We have good basic troops for undivided, nurgle, tzeentch and khorne now. It also helps to part out the different daemon engine concepts between factions in the way they have been doing (and the FW designs are no longer in the mix). I hope that Slaanesh gets venomcrawlers because that's how I painted mine :biggrin:

I really hope they have something cool planned for bikers.

13 hours ago, Ultramarine1999 said:

Respectfully disagree, there's a big opportunity with chaos to add a decent selection of named characters, not only would it give legions like iron warriors, night lords some identity now that detachments are a thing. But it would make the book less 'codex black legion'.

Yes, more Legion specific characters would definitely be better. I'm simply saying that over the last few editions the vast majority of the range has finally been updated and the army looks really good on the tabletop.

Your complaint can also be applied to the loyalist codex chapters. I personally can't believe that Pedro Kantor doesn't have an updated model, or that the white Scars don't have access to a bike character beyond the Chaplain.

1 hour ago, Orange Knight said:

Your complaint can also be applied to the loyalist codex chapters. I personally can't believe that Pedro Kantor doesn't have an updated model, or that the white Scars don't have access to a bike character beyond the Chaplain.

A majorty of the Chaos Legions don't even have a character (never did) but you want loyalist successor chapters to get their characters redone? Sorry, loyalist have no room to complain over chaos. Not even close. I saw people complaining about the new DA upgrade sprue being so nice now they need to redo the other ones from a few years ago. Chaos still needs their first. I'm starting to join the party that hates every loyalist marine release because they will never be enough for some people.

8 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

A majorty of the Chaos Legions don't even have a character (never did) but you want loyalist successor chapters to get their characters redone? Sorry, loyalist have no room to complain over chaos. Not even close. I saw people complaining about the new DA upgrade sprue being so nice now they need to redo the other ones from a few years ago. Chaos still needs their first. I'm starting to join the party that hates every loyalist marine release because they will never be enough for some people.

Is the night lord one not out? I thought it was now?

also, with the exception of emperors children, the other god-aligned legions have their unique basic units too - which you can kit bash with core kits quite nicely to get aligned basic legionaries too.

Not saying chaos don’t need love, they absolutely do, but actually, all said and done chaos are actually in a better position than loyalists from a legion specific updated model perspective these days. Fingers crossed we see more kits like the night lords one soon, I reckon an iron warrior or word bearer one would be cool… though I also feel like the latter is well covered by the kill team upgrade set tbh.

i think chaos characters could indeed do with an update sooner than the remaining loyalist ones though, and as others said, a character for each of the legions would not go amiss. I think all the loyalist chapters have at least one up to date character now right?

20 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

People complain about anything and everything for a lot of largely questionable reasons. I think using the word "hate" is always going to be a bit strong, but an old character sculpt being old and wanting an update makes it no less valid simply because it's a loyalist marine.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Not really an update if they don't exist yet, at least for IW, WB, AL and NL. I think an upgrade sprue like the NL one and a named character would be good for them.

I think this is it, I have a little more sympathy for someone with a 15/20 year old character that the rules and sculptors have left behind, as that's an existing issue. Complaining something doesn't exist so is worse is a little harder to buy into for me, even if valid sometimes.

39 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

...Is the night lord one not out? I thought it was now?...

(Just for the record: no. It's going to initially release as part of the next Kill Team box, and GW haven't shown off the (rumoured) Mandrakes they're paired with, let alone given a release date for the set... so the NL upgrades on their own are probably half a year away...)

I don’t think the various non-cult Legions really need characters as long as the formation options work well at representing their particular specialties. Also, you can always kit bash with HH Legion specific heads, shoulderpads, or even entire models.

The 5ed style of “take Special Character X to unlock army build Y” was one of the few missteps of an otherwise great version of the game. Formations are a much better way of doing it, in my opinion.

Yeah, if the... Codex... CSM Legions get special characters, I'd hope that the kits would be more along the lines of the Dark Angel's Master Lazarus. (Where it makes the character present in the Index - with Bolt Pistol, fancy sword, and its own special rules, seen below in the back - but also has some alternate heads, a Power Fist, and a Bolter for generic Captain builds.)

99120101267_MasterLazarusDetailsExtras.j

I'd definitely rather see an upgrade sprue than a special character, feels like that would be easier for gw now all the characters are plastic anyway.

The Nightlords will be q1 sometime, unless something goes wrong they never preview more than 3 months out, but don't need a preview to release things!

As an Iron Warriors player I am rather content with the Chaos range as it is at the moment, there are details that can be fixed yes, but mostly the range works. Rules wise we are strong and we can play "diffeernt-ish" ways. Some of the units look like crap, and others are a quarter of a decade old, but on the whole the Chaos Space Marine range looks ok. 

Sure we could get new bikes, raptors, and a couple of unnamed character boxes, but compared to other armies "cough cough Votanns, Thousand Sons, Drukhari", Chaos Space marines are in a good place.  I would love upgrade sprues for the undivided legions, but are they essential? Iron Warriors might want some mark III armour variants with bionics, and a terminator Warsmith (I am still dreaming of Iron Warriors with basilisks like in the 3rd edition). The Zealots might want a more Scrolls, books, and some more candles, incense and shoulder pads with writing on them. I am not really sure what Alpha legions needs, a bush to be stealthy in, or some scale armour bits? And we know that Night Lords will get some upgrades in the near future.

What GW should do is take a step back, look at their whole range and see what is old and what armies are in dire need of upgrades. Do loyalist Marine armies really need a new unit or character every second week? YES IT IS HYPERBOLE, AND SADLY I NEED TO POINT IT OUT SO PEOPLE DON'T GET FITS AND WRITE ANOTHER "ACTUALLY...." POST. Are Space Marines chapters so different that they need six codex? I have wanted a single Codex for the divergent chapters since the 3rd edition, and one of my Armies is Space Wolves, and I would not cry or quit the game just because they had to share a book with Blood Angels, and Dark Angels.? 

The "New" half done armies needs extremely more attention, will the army that comes this summer be in the same sad state as Thousand Sons, League of Votann, and World eaters with just a few units, and a boring mono build "Yay for Angron with back up dancers.". 

So I am happy with the leaked Chaos stuff, if GW did their job and expanded all the armies. I can always wish for Chaos Bikes, but do I need with my army tactic? Nopes, I have enough Objective snipers as it is.  :)

Cpt.Danjou

Edited by Cpt.Danjou
Stupid Keyboard!

10 minutes ago, Cpt.Danjou said:

Sure we could get new bikes, raptors, and a couple of unnamed character boxes, but compared to other armies "cough cough Votanns, Thousand Sons, Drukhari", Chaos Space marines are in a good place.

I think I would rather see more Eldar of any stripe than more Votann models. I have been waiting for Warp Spiders for an eternity. Maybe a new Vyper or an updated Falcon/Wave Serpent pilot sprue, I'm getting pretty tired of carving out new fingers for their mitten hands.

@Cpt.Danjou adding onto your point about loyalist divergent chapters, I have always thought that Chaos Marines need to be split into 2 books, one for undivided and undecided, and one for the Cult Legions. This would work especially well with the formation system. Give each Cult Legion a formation that locks you into the relevant mark and gives strong bonuses toward that theme, while having the standard formation be a “Black Crusade” force.

They could then, for example, sell a Cult Terminator set with plague weapons for DG, dual chainfists and eviscerators for World Eaters, :cuss: toys and copies of Fifty Shades for Emperor’s Children, etc. By allowing the Cult Legions to share sets, each would actually have a full range. Instead of what we have now, which is 1 full range Cult Legion, and two vestigial mini-armies.

Edited by Rain

14 minutes ago, Rain said:

@Cpt.Danjou adding onto your point about loyalist divergent chapters, I have always thought that Chaos Marines need to be split into 2 books, one for undivided and undecided, and one for the Cult Legions. This would work especially well with the formation system. Give each Cult Legion a formation that locks you into the relevant mark and gives strong bonuses toward that theme, while having the standard formation be a “Black Crusade” force.

They could then, for example, sell a Cult Terminator set with plague weapons for DG, dual chainfists and eviscerators for World Eaters, :cuss: toys and copies of Fifty Shades for Emperor’s Children, etc. By allowing the Cult Legions to share sets, each would actually have a full range. Instead of what we have now, which is 1 full range Cult Legion, and two vestigial mini-armies.

I would love for them to bring back Cult Terminator upgrades. The sets made by FW for Khornate and Nurgle Terminators were some of the best upgrade kits they made.

We already seem to have BL as the generic CSM core, although it would be super loverly to have another generic CSM "Set 2" with different sclupts (running, kneeling etc), same base unit, same rules, to spice things up to the next level. Then add legion / renegade chapter upgrades ... map of africa!

Night Lords are coming.

Of the originals we need upgrade sprues for Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors, Word Bearers, & Emperor's Children. Each enabling the specific flavours of the legion.

Do that GW & my wallet would open wide!

4 hours ago, MoriyaSchism said:

I would love for them to bring back Cult Terminator upgrades. The sets made by FW for Khornate and Nurgle Terminators were some of the best upgrade kits they made.

100%

Its absolutely painful to me how GW has handled CSM. If we got even 1% of the attention and respect and love that Loyalists get, it would be unreal.

23 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

We already seem to have BL as the generic CSM core, although it would be super loverly to have another generic CSM "Set 2" with different sclupts (running, kneeling etc), same base unit, same rules, to spice things up to the next level. Then add legion / renegade chapter upgrades ... map of africa!

Night Lords are coming.

Of the originals we need upgrade sprues for Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors, Word Bearers, & Emperor's Children. Each enabling the specific flavours of the legion.

Do that GW & my wallet would open wide!

As far as I understood it the Nemesis Claw pack isn't just an upgrade sprue to spruce up your legionnaires but a specific Night Lords unit for bot kill team and 40k.

At least I think I remember them saying it on stream.

I don't think they need to dial back marines so much as realize that chaos is just as important to the setting as they are. The night lords upgrade gives me hope but yeah it's also utterly insane that characters like Talos/Decimus, Kor Phaeron, Erebus, Eidolon etc all are still looming large have had books written about them in cases and who was the latest special character? Some chump we never heard of named Harken who does Abaddon's chores for him. The architects of the heresy don't have 40k models but we got Abaddon's butler. Sweet. 

Also have to wonder when the hell they are gonna get around to a chaos guard codex since we so many kits for it now through kill team.

2 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

As far as I understood it the Nemesis Claw pack isn't just an upgrade sprue to spruce up your legionnaires but a specific Night Lords unit for bot kill team and 40k.

At least I think I remember them saying it on stream.

The kit itself uses the phenomenal Chaos Space Marines as a base and adds an extra-large upgrade sprue full of macabre tchotchkes, from draped skins and trophies to winged helmets and flensing blades. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/18/warhammer-championships-preview-night-lords-put-the-kill-in-kill-team/

Edited by Mogger351

19 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I don't think they need to dial back marines so much as realize that chaos is just as important to the setting as they are. The night lords upgrade gives me hope but yeah it's also utterly insane that characters like Talos/Decimus, Kor Phaeron, Erebus, Eidolon etc all are still looming large have had books written about them in cases and who was the latest special character? Some chump we never heard of named Harken who does Abaddon's chores for him. The architects of the heresy don't have 40k models but we got Abaddon's butler. Sweet. 

That'll be Royalties ...

I have to imagine that once Fulgrim and the Emperor's Children are out in the wild, GW will be turning their focus to how they can release the 'Unaligned' Daemon Primarchs. Such a release would inevitably come with upgrades and perhaps a few other characters (EG Erebus alongside Lorgar). The modern precedent has certainly been set with the Night Lords Kill Team for them to drop more CSM- well, upgrades.

Edited by Lord Marshal