New Hachette Magazine Combat Patrol

1 hour ago, excelite said:

What an interesting coincidence… just a couple days ago my group talked about getting some CP boxes and have a go at smaller scale games

While it is a good deal and very fortunate, remember this will take 80 weeks to finish. So it'll be a good idea for the start of 11th edition.

An interesting thing about this is that GW might be replacing the current combat patrols. Every faction released until now (SM, Tyranids, Admech, Necrons) got a new combat patrol with their book even if they already had one. While it made sense for most of these Admech wasn't really necessary and there are also rumours about a new Dark Angels Combat Patrol so GW might actually replace every CP (or at least most of them) whenever the faction gets their book so they fit their CP gamemode better.

So while this will take until close to 11th to finish, it might be a better deal than expected at first. Currently you will of course compare the price to the current CP prices but by the time these issues come around the respective CP might not exist anymore so no additional CP discount.

Edited by Matrindur

I want it all, I want it all,... but i want it cheap!!!!!

To be fair, actually, I want all but the Votan and possibly the worldeaters. I might cherry pick the nids and marines stuff.

What i really want is multiples of the deff dread and terminators issues plus a few of the out of combat patrol offerings (chaplain on a bike)

I may try for a few issues of this here and there but I really shouldnt. The last 4 editions release boxsets are still mostly on their sprues in my loft along with most of conquest and imperium magazines plus a lot of other stuff.

14 minutes ago, Knightsword said:

As always I'll cherry pick issues from Forbidden Planet, especially the terminator ones. Has there been any mention of release dates for this?

We're likely to see the trial start end of January/beginning of Feb followed by a full scale release end of August...Unless the trial crashes and burns of course.

Also other countries will have a slightly longer wait.

I cancelled my AoS sub....no complaints about the service or content other than I have mentally switched off from AoS and dont see myself going back to it at all.  I love combat patrol content and its a great way for people to have a toe in the water of the various interesting armies....good shout from hachette!  Im not sure now to be honest how much of this set would be on my must have list...ill give it some thought.

Edited by beefeb

16 hours ago, Craig said:

Looks like some of these vary from the CURRENT combat patrols. There's a maulerfiend, squigbuggy and autarch that I can make out that aren't in the respective combat patrol boxes.

Added that in there - the combat patrols are likely to change with codex releases and these actually may reflect the new ones. 

18 hours ago, Rzeźbiarz said:

That collection is more targeted to new players.

This is exactly who this magazine is targeted at, always has been :biggrin:

37 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Added that in there - the combat patrols are likely to change with codex releases and these actually may reflect the new ones. 

This is exactly who this magazine is targeted at, always has been :biggrin:

To clarify, they point out in the fauxhammer article that it's a combat patrol plus one unit (two if you go premium) so it's not likely to be indicative of any planned changes to combat patrols...otherwise we'd already see the Chaplain on bike in one. I think the idea is to present the combat patrol as not only a force in of itself, but as the basis of a larger army with the other unit added in...but I think that's going to massively vary between forces giving different points costs.

Really keen for this initially, as I regret not subscribing to previous 40K partworks, but in reality, I already have the Space Marine and Tyranid Combat Patrols, and am looking to buy the Aeldari one at some point this month, so I don't think I'm that interested in the rest sadly. I'd end up selling most of the sprues on. 

I may sub for the first 5 issues to get the freebies and exclusive model however. 

A great series for new players though!

If the intent is for new players, adding a third character to the Marine combat patrol feels a strange choice, that's the last thing they need. The 3 easy built outriders, or even (as mocked as it is) the ATV would give them some manoeuvrability, or one of the ETB infantry kits (or even a 5 man squad of something) would be more use.

Edit - I realise the Chaplain is on a bike and so is manoeuvrability, but with a Captain and a Librarian already, it feels excessive.

Edited by Cleon

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

If the intent is for new players, adding a third character to the Marine combat patrol feels a strange choice, that's the last thing they need. The 3 easy built outriders, or even (as mocked as it is) the ATV would give them some manoeuvrability, or one of the ETB infantry kits (or even a 5 man squad of something) would be more use.

Edit - I realise the Chaplain is on a bike and so is manoeuvrability, but with a Captain and a Librarian already, it feels excessive.

I mean, I'm happy they didnt as I'd much prefer to get the chaplain on a bike as I already have the others from previous hachette offerings - could be that this is in part the strategy here - it is new to them vs something they have previously included.

4 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

I should think at this stage with 3 (or is it 4?) Warhammer/40k collections under their belt, a trial wouldn't be necessary and they could just get to it.

4 Warhammer collections so far. Conquest and Imperium for 40k, Mortal Realms & Stormbringer for AoS.

I’m still optimistic of a 30k version (and an Old World version maybe?) at some point in the future but I don’t think it’s very likely.

1 minute ago, Sky Potato said:

4 Warhammer collections so far. Conquest and Imperium for 40k, Mortal Realms & Stormbringer for AoS.

I’m still optimistic of a 30k version (and an Old World version maybe?) at some point in the future but I don’t think it’s very likely.

Faor years I've been saying to my friends they should be doing a Heresy one, BUT every delivery (so each four issues) has a single piece / small sprue for a model of The Big E. It would bolster subscriptions as it would only come with the deliveries, not the issues.

I wonder if that is because HH is perceived as being targeted at an older audience than 40K?

Also there is a smaller range of kits since HH focusses mostly on Marines. Once you have covered the basic infantry squads and a handful of characters, you are then looking either at resin or much larger vehicle kits which might not suite Hatchette so much.

Edited by Karhedron

Well hopefully this doesn't hit the States until '25. I'm guessing that is the plan as we were a bit around a year behind in Imperium.

This set is tailor fit to my back burner project of doing 1K forces of each faction based around their CP

I was thinking they could do a 18-20 month run, with each month (4issues) focusing on a single legion's lore, the type of stuff from the black books. The extra months could cover Custodes, Auxilla and AdMech.  GW has 56 listings for "plastic" under Heresy, working from the Age of Darkness Starter and MKIII Battle Group as a base, there's plenty of range to get a ~20 month run in that isn't all tanks.

6 minutes ago, Grotsmasha said:

I was thinking they could do a 18-20 month run, with each month (4issues) focusing on a single legion's lore, the type of stuff from the black books. The extra months could cover Custodes, Auxilla and AdMech.  GW has 56 listings for "plastic" under Heresy, working from the Age of Darkness Starter and MKIII Battle Group as a base, there's plenty of range to get a ~20 month run in that isn't all tanks.

1 set of mk6, 1 set of mk3, 1 set of assault squad and that's it? Rest is tanks. Oh and a couple of characters sorry.

You might want to check that 54, given it includes all the knights (Including some FW ones)  all the assassins and all the talons multiple times...