New Hachette Magazine Combat Patrol

Do we have any intel on when the trial will begin, and where in the UK it might be?

Useful to know when and where they start to appear in shops. I think Fauxhammer implies they'll be out in Jan, so anyone who sees one please let us know.

19 hours ago, TheArtilleryman said:

Looking at the list of models I have on my wish list, which is basically all stuff that doesn’t come in a combat patrol, I would probably be better off buying myself one unit per month that I actually want. Cheaper too.

Probably true but you will be competing for those issues with other people with the same idea. I know with Imperium that certain issues sold out very quickly.

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

Probably true but you will be competing for those issues with other people with the same idea. I know with Imperium that certain issues sold out very quickly.

Yeah I mean just buying one item per month from GW or whatever, not one issue per month, because after deeper looking I don’t think I want the stuff in the magazine.

20 hours ago, ZeroWolf said:

Total Savings £343.30    

Percentage Saved 30%

Not actually that much more than standard 3rd party discount? Though those dropped recently and the days of the common 25% seem gone, in favout of 15%, 20 if you're lucky. As usual, the best way would be to cherry pick sets to get the best value, and naturally don't buy stuff you dont want or need just because it's cheap.

Edited by Xenith

12 minutes ago, Xenith said:

No not actually that much more than standard 3rd party discount? Though those dropped recently and the days of the common 25% seem gone, in favout of 15%, 20 if you're lucky. As usual, the best way would be to cherry pick sets to get the best value, and naturally don't buy stuff you dont want or need just because it's cheap.

It's also ignoring paints and brushes etc. to those saying they'd rather buy the kits individually that's great unless what you want exists somewhere in this partworks then buying individual issues is going to save you money. If you have no want for any of them, then don't buy them, no real reason to weigh it up.

52 minutes ago, Hfran Morkai said:

Any ideas how it's likely to break down the Cadian Shock Troops for example?

Two sprues from what I've seen so two issues?

Split across 2 issues (so £19.98) is what I presume will happen; that's how the 2-sprue, 10-man Necron Warrior kits were treated in Imperium and that seems to be the closest comparison*.

If you presume the Guard portion would be 1 issue for the Command Squad, 2 issues each for the Infantry Squads, 1 Issue for the Ordnance and 1 Issue for the Sentinel, and 1 for the Commissar that's 8 issues total for £79.92 which puts it in the right savings ballpark (32% off the RRP of a Combat Patrol box and the Commissar)

*Stormbringer has had a few 2-sprue, 10-model units on a single issue but I think Necrons is a more likely basis for the pricing.

Edited by Halandaar

1 hour ago, Xenith said:

No not actually that much more than standard 3rd party discount? Though those dropped recently and the days of the common 25% seem gone, in favout of 15%, 20 if you're lucky. As usual, the best way would be to cherry pick sets to get the best value, and naturally don't buy stuff you dont want or need just because it's cheap.

As someone else pointed out, if you factor in the likely GW price rises (inevitable at some point over the duration the magazine will run), the savings could actually be greater in the end :smile:

1 minute ago, firestorm40k said:

As someone else pointed out, if you factor in the likely GW price rises (inevitable at some point over the duration the magazine will run), the savings could actually be greater in the end :smile:

Absolutely. Most FLGS discounts top out at 20% off these days; 30% off via the mag is already quite a bit better and that's based on today's RRPs - it's safe to presume some/all of these sets will have their RRP go up in March/April this year as is traditional, and then again in March/April 2025. 

1 hour ago, Hfran Morkai said:

Any ideas how it's likely to break down the Cadian Shock Troops for example?

Two sprues from what I've seen so two issues?

My guess would be at least 5, maybe 6. 5 if they put 2 support batteries in 1, 6 if they don’t.

1 x infantry squad

1 x infantry squad

1 x support battery

1 x support battery

1 x sentinel

1 x command squad

Edit: just realised you probably meant the two squads, not the whole patrol :facepalm:

Edited by TheArtilleryman

31 minutes ago, TheArtilleryman said:

My guess would be at least 5, maybe 6. 5 if they put 2 support batteries in 1, 6 if they don’t.

1 x infantry squad

1 x infantry squad

1 x support battery

1 x support battery

1 x sentinel

1 x command squad

Edit: just realised you probably meant the two squads, not the whole patrol :facepalm:

The Field Ordnance Battery kit is split in such a way that you need both sprues to build them (one sprue has the carriages and crew, the other has all the weapons) - you can't build a complete model from a single sprue. That doesn't mean they won't split the kit, but in the past Hachette has erred on the side of letting you build at least one model from the contents of each issue wherever possible, so I'm inclined to think the whole Field Ordnance kit would be on a single issue.

Conversely, the Infantry Squad is exactly the sort of thing they would split because even with only half a kit you can still assemble 4-6 troopers depending on which frame you get first; they did this with both the Necron Warriors and AdMech Skitarii in Imperium.

2 hours ago, firestorm40k said:

Only thing is, hachette also increase prices across subs, though only once has it affected me.

28 minutes ago, beefeb said:

Only thing is, hachette also increase prices across subs, though only once has it affected me.

Yeah, that's a weird thing as I heard recently that Stormbringer raised the price (by a £1 per issue I think?) But Imperium never raised its price at all throughout its run and that was over two price increases (though the 2023 one really only affected the last 10 issues, so they may have said sod it and ate the cost)

Also Fauxhammer have released a detailed breakdown for the points cost of the included non-premimum figures in the collection.

https://www.fauxhammer.com/news/warhammer-40000-combat-patrol-army-points-breakdown/

I shared the totals a few pages ago but to sum it up, Genestealer and World Eaters come up tops (745pts and 725pts respectively) while Astra Millitarum comes dead last (405 pts)

3 hours ago, Halandaar said:

The Field Ordnance Battery kit is split in such a way that you need both sprues to build them (one sprue has the carriages and crew, the other has all the weapons) - you can't build a complete model from a single sprue. That doesn't mean they won't split the kit, but in the past Hachette has erred on the side of letting you build at least one model from the contents of each issue wherever possible, so I'm inclined to think the whole Field Ordnance kit would be on a single issue.

I think Hachette are more inclined to ensure you can make the whole model over one delivery, rather than over one issue.

Dreadnoughts, Repulsors and potentially some of the terrain pieces were split over multiple issues but were grouped so that they would be complete inside one subscription delivery of 4 issues.

1 hour ago, beefeb said:

1 hour ago, ZeroWolf said:

Yeah, that's a weird thing as I heard recently that Stormbringer raised the price (by a £1 per issue I think?) But Imperium never raised its price at all throughout its run and that was over two price increases (though the 2023 one really only affected the last 10 issues, so they may have said sod it and ate the cost)

Conquest, Mortal Realms and Imperium all stayed at their initial price for the entire run; Stormbringer is the first time they've changed the price partway through. They cited transport costs (Royal Mail did increase their business delivery rates in October) and raw material costs; potentially that could include the cost of minis to pack in the magazines but you'd think GW would have those prices locked in at the beginning of the agreement, rather than it being a manufacturer/retailer relationship subject to changes in trade price of the boxes kits.

18 hours ago, Mechanicus Tech-Support said:

Wait what?! Imperium was available in Canada...damn I had no idea >_< well missed that boat 

It actually just started in quebec in french language. If you just want the models and/or read french looks like you can sub here: https://www.hachette-collections.com/fr-ca/collection-warhammer-imperium/

for english you had to sub with the american distributor and they would ship to canada, but it is no longer available to sign up

1 hour ago, Sky Potato said:

I think Hachette are more inclined to ensure you can make the whole model over one delivery, rather than over one issue.

Dreadnoughts, Repulsors and potentially some of the terrain pieces were split over multiple issues but were grouped so that they would be complete inside one subscription delivery of 4 issues.

It certainly has been the case that split units are contained within single 4-issue batches, but not everybody gets their copies from Hachette in batches; people who subscribe at newsagents get one copy a week and as such it seems like the split kits (excepting the single model examples you gave) are arranged in such a way that you can at least build one of the models from the unit with the first sprue, presumably to avoid the feeling that the issue is useless in its own right.

See Marneus Calgar in Imperium; his kit is 2 sprues which they delivered across 2 issues. They could have given the Calgar sprue first which would leave you with a headless model waiting for the next week to complete. As it was, they sent the other sprue first so you could build the two Victrix Guard.

Anyway, I suppose my point here is that I feel Hachette are more likely to split the infantry squads than the support battery, because half a Shock Troopers kit still builds you 4+ complete Guardsmen, whereas half an ordnance battery kit builds you nothing.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:31 AM, Aramis K said:

Do we have any intel on when the trial will begin, and where in the UK it might be?

Useful to know when and where they start to appear in shops. I think Fauxhammer implies they'll be out in Jan, so anyone who sees one please let us know.

Yesterday!

From the FAQ at the Combat Patrol site

"Issue 1 will be available to buy in UK stores on 10th January. Issue 2 will be available on 24th January. Issue 3 will be available on 31st January. Issue 4 will be available on 7th February."

19 hours ago, Tastyfish said:

Yesterday!

From the FAQ at the Combat Patrol site

"Issue 1 will be available to buy in UK stores on 10th January. Issue 2 will be available on 24th January. Issue 3 will be available on 31st January. Issue 4 will be available on 7th February."

Deploy the scouts

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

10th of January? It was out 2 days ago? :eek:

And weve been sitting here like idiots waffling :)

Via Fauxhammer:

"UPDATE 12-01-2024: Combat Patrol will be running to 90 issues. The values throughout this article have been changed to reflect this."

21% saving on buying the Combat Patrols plus bonus character/unit from GW before paints plus freebies

Edited by Dark Shepherd

has anyone seen it anywhere? had a look in my local on way home but no sign, it still had the fantasy mag... nothing on their website that i can see of it either as was looking confirmation of whats in it and price... if its the termy and prime i need like 3... (im building shrikes even if they arnt an option...)

Edited by Brother Nathan

Just now, Brother Nathan said:

has anyone seen it anywhere? had a look in my local on way home but no sign, it still had the fantasy mag... npothing on their websit ethat i can see of it either as was looking confirmation of whats in it and price... if its the termy and prime i need like 3... (im building shrikes even if they arnt an option...)

At that price swap the wings out and they're just super cheap warriors