12 hours ago, Bryan Blaire said:

Not really sure why people are trying to establish that one version of Dante is better than the other objectively and therefore liking the model would be linked to that - liking the model is entirely subjective, and sculpt quality does not definitively have an impact on that for everyone.

I like most of the model, but not all parts of it.  It’s not any more or less Dante than the original to me, but I do believe the original yell mouth was better, this one doesn’t look quite that much like it.

You don't want this mouth shape at this resolution. It almost always looks like a certain kind of fetish gag (as the Dawn of War character artists who worked on Jain Zar's 3d model will attest).

On 3/17/2023 at 12:00 AM, Wispy said:

You don't want this mouth shape at this resolution. It almost always looks like a certain kind of fetish gag (as the Dawn of War character artists who worked on Jain Zar's 3d model will attest).

I mean, what people get up to or think about for tiny little action dollies on their own time is no business of mine… if that is the critique from any person, it sounds more like a personal hang-up.  I know what I stated.

I personally don’t think Jain Zar’s GW model at this scale looks to be in poor taste of anything, nor do I agree than a well-sculpted death scream for the Sanguinius mask would look poor either.  The semi-open sneer that the current sculpt has doesn’t do it any favors or look any better - it sort of looks like he’s choking back some bad chili.  It certainly didn’t improve the mask over the original model.

Edited by Bryan Blaire
Adjusted second line after direct discussion with the poster - original responses on both sides could have been worded better

42 minutes ago, Bryan Blaire said:

I mean, what people get up to or think about for tiny little action dollies on their own time is no business of mine… sounds more like you don’t want it because of a personal hang-up.  I know what I stated.

I personally don’t think Jain Zar’s GW model at this scale looks to be in poor taste of anything, nor do I agree than a well-sculpted death scream for the Sanguinius mask would look poor either.  The semi-open sneer that the current sculpt has doesn’t do it any favors or look any better - it sort of looks like he’s choking back some bad chili.  It certainly didn’t improve the mask over the original model.

or we accept the mediocrity of the face mask and allow the barehead so the silver (what's beyond silver?) fox may shine

Edited by spessmarine

I made a very quick mockup to illustrate why I don't like this mini from an artistic perspective. The compositional lines are telling a number of stoires, the line of movement is in more than one direction, while his eye line is in another. If we compare it to the wonderful Saint Celestine mini we can really see what is wrong with it. Also, the right leg is in a very awkward position (coming from someone who trained contemporary dance and some ballet)

dantederp.png

1 hour ago, Nephaston said:

I think this is because the model is clearly not ascending or descending rapily, but using the grav chutes for a measured descent to shoot. So it's fast enough to make the parchment and loincloth flap and billow, but not fast enough to follow right behind in a line.

It looks like he's slowed to almost a stop for a very soft landing imo, like the majority of the thrust has gone.

5 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

People are allowed to have differing opinions and both be correct. For those that like, fine. Those that don't, also fine. Not everyone has to agree and people don't have to be offended just for difference of opinion.

Imo he looks ok but out of him, Snikrot, farsight, etc, farsight is for me the best update.

Overall Mephiston is superb as it resembles the MG art so well. Otherwise I don't think the primaris updates generally evoke the  same level of wow as the originals but that may be nostalgia talking.

Definitely nostalgia talking. 

2 hours ago, gideon stargreave said:

I made a very quick mockup to illustrate why I don't like this mini from an artistic perspective. The compositional lines are telling a number of stoires, the line of movement is in more than one direction, while his eye line is in another. If we compare it to the wonderful Saint Celestine mini we can really see what is wrong with it. Also, the right leg is in a very awkward position (coming from someone who trained contemporary dance and some ballet)

dantederp.png

I actually don't mind the faux pas though. He's posed almost unnaturally as of an angel. Breaking rules for the flow of the model but somehow... looking good?

I dunno, for me it works. Not saying I'm right. Just that my subjective opinion likes it.

Glad I don't collect BA though, as I can see myself breaking the foot that tenuously attaches the model to the rock/base. Thank goodness it's plastic.

I mean, a metal model just couldn't stand I guess.

A few thoughts I have is that firstly I am glad that we didn’t get the ‘Triumph of Saint Katherine’ treatment with Dante and Sanguinary guard all on the same base. Secondly it’s a pity Tycho is officially dead, he’d look great given his original model and how they’ve handled Dante.

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

Found it interesting the scepticism some have had over the nature of the leak due to it being unlikely that the new stuff would be in the same warehouse as the live stock and thought I'd give a little background info as I work in the warehousing industry.  One of the core principals of warehousing is moving every thing as little as possible.  In an ideal world an item should only ever be moved twice, once from factory to warehouse and second from warehouse to customer/retailer.  Now this very rarely happens but for company like GW which controls manufacturing and distribution they have a better chance of it.

The likely order of events (this is based on experience not GW itself I've never worked with them) is they get the card stock in and this is stored in small warehouse on the factory site or nearby as card stock is more efficient to store then sprues.  They then make the sprues which will be married to the cardstock in the packing facility.  Now from this point on it doesn't matter if the item is out or not it is simply stock, there is no reason to waste sending it to one place to be held before moving it to a 'live' warehouse or even moving it within a warehouse.  Better to put it in it's final location and simply mark it as a no-ship/no-pick location.  We know GW has two warehouses due to their ongoing logistics problems serving different streams (direct to consumer and retail).  So a percentage will be sent to each after being packed.

Now we get to the warehouse itself and how on earth the item was shipped out.  We know this was the automated warehouse but it could have easily happened in the manual one as well.  As with any system it will only output the correct thing if the right thing is input.  In the automated warehouse the humans still have a role to play in telling the system what is what.  Every item must be correctly scanned and input into the computer so that it knows what is what and where.  Now all automated picking machines live by the all mighty barcode (or QR code or whatever scannable data format you are using but they are all essentially barcodes) and I don't mean the ones on the item.  Items are packed into a variety of storage systems (can be a simple shelf location, fancy hoppers, etc)  but the key thing is the picker picks from the location and not the item.  Now systems can have error checking, the most common being a simple weight check.  So anyone hoping to get a 10th Ed box by ordering a pot of paint will be disappointed!

From what I understand from previous statements GW deliberately chooses staff in the warehouse who couldn't care less about  Warhammer.  A sensible policy to minimise on leaks but it will mean that they are less likely to spot a mis-filing error.  To us it's obvious this is a new Dante but to the employee they don't know if it's 'new' new or simply a new boxing of an existing figure unless they were there when they were unpacked.  Now as we haven't heard reports of many Dantes being shipped out it's likely the majority of them were correctly stacked (manually or robotically) at a current do not pick location, as the box from the warehouse would have specified a sale date or had some kind of internal code for not yet.  However it's more then possible one of the new ones got misplaced or missed somehow.  Then a helpful employee stacks it with the other Dantes just the wrong Dantes.  Hence when robot comes along it picks a Dante from the old Dante location, weight checks out within tolerances, size is right for expected packaging so it goes on it's merry way for dispatch (again either manually or robotically).

There have been a couple of leaks in this way and I can see why with all the woes they are having with the new system these kinds of mis-files are slipping through.  I was more surprised at the Cadian upgrade sprue leak as it was not a replacement product.  Anyway I hope that is a little bit of insight as to how this leak could have happened and suffice to say it's a common occurrence it's just people only really take note of it when something breaks a street date.

5 hours ago, Nephaston said:

I think this is because the model is clearly not ascending or descending rapily, but using the grav chutes for a measured descent to shoot. So it's fast enough to make the parchment and loincloth flap and billow, but not fast enough to follow right behind in a line.

Makes no sense, the purity seals lifting upwards is clear indication that the model is descending.  Yet the purity seal on the gun and the dick tabard look like they are just blowing in the wind.  Actually, this whole model looks like it was sculpted by at least three freelance artists who worked independently, then some intern at the office joined the cad files in a pose that looked d0pe.

(Edited for typos)

I finally remembered what this model reminds me of.  He is Disco Boy Lomartes Mk 2..

Sm-ba-lemartes.gif

Edited by appiah4

1 hour ago, Captain Smashy Pants said:

A few thoughts I have is that firstly I am glad that we didn’t get the ‘Triumph of Saint Katherine’ treatment with Dante and Sanguinary guard all on the same base. Secondly it’s a pity Tycho is officially dead, he’d look great given his original model and how they’ve handled Dante.

Considering you have to die to get through the Rubicon, it's entirely possible that Tycho's dead body may cross the Rubicon somehow.  I mean, the whole Primaris lore is stupidity in literary form

Edited by TrawlingCleaner
Removal of profanity

27 minutes ago, Nova-V said:

Found it interesting the scepticism some have had over the nature of the leak due to it being unlikely that the new stuff would be in the same warehouse as the live stock and thought I'd give a little background info as I work in the warehousing industry.  One of the core principals of warehousing is moving every thing as little as possible.  In an ideal world an item should only ever be moved twice, once from factory to warehouse and second from warehouse to customer/retailer.  Now this very rarely happens but for company like GW which controls manufacturing and distribution they have a better chance of it.

The likely order of events (this is based on experience not GW itself I've never worked with them) is they get the card stock in and this is stored in small warehouse on the factory site or nearby as card stock is more efficient to store then sprues.  They then make the sprues which will be married to the cardstock in the packing facility.  Now from this point on it doesn't matter if the item is out or not it is simply stock, there is no reason to waste sending it to one place to be held before moving it to a 'live' warehouse or even moving it within a warehouse.  Better to put it in it's final location and simply mark it as a no-ship/no-pick location.  We know GW has two warehouses due to their ongoing logistics problems serving different streams (direct to consumer and retail).  So a percentage will be sent to each after being packed.

Now we get to the warehouse itself and how on earth the item was shipped out.  We know this was the automated warehouse but it could have easily happened in the manual one as well.  As with any system it will only output the correct thing if the right thing is input.  In the automated warehouse the humans still have a role to play in telling the system what is what.  Every item must be correctly scanned and input into the computer so that it knows what is what and where.  Now all automated picking machines live by the all mighty barcode (or QR code or whatever scannable data format you are using but they are all essentially barcodes) and I don't mean the ones on the item.  Items are packed into a variety of storage systems (can be a simple shelf location, fancy hoppers, etc)  but the key thing is the picker picks from the location and not the item.  Now systems can have error checking, the most common being a simple weight check.  So anyone hoping to get a 10th Ed box by ordering a pot of paint will be disappointed!

From what I understand from previous statements GW deliberately chooses staff in the warehouse who couldn't care less about  Warhammer.  A sensible policy to minimise on leaks but it will mean that they are less likely to spot a mis-filing error.  To us it's obvious this is a new Dante but to the employee they don't know if it's 'new' new or simply a new boxing of an existing figure unless they were there when they were unpacked.  Now as we haven't heard reports of many Dantes being shipped out it's likely the majority of them were correctly stacked (manually or robotically) at a current do not pick location, as the box from the warehouse would have specified a sale date or had some kind of internal code for not yet.  However it's more then possible one of the new ones got misplaced or missed somehow.  Then a helpful employee stacks it with the other Dantes just the wrong Dantes.  Hence when robot comes along it picks a Dante from the old Dante location, weight checks out within tolerances, size is right for expected packaging so it goes on it's merry way for dispatch (again either manually or robotically).

There have been a couple of leaks in this way and I can see why with all the woes they are having with the new system these kinds of mis-files are slipping through.  I was more surprised at the Cadian upgrade sprue leak as it was not a replacement product.  Anyway I hope that is a little bit of insight as to how this leak could have happened and suffice to say it's a common occurrence it's just people only really take note of it when something breaks a street date.

Interesting insight on what could have happened. 

Agreed on the Cadian thing, would love to know how that got into the wild

4 hours ago, Vanger said:

Was Dante's rules sheet leaked too?

Not that I have seen. Following on from Azrael, i think we can assume +1A and +1W for crossing the Rubicon is a given.  I would like to see his Axe Mortalis given a similar buff with +1S and +1 Damage. At the moment it is literally a stock 10 point Relic Blade.

I would like to see his Deathmask get a bit of a buff too but that may be asking too much. I guess his rules will remain the same 

1 hour ago, appiah4 said:

Makes no sense, the purity seals lifting upwards is clear indication that the model is descending.  Yet the purity seal on the gun and the dick tabard look like they are just blowing in the wind.  Actually, this whole model looks like it was sculpted by at least three freelance artists who worked independently, then some intern at the office joined the cad files in a pose that looked d0pe.

(Edited for typos)

I finally remembered what this model reminds me of.  He is Disco Boy Lomartes Mk 2..

Sm-ba-lemartes.gif

reads to me like there is wind, rather than his motion impacting it, also the flow of the things is pretty consistent, the one exception is the one on the head which is angled a bit too horizontal, but they're all moving to the left (or his right), and all have a wave through them, like they're flapping in the wind, i'm sure you're aware that fabric and paper will also move differently with wind so the amount the are blown to the side would be logically different, he's certainly not as bad as the old lemartes as you seem to imply:
no.png

44 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Besides the already mentioned problems with the helmet/mask, his right leg's pose is unnatural and the tabard is too long. But that's a common issue with GW minis anyway.

As someone with a leg I can tell you that is a perfectly natural pose 

39 minutes ago, EnsignJoker said:

One underrated thing I really like about the model is the paint job on the marine helmet at his base. I like that “painted on” look of the death company “X” they went for, as opposed to the usual perfect looking way they put it on the DC Intercessors. Makes me wonder if there is a new dedicated kit coming for them with that type of paint job. 

Totally agree, I liked that detail too.

It's a bit strange that Death Company have such neatly repainted armour. Who gets close enough to stencil on the crosses?

A quickly swiped red X seems much more fitting.  More warpaint than uniform.