t hold out much hope for the anti-Cawl contingent to be a large part of this.  Cawl (as a character) is much more likely to surround himself with like minds and fellow heretics, and I’d expect his invite list for this shindig to reflect this.  Mores the pity…

2 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

I don’t hold out much hope for the anti-Cawl contingent to be a large part of this.  Cawl (as a character) is much more likely to surround himself with like minds and fellow heretics, and I’d expect his invite list for this shindig to reflect this.  Mores the pity…

Ok hear me out, he and Fabius actually meet and they get along, they start exchanging notes and find some halfway ground for a informational exchange when....BOOM AD MECH ORTHODOXY faction kicks down the doors, BOOM its a buddy cop survival book now, heretec and heretic vs the strong bionic arm of the law. 

9 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

Apologies Nagashnee, but this was only the "official" version. In truth,

"Ok hear me out, he and Fabius actually meet and, being the most extreme megalomaniacs who are 1000% into themselves as the universe's sharpest brains (in a universe bristling with extreme megalomaniacs 1000% into themselves who think themselves the sharpest brains) they barely tolerate each other and only because each thinks the  opposite number may somehow prove useful to "MY PROJECT". With poisoned and poisonous smiles and catty remarks all around, they get along, they start exchanging notes and find some halfway ground for a informational exchange when....BOOM AD MECH ORTHODOXY faction kicks down the doors, only to find them enjoying some amasec over a regicide board and rehashing the "old times". Disgusted, the Adept in charge of the Kill-Cohort and his team depart in haste and following their report Mars mindwipes anyone who knew of the mission, in case the senior-citizen senility virus infects the entire datasphere."

Bad boys, bad boys what are you going to do? What are you going to do when the thesis approval committee comes for you?

Cawl in tears clutching Biles dead body ‘you bastards! This clone was 1 day until scheduled retirement!’.

Bile and Cawl having drinks, Bile remarks that he hasn’t met a Imperial Magos so amendable since early M34 when he had a run in with Magos Rigs who he remembers fondly till this day. Cawl blushes, internally uploads the Rigs voice module he made right before he murdered Rigs and stole his brain ‘Funny story old boi!’.

Cawl and Bile hit it off, invent things that would change the setting as we know it, and burn it all down when Bile finds out Cawl uses the MGD (Martian Gothic Dictionary) rather then the TGD (Terran Gothic Dictionary), which as ANY self-respecting academic knows is truly something worth killing over.

The possibilities are truly endless.   This book biggest issue may be the communities ideas/dreams/expectations being too high to meet. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

On 7/5/2023 at 2:15 PM, theSpirea said:

Super excited for this one and will try my luck with the Special Editions. Hardcover art is so damn ugly... way too colorful for my taste. Something they have been pushing a lot lately

I dont really like either one but I think the hardcover normal edition is objectively superior. The portraits on the limited edition look very undetailed while the design on the cover is kind of generic looking to me. Again good god whoever approved that design with those portraits in the middle...it absolutely ruins it for me as it otherwise could have been good. The only reason I might go for the limited edition is because of the short story and I like the string. 

People have made comments about Haley not releasing many books (I think he had 1 for Warhammer this year) and its worth noting that GW does have a release schedule so they often might have stories fully written but are on the backshelf for a release next year id like to imagine that its likely they have all their book releases printed off and sent to various warehouses at least 6 months in advance which means that I think most stories are finished and fully edited usually 12-14 months at minumum before we get to read them and in general I think the major plot beats and planned stories are set up 5 years in advance.

What Id really like to know is if we are going to get an ADB novel like BL 3 in 2023

A funny note is that im kind of retarded and thought special edition books were shipped to the authors and signed when the reality is that they just get sent a box of pages to sign which are then likely sent to china.

Edited by Krelious

I only know that because I saw brandon sanderson doing it & gav thorpe I Think with Jain Zar?
Oh well, this week I got honourbound  (will look nicely with Armageddon - they seem to form a pattern or at least they are the same black with red/golden stuff) and got cypher hardback (I have the LE but I am a masochist collectionist