52 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

No because it doesn't look like an early 00's lego kit. The big fat claws and oversized gear joints, the thick spikes on plates, the dopey head on the top. People don't like the defiler because its very clearly old and has low detail alongside being a pain to use due to spider limbs + no base.

They could do infinitely better if they tried again.

I also aren't sure how you like the forgefiend but dislike the maulerfiend, which I assume is purely down to having a fleshy face.

Everything that is different between them is bad on the Forgefiend. It looks like some random toy there were commercials for on kids television in the 90s.

Removing the goofy dinosaur face, and replacing it with a mechanical "Gun-Cerberus" makes a huge difference. The arms on the Maulerfiend just make it looks like it fell down and can't get up. Forgefiend looks like a giant mechanical guard dog.

In general with demon engines, add too much muscle and they start looking trash.

This looks legit daemonic and intimidating. 

99120102089_CSMForgefiend01.jpg?fm=webp&

This looks like it needs to be put down, or given to a loving family to live out the rest of it's short life.

99120102089_CSMForgefiend02.jpg?fm=webp&

Bikes, new lord/sorc in terminator armour are in dire need of new kits. A jump lord is welcome Sure the talons/raptors look awful, but it is still not an old kit. Defilers are meh, and I am on the side that like the look of the dinobots. But what we also need is new kits for Spawns, ugly, expensive when it comes to £/points, and they are also ugly. What we also need are a new kit for obliterators, not because they are ugly or old, but that you get a Hellspawn every time you want to buy them, I don't need to pay up the price for a unit I already have two of, and don't use. The designers of the sprues, might start to keep different units on different sprues. You still get the back half of a Plague marine when you get poxwalkers.

The biggest issues I have with the defiler, except I think it is ugly, are how to transport it, and that does not have a base, which makes it look like a Lego toy. 

99120201050_ChaosSpawn01.jpg?fm=webp&w=6

Cpt.Danjou

17 minutes ago, Cpt.Danjou said:

Bikes, new lord/sorc in terminator armour are in dire need of new kits. A jump lord is welcome Sure the talons/raptors look awful, but it is still not an old kit. Defilers are meh, and I am on the side that like the look of the dinobots. But what we also need is new kits for Spawns, ugly, expensive when it comes to £/points, and they are also ugly. What we also need are a new kit for obliterators, not because they are ugly or old, but that you get a Hellspawn every time you want to buy them, I don't need to pay up the price for a unit I already have two of, and don't use. The designers of the sprues, might start to keep different units on different sprues. You still get the back half of a Plague marine when you get poxwalkers.

The biggest issues I have with the defiler, except I think it is ugly, are how to transport it, and that does not have a base, which makes it look like a Lego toy. 

Cpt.Danjou

Agree on the spawns.

Kit might be customisable, but the old ones were much more scary

877328.JPG

=][= Just a gentle reminder that this thread is for discussion of the rumored forthcoming units.  If you want to debate the comparative merits of Chaos design language through the decades, please head down to the Chaos fora for that.  =][=

42 minutes ago, Newbiticus said:

Any intel on the release date of the codex?  Is “spring” going to be closer to April or June?

I reckon late April/early May. All depends on when Dark Angels drop in Spring as they'll follow closely behind.

4 hours ago, Cpt.Danjou said:

Cpt.Danjou

I will hear nothing against the Chaos Spawn kit. That thing is an absolute blessing for monster parts. I do agree the older metal sculpt is probably a better miniature, but I highly doubt a new spawn kit would have anywhere near as many cool bits and pieces as the current one.

Personally I'm very happy about the prospect of a new JPL, and new bikes would be cool too even if I have a soft spot for the old ones. Honestly, what I'd really like to see is some more upgrade kits ala the Loyalist chapter sprues. Imagine a Word Bearer or Iron Warriors equivalent of the Black Templars upgrades!

I'd also take a proper Chaos Dreadnought but honestly I don't hate the Helbrute. It's a decent looking kit, its greatest crime is not being a proper Castraferrum boxnought, but it's IMO the best looking of the newer daemon engines and at least it's the same size for proxy purposes- something the Redemptor can't claim!

23 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

I reckon late April/early May. All depends on when Dark Angels drop in Spring as they'll follow closely behind.

The order seems like it will be DA, Orks, AC, T'au, CSM. (Spread from March to May.) And then GSC, SoB, and ??? in summer.

Dark Angels seem raring to go - if they hadn't already announced it as a Spring codex, I'd have assumed it'd be out sooner. So... early March, with a substantial number of kits.

Orks and Custodes seem like single-hero drops, maybe paired. Late March/early April?

T'au seem to be getting a substantial release as well, so taking up later April?

One must then consider that there are (apparently) only three codex releases in Summer, which might suggest that C:CSM will be later in May.

(Though I suppose they'd be making room for Age of Sigmar's new edition release.)

So I'd guess May for C:CSM.

On 12/27/2023 at 9:00 PM, mel_danes said:

We need to go back a bit, and get this guy on a sprue.

TS-_-WHI-POWH3527__285-zoomed_1400x.jpg?

This is such an incredibly good piece of art that it's almost criminal they never capitalised on it by making this guy in model form.

what i think they could do with raptors is dual kit with newer thrusters and legs while other hand other half could be more 3rd ed with spindly legs, curved/older thrusters and more animal styled helemts.

Ditch the warp talons and give us duel kit of old/new raptors that you could even mix and match parts if you wanted to

5 hours ago, Jukkiz said:

what i think they could do with raptors is dual kit with newer thrusters and legs while other hand other half could be more 3rd ed with spindly legs, curved/older thrusters and more animal styled helemts.

Ditch the warp talons and give us duel kit of old/new raptors that you could even mix and match parts if you wanted to

Or even have the 3rd ed style be the Raptors part of the kit, and the 6th ed style be the Warp Talons. Would give the two units more visual distinction, as well. 

I’ll be a little sad if the current Terminator Lord/Sorcerer kit does go away. It’s not at all in scale with the current Terminators, of course, but with the right assembly, it’s got a ridiculous amount of character and menace.

1 hour ago, Lexington said:

I’ll be a little sad if the current Terminator Lord/Sorcerer kit does go away. It’s not at all in scale with the current Terminators, of course, but with the right assembly, it’s got a ridiculous amount of character and menace.

While lacking a bit in the customization and kitbashing department, the 2019 Chaos Terminators are great looking models. If a hypothetical new model is styled similarly, and has several options for heads, shoulderpads, and weapons, it should be a great kit.

1 hour ago, Orange Knight said:

Good news. The CSM range is really great now. Just needs a few more unit updates.

Respectfully disagree, there's a big opportunity with chaos to add a decent selection of named characters, not only would it give legions like iron warriors, night lords some identity now that detachments are a thing. But it would make the book less 'codex black legion'.

i think the simplest way to really expand chaos in the vehicle department is a new vehicle upgrade sprue, that's designed to fit the new Horus Heresy tanks.  a bunch of spikes and chains and trophies plastered onto a proteus-pattern land raider would be beautiful.

I would personally want a new bigger helbrute, or at least a walker in the same weight category as a Redemptor dreadnought. (a demonified Leviathan would be gorgeous!) 

But yeah, new raptors and bikes would be lovely.

1 hour ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Until they get a definate refresh/replacement I'm holding off on a Chaos Marine army.

Probably a good thing for now...

Do you want em too though cuase they'll likely have that jagged filigree and random teeth all over in the same places. Buy the heresy vehicles and add spikes and chains and skulls and stuff all over and the 30k decals it's brilliant. If they did restrain themselves and create a deimos or mish mash liek the battle sisters kit with chaos filigree and no teeth that would be great but uh who has time to wait cuase that will likely be a decade from now.

I mean it's starting to look like another 3 years or more just for them to finish redoing the basic units not to mention GW wierd new tendancy to make starter set models without full kits I'm looking at you Obliterators.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

11 hours ago, Scribe said:

I think the amount of disagreement over what the CSM design bible should be, is probably a good sign there is never going to be a sense of satisfaction with the range.

Sounds familiar…

but yes, this is true and comes from the fact different designers across different editions have changed the language a few times, sometimes drastically, and there will always be some people that like one version or another more than others and won’t like a change from the thing they liked.

personally, I think the chaos range is easily the best looking it’s ever been currently