Legions Imperialis & Epic hobby chat!

Pacific81

My test models so far. Showing these pictures reveals details that can’t be seen with the naked eye!IMG_3570.thumb.jpeg.f61248fbe3d66fff15b6e87f6bb3df75.jpegIMG_3566.thumb.jpeg.ed3a83953dd83c73ebc4fbfc90466353.jpegIMG_3567.thumb.jpeg.5a44fa93169c4418b92b523f4b000313.jpegIMG_3568.thumb.jpeg.820fd8c72311261531b3493a3f99a900.jpegIMG_3569.thumb.jpeg.5d2b8c915aecb7cb373f1ccf6be0db58.jpeg

My verdict so far: the yellow looks a bit “messy” and that’s made me hesitate about adding any more definition. It’s a lilac basecoat, white dry brush, contrast yellow. Maybe the Mk VI or airbrush would get better results.

I quite like the Emperor’s Child, but they’d look better on a sandy base (which would match my game board but not my titans). World Eater looks ok, but Ulthuan Grey is really testing my patience these days. Alpha Legion looks good, although not sure if Mk II suits. 

Word Bearer too dark, but might work with metallic red. 

In summary: it’s not really helping me decide!

Edited by LameBeard

3 hours ago, LameBeard said:

My test models so far. Showing these pictures reveals details that can’t be seen with the naked eye!IMG_3570.thumb.jpeg.f61248fbe3d66fff15b6e87f6bb3df75.jpegIMG_3566.thumb.jpeg.ed3a83953dd83c73ebc4fbfc90466353.jpegIMG_3567.thumb.jpeg.5a44fa93169c4418b92b523f4b000313.jpegIMG_3568.thumb.jpeg.820fd8c72311261531b3493a3f99a900.jpegIMG_3569.thumb.jpeg.5d2b8c915aecb7cb373f1ccf6be0db58.jpeg

My verdict so far: the yellow looks a bit “messy” and that’s made me hesitate about adding any more definition. It’s a lilac basecoat, white dry brush, contrast yellow. Maybe the Mk VI or airbrush would get better results.

I quite like the Emperor’s Child, but they’d look better on a sandy base (which would match my game board but not my titans). World Eater looks ok, but Ulthuan Grey is really testing my patience these days. Alpha Legion looks good, although not sure if Mk II suits. 

Word Bearer too dark, but might work with metallic red. 

In summary: it’s not really helping me decide!

Nice work, I was debating whether to get some of those MKii prints. How do they compare with the GW plastics? 

Cadmus 

22 minutes ago, Cadmus Tyro said:

Nice work, I was debating whether to get some of those MKii prints. How do they compare with the GW plastics? 

Cadmus 

I haven’t tackled my plastics yet, just looked at the sprues. But for me it was never either/or. I like the variety which is why I wanted both. 

Compared to the plastic: clean-up is longer because of the supports, it’s more brittle, detail is probably not quite as good - it’s not print layers, more that the lines seem “deeper” or more defined on the plastic somehow, but that might be the armour mk.  Very good range of poses in the 3d prints without the mould issues, indeed I think we know mkii in plastic is currently impossible. Size-wise, very close. 

Price-wise, I thought I’d got a good deal. But I forgot bases and had to spend quite a lot on them, so overall not a great difference. So I’m glad I got them, I might even get another formation, but generally I’m not going to buy a 3d printer and I’m going to keep buying lots of GW plastic if they can actually make it and distribute it.

My good deal was for tacticals (and the nice guy threw in some devastator samples) so I’m going to have to convert a command squad. I think that will be tricky with this brittle material. 

2 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

Quite liking your version of the World Eaters. Look very gritty.

My vanity made me think you were talking about mine - before I remembered @dice4thedicegod who has some beautiful World Eaters just above.

But I think you are onto something with the ‘grit’. Although I think the epic models benefit from bright colours, these Mk II models have no real gap at the top of the leg to show it’s armour - it can look a bit like they’re in their pyjamas at a distance. The Agrax over the grey is helping counteract that perhaps?

I was talking about yours as it was the subject of discussion after all. @dice4thedicegod does also have well painted miniatures too.

So all good.

The small nature of the Marines, with a bit of off white elements makes them look good. Realistic. At war.

Plus World Eaters are yum.

@LameBeard what on earth are you doing painting shoulder pad trims on epic scale minis?! What a mad man!

But in order; Emperor's Children, World Eaters, Alpha Legion, Imperial Fist, Word Bearer. I would move Imperial Fist up a spot if the black pads and trim were yellow, but that's just personal taste and I get that it can end up looking like a bunch of sweetcorn 5 to a base. 

53 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

@LameBeard what on earth are you doing painting shoulder pad trims on epic scale minis?! What a mad man!

But in order; Emperor's Children, World Eaters, Alpha Legion, Imperial Fist, Word Bearer. I would move Imperial Fist up a spot if the black pads and trim were yellow, but that's just personal taste and I get that it can end up looking like a bunch of sweetcorn 5 to a base. 

The trim is absolute hell but it’s there and I don’t know how else to deal with it! It’s one of those occasions when the extra detail is actually working against you … the only way I could even try was paint the trim first and then paint the pad inside. 

On @Captain Idaho’s point, I remember a video on small scale heresy which suggested desaturated colours or filters, which make it look like you are looking down from afar - through the haze as it were - making it more realistic. I wasn’t doing that on purpose but the off-white might be having that effect. 

37 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

The trim is absolute hell but it’s there and I don’t know how else to deal with it! It’s one of those occasions when the extra detail is actually working against you … the only way I could even try was paint the trim first and then paint the pad inside. 

On @Captain Idaho’s point, I remember a video on small scale heresy which suggested desaturated colours or filters, which make it look like you are looking down from afar - through the haze as it were - making it more realistic. I wasn’t doing that on purpose but the off-white might be having that effect. 

With trim heavy minis you could actually not paint the trim at all -  mkIII and similar with all the rivets and trims would look good with maybe one more lighter drybrush and the occasional spot colour. e.g Imperial Fists - you could do something like prime white, contrast imperial fist, light drybrush a silver over the top then wash again with fleshshade or sepia.  At that scale it might give you highlights, depth and weathering all at once. 

Very nice @LameBeard a nice selection there they look great. I used the same selection process of painting some different ones when I couldn't decide and was changing which Legion I wanted to do every 2 hours.

For the WE, if you wanted to make them a bit darker I found using a dark/black wash, then a drybrush of white with a tiny bit of Celestial Grey (so it's not a pure white) helped.

Costs wise have you tried https://www.mighty-minis-uk.com/ ? He has some really low prices on the kmfp design guys at the moment.

@Valkyrion - thank you, I am not going to say "mmmm sweetcorn" whenever playing against Imperial Fists :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Black Cohort said:

Am I the only one who found it weird that the plastic 28mm SA has a bunch of things the LI SA don't and vice versa?  Wouldn't it make sense to harmonize the stuff you are releasing in both scales?

My assumption is that's 'saving stuff for later release waves' issue - The Leman Russes had to be shown off first to make it a 'your own choice' thing to buy 40k Russes.

I haven't been posting much since I kept on adding to my pile of wip and telling myself I'd get pics after more progress, and then I'd more stuff lol.

PXL_20240119_234317000.thumb.jpg.53834ee8bef6620576c683462ba18dfe.jpg

Ok, so this has everything I've been working on lately and wrapped up for yesterday's game:

1 thunderhawk 

1 command squad 

1 legate/SA command squad 

4 veltaris

4 assault marines

4 missile marines 

10 rhinos (only needed 9 for the game)

12 contemptors

16 tarantulas 

16 tactical marines (only needed 14 for the game)

And then also 6 objective markers and two other markers for broken/not broken or alt objectives.

I'll try and get some pics of stuff individually as I add some finishing details, but I'm a bit burnt on the painting right now lol.

That looks awesome SkimaskMohawk. How many points is that roughly? I am in the depressing situation of feeling like I have painted up a load of stuff over the weekend, then finding it only comes to about 200pts haha. I have a game coming up in the week and will need to sub in some old minis just to reach 1000pts, and that is with a Warhound. 

30 minutes ago, Pacific81 said:

That looks awesome SkimaskMohawk. How many points is that roughly? I am in the depressing situation of feeling like I have painted up a load of stuff over the weekend, then finding it only comes to about 200pts haha. I have a game coming up in the week and will need to sub in some old minis just to reach 1000pts, and that is with a Warhound. 

Of just the new stuff? 

The pioneer company is 178

Rhinos are 108

Thunderhawk is 150

Contemptors are 200

Missiles are 40

Command squad is 25

Assault marines are 24

Tactical are roughly 95

So it's 820 of total points. Which is also depressing, because I had to base 75 models and that's like a full 40k army lol. I also know what you mean with the warhound; it feels like a huge amount of stuff on the table when you go just infantry and tanks.