Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - Print On Demand

Lord Marshal

Whilst I love that they do this (and that both chaos books are at whw), I really wish they'd make available the compendiums and vehicle manuals too! So much nostalgia I have is also in that early codification of the setting leading to 2nd edition. 

And I wish with TOW they do the same with old fantasy books...

9 minutes ago, Stitch5000 said:

The Rogue Trader book is £40 on the shelves of WHW if that is a guide, and there have been copies in stock continuously for about 3 years straight now. I don't think it will be particularly prone to scalping. 

Well it's print to order anyway, so the usual thing scalpers rely on (artificial scarcity created by them buying up the supply) won't apply here because the number "available" is effectively infinite.

Personally I'm well happy to see this available to everyone. Still got my paperback from 1989 and picked up a hardback copy a few years ago when they we're doing it as an event only product.  But to see it available for everyone (albeit print on demand) I think is superb for the 30k/40k community.

Considering some of the more 'fringe' stuff that's in it that we've seen revisited with Blackstone fortress, I'm hoping to see more in the future!... Be that via whatever form the next 30/40k Warhammer quest boxed game takes, and / or Kill team or Necromunda........... I mean, come on! - If kill team is going to a deathworld next, I damn well want to see a Catachan devil off the page and onto a sprue! Along with some of the other flora and fauna to be found in this book.

I recommend it to any 40k fan, even though the setting is a little more hair metal than dark gothic in this original tome!

9 hours ago, alfred_the_great said:

I can’t wait for the whinging about balance…

I've held for some time now that WH40k should be approached as meant in rogue trader regardless of edition, so unbalanced, simulatory, and as a semi RPG. It's way more fun to design games that aren't balanced, than try and find ones that are

59 minutes ago, Muskie said:

How does one order it? I was just on both warhammer community and games workshop's web store. I can pre-order other stuff but not this.

It'll be available to order from Saturday 14th October until Monday 23rd October (8am BST). They'll print one for anyone who orders, and you'll get them some time in the following 6 months. :smile: 

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

2 hours ago, gideon stargreave said:

I've held for some time now that WH40k should be approached as meant in rogue trader regardless of edition, so unbalanced, simulatory, and as a semi RPG. It's way more fun to design games that aren't balanced, than try and find ones that are

Have you met the internet?

Would have been kind of fun if they had shadow dropped the book along with the article yesterday.  However with all of their logistics issues it probably would have been ambitious!

As someone who only got into Warhammer in the last 4 years I'm really interested by this from a historical context.  I have no nostalgia for it but from what I have heard the lore in those days was pretty out there.

5 minutes ago, nightlordsfanboi said:

Oh cool we are doing print on demand now GW? Rerelease the Imperial Armour Books you cowards! I need a new copy of the Badab War!

Badab War would fly off the shelves. That would be awesome.

Maybe someone can tell them it ties in well with the latest Huron stuff? GW does love their Current Thing tie-ins.

Edited by phandaal

Tangentially related, GW have posted a painting tutorial for the retro Salamanders colour scheme from the Badab War section of the RT book (although why they used a Primaris Sternguard Veteran rather than a MKVI Tactical Marine is beyond me). Would be nice if they continue to do content like this that references Rogue Trader.