Las Vegas Open Preview Stream - January 18th/19th

8 minutes ago, Astartes Consul said:

Hey, imagine if it’s an all resin range refresh. 

I'm honestly expecting the malcador to be rereleased in plastic. Might be a good combo kit for the rumored Krieg as well.

4 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

I could see Tartaros getting redone, as Cataphractii is in the Age of Darkness box. They'll probably keep Cataphractii as is until they retire that. I'd love to see a heresy Indomitus pattern kit, but I don't think we're there yet.

Hmm, if I remember correctly, Tartaros are noticeably shorter than the other Terminators, so maybe.

3 hours ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

To put things into perspective, last year we got:

40k:

Strike force Agustus (Brutalis Dread, Liuetenant, Desolation marines)

Wrath of the Soul Forge King (Vashtorr and DA Character (crumbs, how are we still doing DA stuff a full year later?)

Killteam Soulshackle (Dark Eldar, Arbites)

HH (Cerebus)

Warcry Blood Hunt (Vampire Samurai, Flesh Hound mortals)

Underworld Team (Daughters of Khaine)

Seraphon Launch box (Saurus, Skink riders and a Slaan)

That's quite a lot of stuff in the preview period.

I think it's fair to say that we'll see comparable for Underworlds, Warcry and Killteam with their boxsets.

Heresy I'd imagine gets the first 3 units for SA shown off.

40k gets Custodes Character + Ork Character shown off then maybe the first 3 Kroot units (assuming there's more?)

Based off the above, and where we are in a new 40k edition:

40k - 1 new character (e.g. Custodes and Orks) or unit (e.g. Kroot riders) for the next three upcoming codexes.

Killteam - The next killteam release.

HH - Solar Auxilia plastic kits i.e. wave 1 releases.

Underworld - The next Underworld release.

AoS - Model(s) related to the last Dawnbringer book.

Old World - either a silhouette preview of the next army (Elves? Dwarfs?) or a model preview of some additional Bretonnian and/or Khemri heroes.

26 minutes ago, Astartes Consul said:

Hey, imagine if it’s an all resin range refresh. 

Then they'd need to also reveal another plastic "mystery army release" quite soon as they will eventually run out of winter ;)

That said.. I do think people expect way too much plastic here, the expectations seem to be it will be treated like SoB in 40k. But since its an horus heresy/FW release I think the better comparison would be at most spacemarines in horus heresy.. with a little bit less because they arent spacemarines, and spacemarines took years to get there even... or like the talons releases ( but a little more plastic than that )

in short plastic core, resin rest... same they do with all those ranges from HH, LI, Necromunda, ToW, Middle earth, Bloodbowl.

26 minutes ago, jaxom said:

Old World - either a silhouette preview of the next army (Elves? Dwarfs?) or a model preview of some additional Bretonnian and/or Khemri heroes.

There's no Old World or Epic reveals due, they're both likely just to chug along getting weekly reveals for a little while I think!

E6npAnY1kzv3KcHq(1).thumb.jpg.b568b6e798ed542fe3c582db041f84da.jpg

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

10 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

Then they'd need to also reveal another plastic "mystery army release" quite soon as they will eventually run out of winter ;)

That said.. I do think people expect way too much plastic here, the expectations seem to be it will be treated like SoB in 40k. But since its an horus heresy/FW release I think the better comparison would be at most spacemarines in horus heresy.. with a little bit less because they arent spacemarines, and spacemarines took years to get there even... or like the talons releases ( but a little more plastic than that )

in short plastic core, resin rest... same they do with all those ranges from HH, LI, Necromunda, ToW, Middle earth, Bloodbowl.

Tactical Command (inc Lord Marshal), Lasrifle Sections and both Veletarii Storm Sections are gone off the webstore, so it's a reasonable assumption those will be dropping relatively close to one another.

Veletarii Vanguard (AKA Flamer Sections) are still there.

Interestingly all of the Malcadors and the Mars-pattern LRs that didn't get purged (so just the Battle Cannon and SA-exclusive Infernus) are still present, however since we have '28mm' versions of the Mars Leman Russes photographed in Legions Imperialis it's fair to assume they won't be far away. The Malcador having a Vanquisher turret in Legions Imperialis (and rules for it in Liber Imperium) would definitely suggest a new model with that at 28mm is coming at some point, but it may be a ways away yet.

Command Section, Rifle Section, Veletarii Storms and the mini-walker (whether it's a dual-kit with Aethons remains to be seen) isn't the worst launch lineup all things considered. Considering even the Legiones don't have things like Breachers or Despoilers yet though, I don't think they're going to suddenly drop over a dozen kits on us, especially for a faction which historically had very low sales - sure that's because they're in resin, but the bean counters won't care about that.

Edited by Lord Marshal

50 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

Interestingly all of the Malcadors and the Mars-pattern LRs that didn't get purged (so just the Battle Cannon and SA-exclusive Infernus) are still present, however since we have '28mm' versions of the Mars Leman Russes photographed in Legions Imperialis it's fair to assume they won't be far away. The Malcador having a Vanquisher turret in Legions Imperialis (and rules for it in Liber Imperium) would definitely suggest a new model with that at 28mm is coming at some point, but it may be a ways away yet.

Battle tank has now become no longer available online in the UK, Dracosan has been just straight up deleted, the malcador is coming to plastic baby!!!!!!

57 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

Tactical Command (inc Lord Marshal), Lasrifle Sections and both Veletarii Storm Sections are gone off the webstore, so it's a reasonable assumption those will be dropping relatively close to one another.

Veletarii Vanguard (AKA Flamer Sections) are still there.

Command Section, Rifle Section, Veletarii Storms and the mini-walker (whether it's a dual-kit with Aethons remains to be seen) isn't the worst launch lineup all things considered. Considering even the Legiones don't have things like Breachers or Despoilers yet though, I don't think they're going to suddenly drop over a dozen kits on us, especially for a faction which historically had very low sales - sure that's because they're in resin, but the bean counters won't care about that.

But even here you seem to be counting heavily on  new mini means plastic mini... and thats simply not the case with FW/SG products..

The fact that something has drawn art (another topic had this.), 28mm photography/render art, has a LI equivalent or is removed from the store... even if it is an indication of a new miniature it is not an indication of the material of that miniature.

Even being in the rumor engines or new years teasers is no indication of it being a plastic product, as was clear with last years HH releases.

We might be used to this pattern with 40k releases, resin striking scorpions drop off the store ( funnily.. they havent ;) ) and we can expect with 99.99% certainity that if a new kit comes, its a plastic kit. But it doesnt work like that with Horus heresy, more than half the SG releases are resin and there is no reason at all to expect every SA release from now on defiate from that and all be plastic, thats what Im trying to say.

It wouldnt really be suprising to me if the launch box is plastic, and thats it as far as plastic goes for the time being, them being drip fed some tanks and resin upgrades over time.

edit :

This is meant objective, doesnt reflect my hopes or wants ofcourse.

But my opinion is irrelevant anyway ( for your information, Id preferred SA was switched with guard from  settings.... SA working better in a dark space setting of 40k with plenty of room of interesting infantry and character options, whereas guard fit more with 30ks "serious" war and tanks vibe. the nature of the many different regiments too fits with HHs heavy humanized setting. But none of that can happen ;) and Im probably alone of that opinion )

Edited by TheMawr

13 minutes ago, Newbiticus said:

Would the next 40K dataslate be release as part of the festivities or is that something with less fanfare issued after LVO?

Definitely after LVO, the changes would now be after list submission for the tournament and essentially make the event be using a "dead format".

They usually drop on Wednesdays or Thursdays iirc :smile:

1 hour ago, fire golem said:

Not a preview per se, an announcement of the next army coming. 

On warcom I believe they said they’d be the first to see the next army, that could mean models, or a PowerPoint slide with a name ahaha! I reckon they’d show old returning models of the army and maybe one new one from either forgeworld or gw team

Id expect the models for plastic solar aux to be at the very least, quite good. What I don't expect is the rules for the new plastic versions to be any more appealing rules-wise than they currently are, much like how all the plastic marine tanks had the cloud of their pool rules hanging over them. 

PLASTIC MALCADOR LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reject Leman Russ Battle Tank. Embrace Malcador Assault Tank.

Gonna need at least two. An Malcador Annihilator and Malcador Vanquisher. Absolutely some Draconsans if they're plastic. Dare I hope for a Minotaur?

1 hour ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Id expect the models for plastic solar aux to be at the very least, quite good. What I don't expect is the rules for the new plastic versions to be any more appealing rules-wise than they currently are, much like how all the plastic marine tanks had the cloud of their pool rules hanging over them. 

I'm interested how 2E goes in general there. We know the staff ended up changing in there, with who was the main rules writer leaving, likely after the rulebooks were completed. My general opinion is that they're going to use the life of 2E as transitionary to move the kits over to plastic, and then do more with 3E as far as trying to build the game up, as the main ranges will be out by then. They clearly didn't expect 'new'* players to get into Solar Auxilia or Mechanicum this round at launch, as the kits were pretty much all resin at the launch of the game.

Either way, the Solar Auxilia I think will look fantastic as you said, so they'll end up being a project of passion, at least for me.

* New meaning both truly new and existing players that hadn't started these armies.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I expect the plastic incarnation of the average SA grunt to look pretty close to it's resin forebears. What I'm curious about is how the plastic command section is going to look. Those models have a lot of small three dimensional detail. Today's plastic fine detailing is very good of course, but the SA command section is something else. For them to look the same in plastic they'd have to be divided into a pretty high number of parts, I'd imagine.

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

1 minute ago, Mmmmm Napalm said:

For them to look the same in plastic they'd have to be divided into a pretty high number of parts, I'd imagine.

Which wouldn't be strange, just look at the cadian command squad.

Those have 9-13 parts per model which should be enough to also get nicely detailed SA command