5 minutes ago, AGRAMAR said:

True. Dante was the overall commander on that conflict

Sample size is admittedly low but the alternative is to throw away the only time the two have their strategic acumen compared directly against each other. 

Again, just opinions here but I maintain that 1500 years of Chaptermaster experience is a heck of a lot of Strategy knowledge for one space marine to have. That should be better reflected in his rules, in my opinion.

37 minutes ago, Spagunk said:

Sample size is admittedly low but the alternative is to throw away the only time the two have their strategic acumen compared directly against each other. 

Again, just opinions here but I maintain that 1500 years of Chaptermaster experience is a heck of a lot of Strategy knowledge for one space marine to have. That should be better reflected in his rules, in my opinion.

Time as a chapter master does not necessarily equate to time as a battlefield leader.

the overwhelming majority of his time in those 1500 would likely have been spent on bureaucracy and diplomacy.

iirc he was also made chapter master very early in his career as a captain meaning he likely spent a lot less time on the battlefield before his elevation than many other chapter masters.

1 minute ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

I'm happy his axe is still only damage 2 since it doesn't have -1 to hit (and it's a one handed weapon).

Axes aren’t -1 to hit at all? And considering the other primaris chapter masters do 3 damage and either have higher strength or better ap and additional rules, really doesn’t seem too unreasonable to have hoped for damage 3.

that said, he is fine as he is, he certainly doesn’t suck, the pistol is cool, death mask gives him a gimmick and he stands as an all rounder chapter master with melee, (short) ranged, speed, command abilities. 

1 minute ago, Blindhamster said:

Axes aren’t -1 to hit at all? And considering the other primaris chapter masters do 3 damage and either have higher strength or better ap and additional rules, really doesn’t seem too unreasonable to have hoped for damage 3.

that said, he is fine as he is, he certainly doesn’t suck, the pistol is cool, death mask gives him a gimmick and he stands as an all rounder chapter master with melee, (short) ranged, speed, command abilities. 

Typhus is a 10,000+ year old chapter master equivalent and his damage 3 weapon was smacked with -1 to hit this edition. Not going to get sympathy from me haha.

1 hour ago, Spagunk said:

Didn't Calgar give Dante full planetary command of the 2nd war for Armageddon? I feel like that implies he believes Dante to be a better strategist.

Not necessarily. There are several factors that could have played into it.

I’ll list a few I can think of:

1) Dante would have still relied on strategic council from Calgar

2) Overall command doesn’t mean best strategist but best leadership capability.

3) He is far more inspiring, and can rally people in ways the best strategist might not be able to.

For example, Horus wasn’t made Warmaster because he was the best strategist, but because he could get the most done from everyone and combine their skills while providing inspiration and charisma.

19 minutes ago, Arkangilos said:

Not necessarily. There are several factors that could have played into it.

I’ll list a few I can think of:

1) Dante would have still relied on strategic council from Calgar

2) Overall command doesn’t mean best strategist but best leadership capability.

3) He is far more inspiring, and can rally people in ways the best strategist might not be able to.

For example, Horus wasn’t made Warmaster because he was the best strategist, but because he could get the most done from everyone and combine their skills while providing inspiration and charisma.

Not sure I agree but whatever, let's move on.

Still think he should have more command utility. Maybe something like HH Raldoran where he can choose which chapter master ability he wants to use.

34 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Typhus is a 10,000+ year old chapter master equivalent and his damage 3 weapon was smacked with -1 to hit this edition. Not going to get sympathy from me haha.

10,000* years

*wibbly wobbly timey wimey means that that period is likely to be inaccurate

but yeah I get that, I’ve not looked at typhus, does his scythe not get some fancy rules? It feels like it should get something fancy

57 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

10,000* years

*wibbly wobbly timey wimey means that that period is likely to be inaccurate

but yeah I get that, I’ve not looked at typhus, does his scythe not get some fancy rules? It feels like it should get something fancy

It's just master crafted for 1 more damage compared to the death shroud termies.

I'm curious now with today's article on characters joining units again how that will change everyone going into 10th. Hopefully primaris get some jump pack units this edition for Dante to join.

2 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

It's just master crafted for 1 more damage compared to the death shroud termies.

I'm curious now with today's article on characters joining units again how that will change everyone going into 10th. Hopefully primaris get some jump pack units this edition for Dante to join.

probably primaris SG and the melee jump troops

9 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

Azrael is arguably better than both then, so at least you can use both.

also, they clearly wanted to have the lion and guilliman be different, guilliman is the leader, lion is the warrior based on their rules.

regardless, in both Dante and the lions (and azraels) case, they’ll all be different in a couple months anyway

The lion also historically has always been terrible at buffing his army; in both 1st and 2nd of 30k he was a pure beatstick that offers less than angron in terms of utility.

They might have completely changed his armour and weapons, but they managed to get that part right. Your boy doesn't do anything but hit people.

9 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

I feel like the axe mortalis probably should have been damage 3 tbh, but I do like the perdition pistol rules

I just love how the Epic Axe of Murdering Everything belonging to the Epic Lord Regent of Imperium Nihilus literally equals one of the dozen+ Black Swords every BT Crusade's Emperor's Champion has.

Bubba, you so basic.

12 hours ago, torcathmk2 said:

Is it known what causes Dante to cross the rubicon in universe? 

It has not been specified as far as I know. But he does get severely beaten by Angron at the end of the final Arks of Omen book to the point that if Johnson hadn't saved him, he would have been a smear on the landscape. Assuming he had not already crossed the Rubicon before the book, I think that will probably be the reason. To be fair, getting smacked down by Angron is a suitably heroic way to retire FB Dante and give us the Primaris version.

10 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

It has not been specified as far as I know. But he does get severely beaten by Angron at the end of the final Arks of Omen book to the point that if Johnson hadn't saved him, he would have been a smear on the landscape. Assuming he had not already crossed the Rubicon before the book, I think that will probably be the reason. To be fair, getting smacked down by Angron is a suitably heroic way to retire FB Dante and give us the Primaris version.

I mean surviving a fight with Angron is heroic regardless :).