Legions Imperialis & Epic hobby chat!

Pacific81

Superglue is best for temp bases, pva will sometimes rip up the wood ive found, plus it takes ages to dry :D 

You definitely dont need to paint models off their bases though, ive got hundreds of epic orks all done on their bases who are a lot smaller and paint intensive than modern space marines :D 

11 hours ago, LameBeard said:

I’m going to try double-sided sticky tape on coffee stirrers. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Well it’s working so far. Better than blue-tac I’d say. Can’t believe how many “stirrers’-worth” it’s going to be even for one formation …

IMG_3556.jpeg

IMG_0900.thumb.jpeg.3594d567f938d8033f98a0c5392defe4.jpeg

If you’re after plain bases suitable for Epic: Legions, Warlord Games do a variety of sizes – above are the 25mm ones. Similar bevel and profile than GW’s, and also handily recessed, so you can partially hide the integrated round bases of most third party models :)

Has anyone found some suitable scaled 3rd party decals/transfers? I'd like to add some more smaller markings to my SA forces but the LI sheets for them have mostly bigger sized numbers or regiment logos. 

23 minutes ago, Matcap86 said:

Has anyone found some suitable scaled 3rd party decals/transfers? I'd like to add some more smaller markings to my SA forces but the LI sheets for them have mostly bigger sized numbers or regiment logos. 

Where will you add the markings? I was going to add a little warhounds decal to make my Malcadors “Legion Malcadors” but I can’t find any room between all the trim and rivets!

Just now, LameBeard said:

Where will you add the markings? I was going to add a little warhounds decal to make my Malcadors “Legion Malcadors” but I can’t find any room between all the trim and rivets!

That's why I want smaller decals! The malcadors are going to be tricky either way though. 

You can check the FW transfer sheets, they have some pretty small ones on there. I’m not sure if they’re quite small enough and I don’t think they ever produced any Solar Auxilia sheets either, unless you’re painting the Malcadors up as Legion tanks, then you may have better luck. 

25 minutes ago, DuskRaider said:

You can check the FW transfer sheets, they have some pretty small ones on there. I’m not sure if they’re quite small enough and I don’t think they ever produced any Solar Auxilia sheets either, unless you’re painting the Malcadors up as Legion tanks, then you may have better luck. 

My little Warhound head *is* from a Forgeworld sheet. I’m talking power armour knee-pad or Cataphractii shoulder-icon size. Could do an epic rhino door about right but too big for the Malcador.

Legion decal sheets have some really nice and small options (though not many). 

The banner has a decal from the FW legion decal sheet. The small DA symbol on the Knight Captain’s cloak is from the Kratos’ decal sheet. 

IMG_2258.jpeg

IMG_2256.jpeg

IMG_2255.jpeg

14 hours ago, DuskRaider said:

They did actually. It was great! I hope they rerelease it (or something similar) with plastic SA coming for 30k: 

image.thumb.png.909613f011549442a9ea83ce4ba03b38.png

I've been using some kneepad transfer from my SoH transfer sheet but those ones are way bigger than the LI ones. Really looking for teensy tiny ones. 

Honestly for shoulder pad insignia the best results I have seen have been just a tiny free-hand of the logo. I've tried this for my Night Lords, with just a tiny blob for the skull and a couple of red lines for the wings. It won't stand up to scrutiny through a macro lense but via the human eyeball (and definitely on the tabletop) I think it's fine.

Then you have those FW Heresy decal sheets, which are designed for shoulder pads at 28mm but also work really well for Epic vehicles.

4 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

Honestly for shoulder pad insignia the best results I have seen have been just a tiny free-hand of the logo. I've tried this for my Night Lords, with just a tiny blob for the skull and a couple of red lines for the wings. It won't stand up to scrutiny through a macro lense but via the human eyeball (and definitely on the tabletop) I think it's fine.

Then you have those FW Heresy decal sheets, which are designed for shoulder pads at 28mm but also work really well for Epic vehicles.

Yeah I’m good with that, lol. I’ve got so many damn Astartes infantry at this point that even the thought of attempting the Death Guard icon on their pauldron gives me the shakes.