4 hours ago, Redcomet said:

They are busy updating many of the other models that need it and supporting other systems 

They should have just made Chaos a “dual system” army of sorts with many shared units across 40k and HH, the way that Chaos Daemons worked (and probably still do) across 40k and Fantasy. Chaos players having native support for at least the headlining HH units such as Contemptors, Sicarans, and Kratoses would really soften the sting of the dearth of character and unit support, especially for WE and TS.

But no, some bean counter decided that cross compatibility is bad.

13 hours ago, Rain said:

They should have just made Chaos a “dual system” army of sorts with many shared units across 40k and HH, the way that Chaos Daemons worked (and probably still do) across 40k and Fantasy. Chaos players having native support for at least the headlining HH units such as Contemptors, Sicarans, and Kratoses would really soften the sting of the dearth of character and unit support, especially for WE and TS.

But no, some bean counter decided that cross compatibility is bad.

I'd prefer the Chaos legions actually get kits unique to their setting then just using Heresy stuff. 10,000 years have passed since the Heresy, and a multitude of non-Legion Astartes have joined the ranks of chaos. The legions should feel evolved after their time in the EoT

9 minutes ago, sitnam said:

I'd prefer the Chaos legions actually get kits unique to their setting then just using Heresy stuff. 10,000 years have passed since the Heresy, and a multitude of non-Legion Astartes have joined the ranks of chaos. The legions should feel evolved after their time in the EoT

(a.) You already have that, the Dinobots, the Heldrake, the Defiler, and the Venomcrawler. DG get some more unique stuff, and TS get the Vortex Beast. What more Chaos-y stuff do you want? Oh that’s on top of heavily warp tainted infantry units like Possessed and Warp Talons, and the dreadnaught being all fleshy and demonic as well.

(b.) Time flows differently in the warp, for some warbands barely any time has passed.

(c.) Not all warbands actively worship Chaos.

(d.) Being Heresy vets with Heresy era equipment has been a theme of CSM since at least 2nd ed, hence the limits on Terminator armaments, Havoc Launchers instead of Hunter-Killers, etc.

(e.) Horus Heresy tanks are really cool.

New bikers, multipart chaos lord, new terminator lord/sorcerer and a new jump lord/sorcerer are what I would like.  Updated defiler would be nice but isn't as needed, same with helbrute and raptors/warp talons. A new ranged cultist unit or even a vehicle for them would be nice too. Would like a new chaos spawn kit as well, the current kit is alright but I think they could do better now.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:48 AM, OttoVonAwesome said:

If we gotta wait another 3 years for an update to raptors and bikers then GW needs to really sit down and think about what they are doing lol. Especially since one of these kits is jump pack lord. The range is almost completely updated literally just two unit types left come on let's gooooo!

True. It's not like they'd let us just bloody well kit bash one. 

No matter how much you hate the appearance of the current Raptors kits, it was a 2012 release and considered "modern technique product", and won't have high priority(if any) on future release schedule. Chaos bikers need update more urgently, as a 1999 ancient product.

Yup, it very much is. I wasnt a fan when it released what... 20 years ago? Its incredibly dated right now and doesn't really fit with anything else in the range since they firmed up what daemon engine can be and had the tech to do it.

2 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Yup, it very much is. I wasnt a fan when it released what... 20 years ago? Its incredibly dated right now and doesn't really fit with anything else in the range since they firmed up what daemon engine can be and had the tech to do it.

But like half the range is trash now, so why should it have to fit in?
What is this, a race to the bottom? 

I get they're not gonna replace the obliterators/Maulerfiend anytime soon, but that doesn't stop them being worse than the Defiler.

Bikini armoured, gym junkie, rock'em sock'em robots?
I'll take the giant tank crab thanks...

5 minutes ago, Shinespider said:

I truly cannot comprehend the mindset that puts the Defiler above either of the two images you've shown. 

I agree regarding the Defiler and the Maulerfiend. The Maulerfiend is a Daemon Engine, the Defiler is just an engine. Where's the Daemon part? I'm not fond of the speedos the Obliterator is wearing but I wouldn't write the entire model off due to one perplexing design choice. They still look like a massive step up from a lot of the old Obliterator  and Mutilator models.

Regarding the Defiler there is also this extended cover piece wher the dreadnought on the right battles something that may or may not be a Defiler.

fb0dv789xzty.jpeg.1927a391ed8fe714d02243b1cd5fb29f.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Magos Takatus said:

the Defiler is just an engine

Same issue I have with the Lord of Skulls (And why I still haven't built mine, despite getting it for free)

9 minutes ago, Shinespider said:

I truly cannot comprehend the mindset that puts the Defiler above either of the two images you've shown. 

I posted three images

image.png

I will take a Defiler 100% of the time over this thing.

But power to you if you're into it.

I would have preferred they had another go at trying to get something like this

Obliterator.jpg

Forgefiend with ectoplasma, Disco lord, Venomcrawler, Legionaries, Terminators, old tanks, Possessed etc are all great models.

Raptors, Oblits, Hellbrute, Mauler are bad.

The Defiler is just mid.

I'm not in love with it, but I don't find it as outwardly bad as some of the other models.

I was about to point out that the long, jagged limbs reminded me of the Forge World version of the Blood Slaughterer but that's far too hunched over to be what's depicted in the art. It's certainly interesting. I can't take a guess what that is but an updated Defiler would be nice.

1 hour ago, JayJapanB said:

But like half the range is trash now, so why should it have to fit in?
What is this, a race to the bottom? 

I get they're not gonna replace the obliterators/Maulerfiend anytime soon, but that doesn't stop them being worse than the Defiler.

Bikini armoured, gym junkie, rock'em sock'em robots?
I'll take the giant tank crab thanks...

I agree with this. The CSM (and World Eater/Death Guard if I'm honest) leave a lot to be desired. Then you have the TK's, who are now out of scale?

Its not great.

2 hours ago, JayJapanB said:

I posted three images

image.png

I will take a Defiler 100% of the time over this thing.

But power to you if you're into it.

I would have preferred they had another go at trying to get something like this

Obliterator.jpg

Forgefiend with ectoplasma, Disco lord, Venomcrawler, Legionaries, Terminators, old tanks, Possessed etc are all great models.

Raptors, Oblits, Hellbrute, Mauler are bad.

The Defiler is just mid.

I'm not in love with it, but I don't find it as outwardly bad as some of the other models.

Raptors, obliterators and helbrutes are excellent models. The Dinos are meh and the defiler is good concept, but bad model. Both in looks and in ease of use on the battlefield 

23 minutes ago, JayJapanB said:

Do the Defiler haters also hate Decimators?

image.thumb.png.4356518da53119e0f57db59e670fb805.png

No because it doesn't look like an early 00's lego kit. The big fat claws and oversized gear joints, the thick spikes on plates, the dopey head on the top. People don't like the defiler because its very clearly old and has low detail alongside being a pain to use due to spider limbs + no base.

They could do infinitely better if they tried again.

I also aren't sure how you like the forgefiend but dislike the maulerfiend, which I assume is purely down to having a fleshy face.

6 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Just to remind people the actual worst model in the chaos range bless it.

https://www.warhammer.com/en-GB/shop/Chaos-Space-Marines-Defiler

Screenshot_20231229-090334.thumb.png.557fd7c3e609ee1dbd766b8197af5ea9.png

They're kinda janky but I love Defilers, the kit could do with a modern update though. For me, all of the plastic Daemon engines are top tier, S+ 

Chaos Space Marines are in a good position at the moment IMO. They've only got one model in Finecast which is Huron and the only actual datasheet without a full kit is the power armoured Chaos Lord. That's far, far better off than most ranges (Drukhari my sweet summer child).

Bringing back JPLs is sick and updating the Termie lord is also great but they aren't as obvious of problems IMO.

Both the Bikes and the Defiler are definitely 20+ years old and probably on GWs list to update purely to get rid of knackered old moulds, I think the spawn is up there too?