Legions Imperialis & Epic hobby chat!

Pacific81

59 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

LI has really reignited my desire to paint Titans and Knights again; the we fellas and tanks running along scoring objectives are cool, but they're not the real thing.:cool:

But they sure are fun toooo

Oh I hear you. As a reward for finishing the Air Support, I made an order from Battle Bling to construct another CC Reaver and I’ve told myself that once I finish the Infantry I’ll get to paint the Warhounds from the Starter Box. I grabbed a Conversion Beam and Graviton for them as well to pair with the Swarm Missiles which seems like a pretty good loadout in both LI and Titanicus. 

Speaking of the two, I’ve decided to gift my friend the Auxilia half of the box to hopefully reignite his interest in AT and get him started in LI. He showed an interest in running an Armored Column SA force so this will be a good springboard for him. It doesn’t hurt that most of the SA stuff is up on eBay pretty cheap since just about everyone who’s playing the game wants Astartes. 

8 hours ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Super generous of you mate, nice work.

I think it’s more out of selfish desire to get someone else to play more than anything, lol. My other friend is doing Iron Warriors, but he’s buying kits and models individually and insists on painting stripes on the pauldrons so I expect to see him in the looney bin soon. 

So I still don't have my main order of LI yet.  But I have found an old AI box of lightning fighters and a box of baneblades to add to my one starter.  Pretty much everything is assembled, but I have not started any painting.  The delay in getting my main order is killing me, but it should arrive shortly. 

In the meantime I am printing buildings and order tokens from Grumpy Guy Gaming on Pateron.  Still tying to figure out how to make some proper forests and hills too.

Happy New Year all!

How’s everyone tackling the infantry bases?  I’m not too keen on doing an urban themed base and was thinking of using something like 2/4mm tufts. I’m wanting something that will contrast starkly with my green Marines so either the yeti blue or the purple. 

IMG_2222.png

Edited by Raziel-TX

5 hours ago, Raziel-TX said:

How’s everyone tackling the infantry bases?  I’m not too keen on doing an urban themed base and was thinking of using something like 2/4mm tufts. I’m wanting something that will contrast starkly with my green Marines so either the yeti blue or the purple. 

IMG_2222.png

Alien planet tufts look great. Here a few pics from my Iron Empire (Raging Heroes used as 2nd 40K Imps):

https://ibb.co/album/CJSHj9

Edited by Deus_Ex_Machina

Thanks all. I went ahead and got an order of a neon pink and an neon blue tufts (2mm and 6mm respectively). 

My dudes will be patrolling alien and electric ‘Nam apparently. All transpo craft will have Fortunate Son playing on repeat as they insert into the LZ :biggrin:

Just wanted to post where I am at.  Mech and air forces assembled.  Waiting to try out my new paint booth for everyone but not sure it will handle rattle cans.

Spoiler

20240105_185527.thumb.jpg.b1e198251daa5b98bae5e2731a4a2a5b.jpg20240105_185532.thumb.jpg.37d10648b8558ba6870ffc218b0018a4.jpg

It's not.much, but once I get my other order I will feel like I have a real army.

Been going through my boxes. Loving the majority of the kits so far. The sponsons are a bit fiddly but the Marines with missile launchers are the worst.

Am thinking of doing the infantry on lolly sticks method for painting. Is it best to use super glue or pva glue to stick them on to the sticks?

Alternatively, is anyone painting them on the bases? How fiddly is that? 

28 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Lolly sticks are quite good, on the sprues are better for most of the minis, there are a couple that like falling off though.

Yeah having seen that you just need to scrape the pad mould lines, I think I might do this for the next batch. 

What glue did you use on the lolly sticks?

17 minutes ago, Burni said:

Yeah having seen that you just need to scrape the pad mould lines, I think I might do this for the next batch. 

What glue did you use on the lolly sticks?

I’m going to try double-sided sticky tape on coffee stirrers. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Found a lolly stick in my sons craft box and pva’d a spare marine to it. Holds well, I think it should resist some light dry brushing.

Just need to decide how to do the bases now. Ideally would like to glue the minis to them with plastic glue for the best hold but that would mean either painting them after gluing the minis on (could be tricky) or working out where each mini will be and putting masking fluid drops in place and then painting them fully (incredibly time consuming but best results).

Is everyone else just using super glue as the above is a stupid idea?

My problem with painting then sticking to the bases is they ended up having shiny glue showing on some parts and you need to use additional steps to offset that. And I can't be bothered with the additional work! So this batch is the last going on the bases after being painted probably.

I didn't find it too difficult to paint on bases. The angles were annoying for some parts but mostly it didn't affect me at all. Especially how small they are and if you can't see them them to paint... 

7 hours ago, Burni said:

Been going through my boxes. Loving the majority of the kits so far. The sponsons are a bit fiddly but the Marines with missile launchers are the worst.

Am thinking of doing the infantry on lolly sticks method for painting. Is it best to use super glue or pva glue to stick them on to the sticks?

Alternatively, is anyone painting them on the bases? How fiddly is that? 

Infantry needs to be painted on the sprues.

23 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

My problem with painting then sticking to the bases is they ended up having shiny glue showing on some parts and you need to use additional steps to offset that. And I can't be bothered with the additional work! So this batch is the last going on the bases after being painted probably.

I didn't find it too difficult to paint on bases. The angles were annoying for some parts but mostly it didn't affect me at all. Especially how small they are and if you can't see them them to paint... 

When all my minis on bases are finished they will receive a weathering step applying powders on them. This way shiny glue won´t be an issue as well as the lumps between their feet.

2 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

I’ve got the bases fully done and matte varnished before attaching the models. Any glue residue patches can easily be removed with a tiny scrub of superglue debonder, although I’ve found I don’t get glue residue anywhere by putting a drop of superglue on the underside of the model, then putting the model in place using a set of tweezers instead of using my sausage fingers to apply the model to the base.