10th Edition Warhammer Faction Focus: Adepta Sororitas

WAR

I see a lot of discussion about how to use the bad rolls, but I don't understand why? I can't see a cap to the number of MD, I don't see anything saying you _have_ to use your MDs each turn. Seems to me the pool is persistent

16 hours ago, Blight1 said:

Also important to note from the indirect fire rule we see that you're only allowed to kill models you can see like in Boarding Actions. (Unless you have the indirect fire rule of course)

It doesnt say anything remotely close to that. The defender assigns the wounds. Nothing changes.

57 minutes ago, Doctor Perils said:

I see a lot of discussion about how to use the bad rolls, but I don't understand why? I can't see a cap to the number of MD, I don't see anything saying you _have_ to use your MDs each turn. Seems to me the pool is persistent

This is all correct - however it used to be the case that you could use them (leadership rolls), so now that has changed people are just trying to work out if there are any other situations were they are effective - its nothing more than 'are they any use'

I picked up the SoB models from Imperium magazine (with doubled the issues for battle sisters/penitent engines/seraphim) as something for a future project.

I didn't pick up the codex as 10th was on the horizon so not particularly versed in the rules as they are now for comparison but I like what I see. The rules seem pretty good with a balance of complexity against theme that seems ok to me so far. Enough to actually feel like I want to make the models I have as a priority over other projects.

I'm liking that similar weapons have different profiles for different armies. It always seemed a bit off that a normal human could wield a 'full sized' bolter and handle the recoil etc. Mere mortals having smaller versions with reduced stats is right. Marines being able rapid fire them one handed makes sense.

It will be hard at the start to remember there are differences now but after a few games with a given army I'm sure it'll be second nature again.

14 hours ago, Arikel said:

Thought I would pop this in here too, but you could use a bad miracle dice to auto fail a save and start getting bonuses perhaps?

I am seeing this mentioned a lot of places.

Yes it would work, yes it's a boost.

But it's horrible. A miracle to murder your own sisters? It's sacreliege! A completely awful and wrong thing and I loathe if it's the mechanic to use. GW should feel shame.

Now if there is a sister with a flag or something that inverts miracle dice however.... Then we are talking!

11 hours ago, Montford said:

Some of these previews have gotten me speculating on which 5 or 6 stratagems the Sisters will be keeping, or if some might be entirely new. Like the Space Marines the Sisters will probably have more than just the one Our Martyred Lady style of play when they publish the rules when the new edition drops.

The ones they have for boarding actions will probably be a good indication of what we can expect. Faith & Fury & Divine intervention are both there. Interestingly so is Cleansed by Fire but the effect is quite different. One new one is Brook No Defeat which I'd like to see in 10th: Lets you fall back from melee & shoot the the unit you fell back from with rerolls to hit & wound.

53 minutes ago, Emicus said:

I am seeing this mentioned a lot of places.

Yes it would work, yes it's a boost.

But it's horrible. A miracle to murder your own sisters? It's sacreliege! A completely awful and wrong thing and I loathe if it's the mechanic to use. GW should feel shame.

Now if there is a sister with a flag or something that inverts miracle dice however.... Then we are talking!

I am hoping there will be a mechanic that will allow bad miracle dice to be used in some other way, but it surely wasn't murder! You heard Sister Joanne saying how she couldn't wait to martyr herself for the emperor. I...just helped things along a little bit is all. Besides she was a pompous little snit.

7 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Wow, okay bad brain!

Somehow I forgot that the 9th ed. rule was that only one unit could do an AoF per phase unless they had a simulacrum.

So yeah, new AoF WAY better, and though I'd still love for a single unit to be able to use two MD every now and again, the MD generation probably is the better bargain now because of the issue with ones.

Park a Unit within 6" of the Triumph of Saint Katherine, select the Simulacrum of the Ebon Chalice, and that Unit can use as many Miracle Dice as you like. :biggrin:

8 hours ago, ThePenitentOne said:

The strat they need to keep is Moment of Grace. After a roll to hit, to wound or to save, you can discard up to 2 MD which each confer a +1 to the roll, regardless of the value of the MD. It's a get mechanic to deal with ones. The problem is that this is a strat that ALL detachments require, and strats are determined by detachment.

Maybe they keep the ability, but make it a unit ability for a Leader or an Aura ability. 

I'd prefer something that mimics the Ebon Chalice trait. Discard an extra MD to turn another MD into a 6. I found it great for using low die rolls. 

Was wondering if anyone else noticed that the regular battle sisters had a 6+ invulnerable save? Is that new for 10th edition? It's not much but it isn't nothing either.

I'm assuming it is also justified as simply believing the emperor will protect. Faith is strong shield and potent weapon in 40K after all. 

Need to finish up my novitiates so I am ready when the rest of my sisters come in.

All sisters units have this now.

3 minutes ago, Arikel said:

Was wondering if anyone else noticed that the regular battle sisters had a 6+ invulnerable save? Is that new for 10th edition? It's not much but it isn't nothing either.

I'm assuming it is also justified as simply believing the emperor will protect. Faith is strong shield and potent weapon in 40K after all. 

Need to finish up my novitiates so I am ready when the rest of my sisters come in.

2 minutes ago, Arikel said:

They've always had that as part of the Shield of Faith army rule. It also included a weak Deny the Witch ability, but that part of the ability was so weak (you got a single d6 to deny with) that I never successfully used it. 

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

They've always had that as part of the Shield of Faith army rule. It also included a weak Deny the Witch ability, but that part of the ability was so weak (you got a single d6 to deny with) that I never successfully used it. 

Keep in mind it would auto-deny on a roll of a 6, or combine it with the Aegis of the Emperor Sacred Rite against heavy psychic armies to auto-deny on 5+. Was kinda neat today, even if niche.

18 hours ago, tzeentch9 said:

Overcharge plasma, use a one miracle dice for the hit, give the rest of the unit plus one to hit for the rest of the game

I've had a situation come up in 9th a few times - 

Sister Superieor is only model left in a squad, opponent charges sister superior to get on the objective she's holding.

I spend the command points to overwatch, and pop a 1. My unit is destroyed, there's no one to charge, and they are stuck where they started, and a unit is destroyed giving me a miracle dice for that phase.

2 minutes ago, MoshJason said:

Sister Superieor is only model left in a squad, opponent charges sister superior to get on the objective she's holding.

I spend the command points to overwatch, and pop a 1. My unit is destroyed, there's no one to charge, and they are stuck where they started, and a unit is destroyed giving me a miracle dice for that phase.

That is beautiful :laugh:

Truly sacrificing herself for the victory! 

18 minutes ago, MoshJason said:

I've had a situation come up in 9th a few times - 

"Why aren't you guys moving, I thought I ordered a charge?"

"Well, we started to, but before we could begin the enemy immolated themselves in a plasma explosion, chanting something about martyrdom, and we're all just kinda stunned"

Yes, I've been left a bit underwhelmed.  I get the feeling GW is expecting miracle dice to not just be a gimmick, but a cornerstone tool for our army to even function.

Potentially a lot of MD given as we're going to need them to deal with tough units seeing as (thus far) we seem to be capped at S10 when most other previews armies have 12 or even higher to deal with that.

I had hoped to see Holy Trinity baked into battle sisters.

Something I'm interested to see going forward is how critical the +1 to wound from the Detachment turns out to be to the army's performance. If it's too inconsistent and Miracle Dice do most of the leg work then it's no problem, but if it's a significant part of what makes Sisters effective then that puts a lot of pressure on the other eventual Detachment rules to compensate for its absence.

That's all in the very distant future though.

Edited by Commander Dawnstar

17 hours ago, Commander Dawnstar said:

Something I'm interested to see going forward is how critical the +1 to wound from the Detachment turns out to be to the army's performance. If it's too inconsistent and Miracle Dice do most of the leg work then it's no problem, but if it's a significant part of what makes Sisters effective then that puts a lot of pressure on the other eventual Detachment rules to compensate for its absence.

That's all in the very distant future though.

I think it'll help a lot of the low end of stuff, getting bolt guns to wound T3 on 2s, flamers wounding marines on 2s. getting MM to wound big tanks on 4s will obviously be a bigger help too but i think you will probably MD those real important guns if you have it. 

On 5/10/2023 at 1:13 PM, Emperor Ming said:

Triumph got nerfed:laugh:

It was never even a good pick:laugh:

Uhhm... No.

Could the old Triumph attach a unit of twenty sisters for ablative wounds AND a Hospitaller to rez those sisters as they fall in order to become literally immortal?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the old Triumph had too many wounds to benefit from obscuring terrain.