New Hachette Magazine Combat Patrol

I popped in on my local Newsagent tonight and there was no sign of it (they have Stormbringer on the shelf and previously has Imperium). I guess it could have come, been and gone.

I don't remember seeing any of the previous trial runs in my local shops. I've only seen them when the full release comes out and there was always loads of the first few issues on the shelves.

No sign of the trial in my area, we did get the first trial of Stormbringer last year here. Was hoping for that again. Don't necessarily want the first issue but the Leapers...

On 1/13/2024 at 4:57 AM, OttoVonAwesome said:

I'm insanely bitter this never came to Canada. 

I’d refer you to my previous post but not sure how. You can still sub for the french version if you want.

It actually just started in quebec in french language. If you just want the models and/or read french looks like you can sub here: https://www.hachette-collections.com/fr-ca/collection-warhammer-imperium/

for english you had to sub with the american distributor and they would ship to canada, but it is no longer available to sign up

27 minutes ago, Arikel said:

I’d refer you to my previous post but not sure how.

If you click on the . . . at the top right of a post, then click on 'share' you get a URL for that post and can copypaste it like this.

Edited by Cactus

On 1/12/2024 at 6:18 PM, Dark Shepherd said:

And weve been sitting here like idiots waffling :)

Via Fauxhammer:

"UPDATE 12-01-2024: Combat Patrol will be running to 90 issues. The values throughout this article have been changed to reflect this."

21% saving on buying the Combat Patrols plus bonus character/unit from GW before paints plus freebies

21% cheaper than GW... so similar overall to buying from an 3rd party reseller.
Takes the shine of a bit from collecting as much from this. I expect the paints are the part that has got worse on the savings the most though.
Still good for gap filling possibly missing units or generally adding more squads but I'd be more tempted to just buy a given combat patrol than fiddle around trying to get each issue or actually subscribing.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:18 PM, Dark Shepherd said:

And weve been sitting here like idiots waffling :)

Via Fauxhammer:

"UPDATE 12-01-2024: Combat Patrol will be running to 90 issues. The values throughout this article have been changed to reflect this."

21% saving on buying the Combat Patrols plus bonus character/unit from GW before paints plus freebies

Well, that's both disappointing and helpful at the same time. 

Now I know that aside from one or two issues I just won't bother picking things up.

I was planning on waiting for the Aeldari Combat Patrol, but now I'll just buy it from a retailer and have it sooner rather than waiting!

6 hours ago, RWJP said:

Well, that's both disappointing and helpful at the same time. 

Now I know that aside from one or two issues I just won't bother picking things up.

I was planning on waiting for the Aeldari Combat Patrol, but now I'll just buy it from a retailer and have it sooner rather than waiting!

It'll vary from army to army, but some units will be dirt cheap via the magazine to justify the issues without subscribing to the whole thing. Largely if that's your concern you're probably correct, but buy the autarch via the magazine to get it half price in essence.

51 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

It'll vary from army to army, but some units will be dirt cheap via the magazine to justify the issues without subscribing to the whole thing. Largely if that's your concern you're probably correct, but buy the autarch via the magazine to get it half price in essence.

Pretty much everything you get with the mag will be cheaper than buying normally. Problem is getting hold of individual issues will be very difficult after the initial release. Only way is online and they sell out fast, especially the more popular ones.

There are a couple of things that will be my main focus
Deff dread(s)

Deff koptas

warboss 

Chaplain on a bike

Terminators (always more terminators!)

But whether I get any of the above is another matter - I expect they will be particularly popular ones with a lot of people. Plus paying for delivery on issues will cut into any savings (I know FP have a cap but that isnt so much help if we dont know the issues and they only release them in stages anyway)

What this may do though is give me another incentive to not spend on other stuff for some time as I stand a chance of getting these cheaper later on so will wait for these, save and get on with other projects 

1 hour ago, lhg033 said:

There are a couple of things that will be my main focus
Deff dread(s)

Deff koptas

warboss 

Chaplain on a bike

Terminators (always more terminators!)

But whether I get any of the above is another matter - I expect they will be particularly popular ones with a lot of people. Plus paying for delivery on issues will cut into any savings (I know FP have a cap but that isnt so much help if we dont know the issues and they only release them in stages anyway)

What this may do though is give me another incentive to not spend on other stuff for some time as I stand a chance of getting these cheaper later on so will wait for these, save and get on with other projects 

If the models are complete in a single issue (edit: probably even over two for plenty of things) then even with postage you'll get better than LFGS prices, I think. Once this kicks off properly I think that FP are going to be a daily-check for me!

Edited by pawl

I'd already come to the conclusion that I was probably better off just buying the actual Combat Patrol boxes I want, but them spreading the savings over an extra 10 issues confirms it. I'll still be watching with interest for individual issues though. 

This may sound like a daft question, but are they going to release the patrols to completion before starting the next one? 

Given the subscription method, they could give you the first unit at issue 5 and the last at 85. 

12 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

This may sound like a daft question, but are they going to release the patrols to completion before starting the next one? 

Given the subscription method, they could give you the first unit at issue 5 and the last at 85. 

From the little I've read, it seems like they'll be chopping and changing between factions, which is good business sense, but not helpful for people wanting to paint things.

32 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

Given the premium subscriber additions, it's likely that that they'll be doing 2 at a time and switching between the two factions. So the first 20 or so issues will be space marines and nids, next csm and eldar and so on. 

47 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

from all of the previous hachette subs I can advise that they split unbits across several issues, and the bigger multi sprue individual models, like Guilliman across more than 1 issue.

The value saving has def reduced since the first run collection....conquest, and this looks the worst so far to me from my own personal desires.  

To those customers who expect to pick up individual issues to pick up certain better value things.....be sure to order them in advance as much as possible, because they sell like hotcakes through a number of online sites.  I regularly found that by the time they announced what particular models were coming in any given issue, those issues were preordered and totally sold out before i got to them....not just on hachettes site, but also through retailers such as forbidden planet, and my local newsagent had no luck obtaining any copies at all.  I heard that people were bulk preordering issues from retailers, then cancelling their orders when the issue contents were announced to be the issues containing paints or poorer value models....not a practice i ever did, but i do know of several people who used this method.

5 minutes ago, beefeb said:

from all of the previous hachette subs I can advise that they split unbits across several issues, and the bigger multi sprue individual models, like Guilliman across more than 1 issue.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, I'm asking if they will finish CP: Space Marines in full before moving on to CP: Tyranids in full before moving on to CP: Chaos in full etc.

I hope @irlLordy is more correct than @Xenith!

8 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

Yeah, I'm aware of that, I'm asking if they will finish CP: Space Marines in full before moving on to CP: Tyranids in full before moving on to CP: Chaos in full etc.

They made a point of saying by Issue 20, you will have at least one full Combat Patrol.

They've stated there's 9 Combat Patrols and it's a 90 Issue run, from that you can infer that they will be running at least two at the same time, possibly more.

52 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

From all of their previous issues no.....when there were multiple factions in imperium....sisters, marines, and admech they were scatter gunned everywhere.  the units themselves were split across multiple issues, as were the factions, so as a made up illustrativeexample issue 50 would be half a skitari box, the 51 was a sisters character, then 52 was a space marine character, 53 was a couple of pots of paint, 54 would be a necron and then 55 you get the rest of the skitari unit.    The exact issue by issue breakdown used to be on fauxhammer...if you can find them through all of the advertising popups!

They do this as a marketing tool to get people to sub so they dont miss anything, and they inevitably put the fillers inbetween good stuff.  This has been the same across all of the warhammer runs so far so i see no reason why they would change an obviously successful business model.

In terms of using whats contained in the premium sub as an indication of whats being covered in the standard, I have not found this at all.  In the middle of the stormcast run of issues for example, the premium drop was the troggoth character...so no correlation at all.

Edited by beefeb