Faction Focus: Astra Militarum

Catachans really need some ccw options if they are going to be the ccw squad archetype. The fact the sarge can’t even get anything blows chunks.

2 hours ago, sairence said:

Oh wow, Russ with built in rerolls is sexy. Explains why it's not heavy, it's just not needed. I suspect they'll be able to operate pretty self-contained, without needing any support. Very nice to have a unit like that.

Just...where are the other turret options? Are they all separate datasheets again? In that case I suspect they are no longer vehicle squadrons. With no real force org restrictions I suppose it wouldn't really matter anywany.

Really surprised it kept it's 13th wound, that's great.

Don't really get the "Boo!" In the previous comment...

It’s not heavy because even now it’s uneffected by the heavy rule…

35 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

It’s not heavy because even now it’s uneffected by the heavy rule…

Quote from the rules please.

Multiple vehicles have been previewed with the heavy rule, including Wyverns and Basilisks.

What's in the 9th ed core rules is entirely irrelevant for these datasheets.

10 minutes ago, sairence said:

Multiple vehicles have been previewed with the heavy rule, including Wyverns and Basilisks.

Taken from the 10th ed core roles pdf they have uploaded to the community website:

Weapons with [HEAVY] in their profile are known as Heavy weapons. Each time an attack is made with such a weapon, if the attacking model’s unit Remained Stationary this turn, add 1 to that attack’s Hit roll.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Bastone said:

You're taking 5 special weapons since there's no point in taking double vox.

The box in most cases will be a huge waste. Yes CP are powerful, but a 4+/5+ chance at regenerating one if and only if you target the unit isn't worth it over another plasma gun as far as I can tell right now. 

4 hours ago, Marshal Mittens said:

20 man blob of krieg with psyker and command squad with medic bag for 4++ and D3 kriegers back each turn seems like a hard to move objective squad for its points cost.

I'd put in the Lord Solar instead of the command squad, but either way a hell of a back field unit to hold objectives and screen out your deployment zone.

Since he can order anyone I think you'd also benefit from him to give your tanks Take Aim constantly, or situationally take cover.

He's also good as you can flex in a Move Move Move for recycled squads to help them forward.

I'm hoping the points work out that I can run two waves of infantry. Should then be enough to not only screen out/contest the midfield, but also prevent any foot sloggers making it to my deployment zone. With the Lord splat's +1 cp a turn you can regularly recycle a unit a turn and ideally with move move move keep the enemy locked in the mid table forever.

W13 on LRBT is funny, since some big guns previewed, can deal up to 12 damage in one shot. 

Different turrets options going to different unit entries means they are practically no longer limited by rules of 3. I don't own more than 9 LRBT models and never think about buying that, but I know some guys will do. 

Edited by Tokugawa

4 hours ago, sairence said:

Because it’s pretty irrelevant since those vehicles are rarely moved in the first place, and it’s simply a way to help offset the artillery rule. 

4 hours ago, Cryptix said:

You're talking past each other. Inquisitor is saying its weapons aren't heavy because none of its weapons counted as heavy as 9th.

Peoples’ brains seem to be short circuiting over a new edition for some reason.

heavy rule effect is essentially the same as it was.

detachment rules are faction/subfaction rules, but people seem to not be able to get around a new way of doing things to understand the basics of what they are, which is all stuff that we already have.

6 hours ago, Commissar Yossarian said:

I'd put in the Lord Solar instead of the command squad, but either way a hell of a back field unit to hold objectives and screen out your deployment zone.

I would say you really want Leontus in a squad with a master vox in it. If you are throwing out 3 orders, that 24" range is going to be invaluable. So you would replace the Psyker, not the command squad, although that costs you the 4++ I guess.

4 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Peoples’ brains seem to be short circuiting over a new edition for some reason.

Maybe don't throw rocks in a glasshouse. 

It was not an inconceivable thought that a weapon with a +1 to hit would end up with bs4+ heavy. Instead, it ended up with re-rolls. Which is what Sairence said.

And there are a couple of cases where heavy have been used to improve bs of the other weapon selections, like sniper rifles and Sentinel ML.

Sentinel is looking really nice. All the reveals for AM have looked like feasible choices, bar the catachan. 

I just don't get the catachan squad, even the poor old sgt has 1 attack now.....:ermm:

If the inf squads keep their free wargear, then lascannons and grenade launchers are going to outshine the other choices by some margin :yes:

A2 on Catachans won't hurt any people and would be nowhere near OP, why GW didn't give that? 

On the other hand, there would be always a best and always a worst, among all the infantry squads options. Since Catachans have ancient bad models, making them worst is the "safest" option for consumers.

Edited by Tokugawa

30 minutes ago, Zoatibix said:

They’re unaugmented humans from a horde army. The are meant to be cheap and plentiful.

On the charge they get to S4, which is a useful breakpoint, and in an edition of lower AP they’re getting a pip of AP.

I feel that’s a reasonable reflection of them being tough dudes. 

I agree s4 and  -1ap is putting them in the same bracket as assault intercessors but woyld be nice if they could take a couple of power weapons being the melee focus squad. I imagine if there is a refresh of them coming in kill team these options will be addressed.

29 minutes ago, zarkkarn said:

I agree s4 and  -1ap is putting them in the same bracket as assault intercessors but woyld be nice if they could take a couple of power weapons being the melee focus squad. I imagine if there is a refresh of them coming in kill team these options will be addressed.

Oh, sure. I can absolutely see an Expendables kind of Catachan Kill Team if the rumoured ‘Jungle Season’ of KT turns out to be real.

Hm. Previews are making me anxious.

I see Wyverns with the Squadron keyword, I get happy because I think I'll be able to bring 12 Leman Russes in a valid list.

Then I see the Basilisk dataslate backcard, and it's 1 Basilisk only, even with the Squadron Keyword, and I get sad because apparently it doesn't mean anything.

Then I see the front of the LRBT dataslate and there's no other turrets there, which would mean it's all different units.

Should I get happy or not?

Edited by Gripp