A Time of Reaving Interest

Black Cohort

Land at the outpost, determine the garrison's loyalty. If traitors, plan a method of attack that maximizes our chances of retrieving supplies while minimizing damage. If loyal, convince them to give as much resupply as possible, and maybe convince the garrison itself to join the crew.

Logic would suggest Ekene, he's already been speaking to them? Maybe introduce Hadad now as well, makes them less likely to blow us out of the sky on approach?

In fact, they did invite us to visit:

Still it will be good to see another Astartes face before you leave.

Maybe accept the invite, and add that there are matters we wish to discuss as Astartes, without mortal involvement, hence why we'd like to come direct to the garrison (again, if they know Hadad is aboard, they might be more inclined to let us land inside their big defences, which gives us a much better chance of survival if they aren't friendly?)

30 minutes ago, Black Cohort said:

still need someone to message the Iron Warriors garrison to kick off the next step.

I thought Elvrit asked the captain do so in this post, and I had Hadad get ready to assist the Captain should it be nessecery to help convince them... did I missunderstand?

56 minutes ago, Trokair said:

I thought Elvrit asked the captain do so in this post, and I had Hadad get ready to assist the Captain should it be nessecery to help convince them... did I missunderstand?

Elvrit was just saying what he thought they should say next, rather than ordering anyone to do so.

Like I said, it makes sense to me for Ekene to send the message (as he sent the first one, and the garrison replied to him?) and perhaps introduce Hadad at this point... but if Urauloth is busy, could/should we maybe type something out on his behalf?

Question: what are the chances of getting our sneaky bois off the 'hawk and into the base while we are landing? (Just in case talking to the 2 who have come out goes badly!)

I guess that if we have told them he is with us, Hadad should make the first approach?

1 hour ago, Black Cohort said:

I mean you could make a stealth attempt, but given that I don't think you have any camo cloaks right now it would be dodgy, and failure would not be good.

Fair enough. Can we please specify that we have landed the 'hawk on an angle that the main gate of the fortress is within the fire arc of our turbolaser destructor... just in case we need a bit of help getting inside! :biggrin:

Just thinking... they know that we have at least 3 Legions among us - arrived on a Salamanders ship, have a (former) IW aboard, and now turn up in a DA 'hawk. Is there any point in hiding that we also have IH and RG with us?

The only problem is that if the IW already know about what the traitors were planning on Istvaan (i.e. they are traitors themselves) then they are going to immediately put 2 and 2 together and work out that is where we've come from?

3 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

The only problem is that if the IW already know about what the traitors were planning on Istvaan (i.e. they are traitors themselves) then they are going to immediately put 2 and 2 together and work out that is where we've come from?

I think we've got no choice but to play it out now.

If Hadad and Ekene go out first and we trundle behind, it gives them what they're expecting, and buy us time if there's a problem.

2 hours ago, Black Cohort said:

I feel better now.  helped that I think I averaged 9 hours of sleep since Saturday.

Glad to hear it!

If these IW are lying to us, they must have Deceive +20 (Talented) :tongue:

The trouble is, even though I think they are probably telling the truth, I also keep thinking of the Iron Cage and how they are known for drawing their enemies in with cunning tricks...

18 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

Sorry Trokair, I think your post went up when I was still writing mine! I can edit it so it fits better.

No worries, an I can likewise edit. 

I guess it comes down to do we as a group want to be as truthfull as possible (without saying too much) or if a more rounded but flase cover story is better.

It seems like they aren't buying it...

How far is it from the T'hawk ramp to Sul/Hadad/Thorg? And then from them to the fortress entrance?

Do we want to disembark the rest of us and try and get as close to the entrance as possible, in case it turns into a fight?

My gut feeling is that they are loyalists and don't have a clue what is going on, in which case I would say we should be as honest as we can... but I could be totally wrong...

One little idea that popped into my head just now...

If they do turn out to be real loyalists and know nothing about Istvaan or Horus Heresy, and if we tell them the truth about it...

should we tell them one lie and say that the IW fought on the loyalist side? Hadad being with us would make it believable?

That way we don't need to worry about how they might respond to being told that their whole Legion had turned traitor?

It would also take away the risk that they'd choose loyalty to their Primarch over loyalty to the Emperor, and attack us?