New Hachette Magazine Combat Patrol

41 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

1 set of mk6, 1 set of mk3, 1 set of assault squad and that's it? Rest is tanks. Oh and a couple of characters sorry.

There's Tartaros Termis, Cataphractii Termis, (*technically* Indomitus is fair game too), there's Contemptors, Deredeos, Leviathans

Lets average 5 models an per issue (also not in this order)

1 month mkIII (20)

1 month mkVI (20)

1 month mkVI Assault (10), Legion Praetors (2)

1 month (10 mkIII marines, 1 Special Weapon upgrade sprue, 1 Heavy Weapon upgrade sprue)

1 month (10 mkVI Marines, 1 Special Weapon upgrade sprue, 1 Heavy Weapon upgrade sprue)

1 month Tartaros (10) (2 sprues per 5)

1 month Cataphractii (10) (2 sprues per 5)

1 month Sky Hunters (3)

1 month (1 Contemptors, 2 weapon sprue)

1 month (1 Leviathan, 1 weapon sprue)

1 month (1 Deredeo)

1 month (1 Deredeo)

1 month Custodes Wardens (5), Custodes Guardians (5), SoS Vigilators (5), SoS Prosecutors

That's  13  15 months and no tanks (14 if you drop the Custodes and SoS). By my count there's 12 plastic Heresy tanks, so while we'd be looking at 5-6 tanks, assuming no further plastic kits, like breachers come out in the mean time. It is tank heavier than previous collections, but it's not as bad as there only be *3* kits.

EDIT: BIG FAIL, I didn't even put Terminators in the first go around...

Edited by Grotsmasha

Fauxhammer have put up another article, the issue 1-80 contents list and while is very bare bones, it does contain a points breakdown for the included figures...with a link to a non-existent article.

The points breakdowns are as follows:

Space Marines - 515pts

Astra Millitarum - 405pts

Chaos Space Marines - 610pts

World Eaters - 725pts

Tyranids - 525pts

League of Votann - 540pts

Orks- 570pts

Aeldari- 585pts

Genestealer Cults- 745pts

Remember, this is combat patrol + bonus unit. That being said, good grief, I didn't realise that the Astra Millitarum set was so low on points!

8 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I wonder if that is because HH is perceived as being targeted at an older audience than 40K?

Also there is a smaller range of kits since HH focusses mostly on Marines. Once you have covered the basic infantry squads and a handful of characters, you are then looking either at resin or much larger vehicle kits which might not suite Hatchette so much.

I reckon a HH based series would work precisely because it’s marine centric.  Since the Hachette pattern is alternating W40K and fantasy, we would be several years away from the next 30/40K series after combat patrol, giving GW plenty of time to fill out the HH range and/or port over their resin models to plastic to fill it out.

15 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

There's Tartaros Termis, Cataphractii Termis, (*technically* Indomitus is fair game too), there's Contemptors, Deredeos, Leviathans

Lets average 5 models an per issue (also not in this order)

1 month mkIII (20)

1 month mkVI (20)

1 month mkVI Assault (10), Legion Praetors (2)

1 month (10 mkIII marines, 1 Special Weapon upgrade sprue, 1 Heavy Weapon upgrade sprue)

1 month (10 mkVI Marines, 1 Special Weapon upgrade sprue, 1 Heavy Weapon upgrade sprue)

1 month Tartaros (10) (2 sprues per 5)

1 month Cataphractii (10) (2 sprues per 5)

1 month Sky Hunters (3)

1 month (1 Deredeo)

1 month (1 Deredeo)

1 month Custodes Wardens (5), Custodes Guardians (5), SoS Vigilators (5), SoS Prosecutors

That's  13  15 months and no tanks (14 if you drop the Custodes and SoS). By my count there's 12 plastic Heresy tanks, so while we'd be looking at 5-6 tanks, assuming no further plastic kits, like breachers come out in the mean time. It is tank heavier than previous collections, but it's not as bad as there only be *3* kits.

EDIT: BIG FAIL, I didn't even put Terminators in the first go around...

Well, I said tank but I was thinking vehicle so I was excluding the dreads but the biggest issue with that is it's hard to hype the 4th week of "oh here's another 5 guys with the exact same options" Which then may or may not be followed by a 5th week of them just to deliver a special weapon squad. Horus heresy as a partworks would be visually boring imo as you're trickled handfuls of marines week after week only to find out you're supposed to have another 40-60 of nearly the same over the course of the subscription. The previous ones and combat patrol look like they'll work well because they're very well self contained as one force vs another and visually distinct with all different shapes, sizes and aesthetics.

So I doubt we'll see a HH version for that reason, it's visually boring to the reader and largely aimed at older 40k fans who are deep into the fluff more than anything. That's ignoring that Combat Patrol is well situated to be plays on small surfaces with rules that facilitate being explained and played via magazine sized chunks. HH has dozens of USR's needs a 6x4 full of terrain and is meant to be played at 3k rather than 500 points, so this is just an infinitely easier sell.

On 1/1/2024 at 6:12 PM, No Foes Remain said:

If anyone is having issues with fauxhammer's site, just enable reader view on your browser. Makes it much easier and less offensive on the eyes.

Another suggestion is to install AdBlock. I have this on my phone, iPad and on Chrome on my PC, and it has made the internet a far far calmer place. After installation it asks you to donate but you don’t need to, just close the window. Best thing I ever installed on any device.

So, the question is, how to sign up for this? I didn’t know Imperium existed until it was way too late.

And is it one issue per week? If so, that’s tough… 40 quid a month is a lot for a magazine sub (although I’d be selling a lot of the stuff to make the money back).

6 minutes ago, TheArtilleryman said:

So, the question is, how to sign up for this? I didn’t know Imperium existed until it was way too late.

And is it one issue per week? If so, that’s tough… 40 quid a month is a lot for a magazine sub (although I’d be selling a lot of the stuff to make the money back).

Think you sign up on the site but its only available in a specific region of the UK and not a big one at that, IIRC previous trials were Leeds and Hampshire?

Youd think theyd know by now that like all 41st Millenium trials the result is predetermined :)

9 minutes ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Think you sign up on the site but its only available in a specific region of the UK and not a big one at that, IIRC previous trials were Leeds and Hampshire?

Youd think theyd know by now that like all 41st Millenium trials the result is predetermined :)

Can’t even see it on the Hachette site, only Imperium …

The next big thing for Warhammer 40,000 is only a few weeks away! Read on for our exclusive announcement of the latest partworks collection from Hachette!

Right, so there is something we need to get out of the way before we all get too excited. In its current form, Warhammer 40,000: Combat Patrol is not a full collection. What we are announcing today is a trial run, which Hachette will use to gauge interest in a magazine collection like this and see if it’s worth their time doing a full run.

Given the staggering success of Imperium, it’s very unlikely that this won’t be launched into a full collection later in the year.

The trial hasn't begun so there'll be nothing on the Hachette site yet.

Edited by Cactus

There was a trial in North Yorkshire but that may have been for one of the AoS magazines. I remember seeing loads of them in WH Smiths in Richmond long before the magazine actually released.

Yes, these subscriptions are 1 magazine a week. You get a delivery of 4 magazines at a time, and generally those deliveries consisted of 1 paint magazine (3 pots of paint with the magazine) and 3 model magazines (either one terrain and two model sprues, or 3 model sprues). The first few issues include some pretty good units and models to get you hooked, and issue 5 in all four of the magazine runs they’ve done so far has been the magazine exclusive special model.

The magazine is actually of a pretty good standard as well, there’s loads of lore split into various factions, building instructions, painting guides, the rules for the game and all the factions and minis that are part of the collection, and a playing tutorial and guide. Once the game tutorial is complete in about issue 20 or 30, there’s basically a whole campaign that grows with the collection, giving you various missions, scenarios and so on.. It’s not a complete replacement for the big rule book and codexes, but it’s definitely substantial enough that you don’t need to buy any other books to play with what you got.

I never looked at it as £7.99 or £8.99 a magazine - I just saw a £36 or so direct debit and I got a hobby selection box every 4 weeks.

I still think I’m going to skip on this one though. I’ve already got enough of each of the factions I want that are featured in the new magazine, and adding a Combat Patrol isn’t as good a deal to me as adding the depth that was in the previous mags.

9 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

What is the availability outside of UK?

NIL for the trial, full release will probably resemble Imperium's availability internationally.

1 hour ago, TheArtilleryman said:

Can’t even see it on the Hachette site, only Imperium …

A Web search revealed this: https://hachettepartworks.com/en-en/warhammer-40000-combat-patrol/

It appears you can subscribe from here (in the UK only at present) :smile:

54 minutes ago, Grotsmasha said:

NIL for the trial, full release will probably resemble Imperium's availability internationally.

Was UK only to buy individual issues from Hachette which was a bummer

Screenshot_20240103_123519_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Dark Shepherd

So again, I'm going to say that in my opinion, every single time a Heresy era anything occurs, it erodes GW's dark future setting.

If you want an HH part works series IN ADDITION to a 40k one, I will back that play.

If you want an HH partworks INSTEAD of a 40k one, I will remind you that you are actively endorsing an idea that will make the hobby worse for all the people who don't play marines. 

Heck, you could even just replace the marine models in a 40k sub with 30k models instead, but leave the other factions alone- I'd get behind that too.

But the sooner this crap about having two big game systems that completely exclude most of the factions from GW's future setting ends, the better. And I don't mean ending HH or LI- I mean expanding them so that people who are interested in other factions can play them. I'm not even asking for it all at once- add a faction each edition. HH 3.0 and LI 2.0 get Orks. HH 4.0 and LI 3.0 get Eldar.

Tau, Nids and Sisters are harder, because the Heresy stories have to advance beyond the Heresy era for those factions to show up, but both Orks and Eldar existed during the Heresy; I think the Votann did as well.

But put simply, my attitude is that the existence of any Heresy Era system makes the NPC/ second class nature of Xenos factions more of a problem for the playerbase as a whole.

8 minutes ago, infyrana said:

Did I read that right, 20 issues per patrol?  Was Angron and 40 zerkers included for WE or something?  Wondering how they work that :)

I assume that means that the collection isn't going to start with 1 Combat Patrol, finish it off and start the next. It means by Issue 20, you will have at least one full combat patrol.

The collection is usually between 80-90 issues, so 10 per patrol will probably be in the ball park.

24 minutes ago, Grotsmasha said:

I assume that means that the collection isn't going to start with 1 Combat Patrol, finish it off and start the next. It means by Issue 20, you will have at least one full combat patrol.

The collection is usually between 80-90 issues, so 10 per patrol will probably be in the ball park.

Has to be a typo but yeah Id doubt theyd do the factions sequentially

48 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

If you want an HH partworks INSTEAD of a 40k one, I will remind you that you are actively endorsing an idea that will make the hobby worse for all the people who don't play marines. 

Heck, you could even just replace the marine models in a 40k sub with 30k models instead, but leave the other factions alone- I'd get behind that too.

Don't forget that by the next 40k universe partworks, we'll have another full plastic army for HH (Auxilia) meaning heresy has many plastic options for Loyal/traitor; auxilia; custodes (+/- talons); skitarii; daemons.

Loyal Auxilia+Custodes vs Traitor Marines + Daemons might be a good fit. 

Personally, I'd rather have a necromunda themed mag with lots of terrain!  

2 hours ago, firestorm40k said:

A Web search revealed this: https://hachettepartworks.com/en-en/warhammer-40000-combat-patrol/

It appears you can subscribe from here (in the UK only at present) :smile:

Thanks for the link. I couldn’t find this anywhere.

It’s a very attractive idea, but the more I think about it, 50 quid a month (for premium) is a lot to lay down as a continuous bill. It’s having an issue every single week that makes it expensive.

Looking at the list of models I have on my wish list, which is basically all stuff that doesn’t come in a combat patrol, I would probably be better off buying myself one unit per month that I actually want. Cheaper too. I could sub and sell the minis to fund the hobby, but it would be a lot of hassle and probably not as profitable as it should be.

A pass, sadly.