Space Marine - The Board Game (US Exclusive @ Launch)

10 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

Seems the box is finally out and about, so we got a GW painting tutorial showing off the sprue for a couple of seconds.

Easy-to-Build mini on a snap-off sprue that seems uncharacteristically inefficient regarding space usage. But there is a helmet option.

Also not a normal trapezoid sprue but round instead. So maybe that sprue is not actually made in house or at least the mold was made somewhere else?

That and how the part numbers and how the text is done is also different. I know this style is used by Bandais GunPla but no idea if its specific to them or used by others too

Edited by Matrindur

1 minute ago, Matrindur said:

Also not a normal trapezoid sprue but round instead. So maybe that sprue is not actually made in house or at least the mold was made somewhere else?

The round ones are the same the space marine heroes line uses, they're the ones where you can snap off the parts without tools.

4 hours ago, Matrindur said:

That and how the part numbers and how the text is done is also different. I know this style is used by Bandais GunPla but no idea if its specific to them or used by others too

They've been making models on sprues like this since 2017; it's been used for every Space Marine Heroes release (and every subsequent box game that used those models like Doomsday Countdown, Rise of the Orks, Labyrinth of the Necrons etc) and was also used for the standalone releases Chaplain Tarentus and Lexicanum Varus.

So yeah, nothing new, is made in-house by GW, it's just a style that was designed for the Japanese blind-box market where presumably the target audience (collectors) weren't necessarily already going to have the tools and glue required to assemble standard GW minis.

46 minutes ago, lhg033 said:

It may not be the case at all but the rounded sprue makes it look cheaper/like the detail or quality may not be as good.

Probably me having flash backs to early 90s cheap airfix kits there.

I've got all 3 Space Marine Heroes sets and both Varus and Tarentus, there's absolutely no discernible quality difference between these and models from "standard" sprues.

I'm assuming Titus won't have dedicated 40k rules?

As it stands the model is pretty underwhelming, but I think he'll look better with the helmet on. I'd need to see it from more angles to judge the pose fully.

He's quite a famous character, and the fanfare has been limited by the way they chose to release the mini.

16 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I'm assuming Titus won't have dedicated 40k rules?

As it stands the model is pretty underwhelming, but I think he'll look better with the helmet on. I'd need to see it from more angles to judge the pose fully.

He's quite a famous character, and the fanfare has been limited by the way they chose to release the mini.

He'd either need dedicated rules, or the primaris lieutenant needs a chainsword option added

29 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

He'd either need dedicated rules, or the primaris lieutenant needs a chainsword option added

That's a very good point. His wargear might be a hint that he will actually receive dedicated rules in the future.

On 7/30/2023 at 8:43 PM, Matrindur said:

Used by pretty much every model maker but GW. Could have been produced by anyone.

18 hours ago, SirJyo said:

I don't see anyone asking the real questions.

Is the boardgame good?

Or do I have to walk down the street and buy one myself?

From what i gathered from other sites. (Bbg)

The answer is no if you are thinking of it as a stand alone boardgame.