Deathwatch: Murderers in Black (OOC Thread)

Lysimachus

*Cracks knuckles*

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

When someone other than the Leader wants to enter Squad Mode, they must make a Cohesion Challenge (which MG successfully did). Then, anyone else who wants to join must also make a Cohesion Challenge - at this point, a 6+ on a d10.

This is where you need to refer to the Errata in conjunction.

If a Battle-Brother successfully enters SQD all other Kill-team members within Support Range may (if they choose) immediately enter Squad Mode without using Full Action or passing a Cohesion Challenge.

Alternatively, once per combat the Leader and anyone in Support Range can join for free if the Leader chooses to use his Reaction for the Round (It's a Free Action if he calls Squad Mode himself at the start of his Turn, otherwise it costs his Reaction)

Pretty much. KT Leader can drop into SQD for free once per combat at the top of his turn without a Cohesion challenge. Once he calls it, as above, anyone can join it.

However, 1) anyone who joins will then have to use the Furious Charge to move forward to keep up with Asterius, because he is moving more than 30m away to attack Grots 5? 2) Unfortunately, most PCs (all without jump packs) won't be in Range to actually attack anything with the Furious Charge. 3) But if they don't, Asterius will immediately drop back into Solo Mode, and wouldn't get the benefit of his Wrathful Descent, which only works in Squad Mode?

Right, from my understanding:

1. Any SM can enter SQD for free as Asterius calls it. However, they don't have to join the Attack Pattern, so whoever wants to do something else, can, but he will stay in SQD. (Useful for Devs).
  2. Yes but they can still use the Charge move if they want, for free, as the Furious Assault is an out of turn action, and therefore they can use the Charge, not bother attacking, and then have their turn after they've enjoyed the extra movement.
  3. SQD mode goes off when initiated, so, Asterius will remain in SQD for the purposes of his SQD Attack Pattern, resolve all actions that form part of it, then he will immediately drop out of SQD once this is completed if no Battle Brother is within 30m. Note the Group as a whole does not all have to be within 30m, they can form a chain from one to the other.

I haven't dumped everything here, just enough to keep play going, but I will stand to be corrected by others with experience.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Cheers boss, that all makes sense. :thanks:

Ok, therefore:

Any of the team on the map may now join Squad Mode as a Free Action. Then anyone may make a Free Charge Move, though I believe(?) only Gerhardt (with his jump pack) will have sufficient movement to get into Engagement range and make a CC attack. And as long as everyone stays within 30m of another member of the squad, you can stay in Squad Mode.

So, if each of you let me know who is joining Squad Mode and where they want to use that Furious Charge move to go to, I will amend the Round 1 map and then we can go back to Asterius for his regular Actions.

Posted (edited)

Yep, that sounds right to me.

If you want to roll your Furious Charge attacks and also your regular attacks into Grots 5, go ahead. And MG can roll his regular attacks too.

Everyone else will just be movement in the Squad Action, then MG's regular Actions, then Azadth is climbing, then it's your turn anyway, so the order of your CC attacks won't actually change anything?

Edit: just a note, Furious Charge is 3 Cohesion, so you're down to 3. And a Charge Action only gets 1 attack as a Full Action. MG's 3 hits actually works out though, as you do an extra Hit for every 2DoS against a Horde, and he got 4DoS. So he will have done a total of 11 Mag Dam to Grots 5 during the Furious Charge.

Edited by Lysimachus

11 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

Yep, that sounds right to me.

If you want to roll your Furious Charge attacks and also your regular attacks into Grots 5, go ahead. And MG can roll his regular attacks too.

Everyone else will just be movement in the Squad Action, then MG's regular Actions, then Azadth is climbing, then it's your turn anyway, so the order of your CC attacks won't actually change anything?

Edit: just a note, Furious Charge is 3 Cohesion, so you're down to 3. And a Charge Action only gets 1 attack as a Full Action. MG's 3 hits actually works out though, as you do an extra Hit for every 2DoS against a Horde, and he got 4DoS. So he will have done a total of 11 Mag Dam to Grots 5 during the Furious Charge.

I noted 1 attack from the Charge but didn't know about the extra Hit per 2DoS against Hordes. Asterius' 3 attacks were because of his Swift Attack and Two-Weapon Wielder Talent combination.

I did forget about the damage re-rolls from Furious Charge but it seemed academic with Flesh Render augmenting Tearing to three rolls.

The 1 point cost for Furious Charge was from RoB p63 for Flesh Tearers that Asterius took represent his chapter's Berserk.

I will add in Asterius regular attacks in another post.

Ah, time to juggle multiple books to see if I understand what I'm rolling. Ok, I think Váfri is probably better off staying in Solo to benefit from Bolter Mastery,since if I'm understanding it right all he'd get out of joining Squad is a free move?

It doesn't look like any of the hordes are bunched up enough for Metal Storm rounds to work on them right now, but that might be me trying to read the map with a migraine.

I do have a question: Have I missed a rule somewhere about shooting past or over opponents? I see cover and shooting into melee but I feel like I'm missing something. If I wanted to shoot over the intervening Grots at Flash Git A, for example, is that feasible?

5 hours ago, Machine God said:

I noted 1 attack from the Charge but didn't know about the extra Hit per 2DoS against Hordes. Asterius' 3 attacks were because of his Swift Attack and Two-Weapon Wielder Talent combination.

Yeah, unfortunately that's the problem with the Charge Action, unless you've got Preternatural Speed, one whack is all you get on the run in. :wallbash:

4 hours ago, Urauloth said:

Ah, time to juggle multiple books to see if I understand what I'm rolling. Ok, I think Váfri is probably better off staying in Solo to benefit from Bolter Mastery,since  1): if I'm understanding it right all he'd get out of joining Squad is a free move?

2): It doesn't look like any of the hordes are bunched up enough for Metal Storm rounds to work on them right now, but that might be me trying to read the map with a migraine.

I happened to be passing by, and saw you in the FFG rules swamp (no-one floats down here!)...and since it's a rules query, not a GM one... (edits mine):

1): You've got the gist! (There's more, but...yeah go with that for now!)

2): Hordes are an abstract, so don't fret about spacing. Unless the Horde has a rare and specific Trait (Dispersed Formation) then they are basically bunched up so that you will hurt them if you Hit them. You just target the Horde and work trigger, brother, and watch as they turn into lots of little overpressure sausages. :pirate:

Actually, GM:  I know these guys don't have a Mag, but what's our Horde Size bonus, I might have missed it? Scrawny on the Grots means they're - 10 To Hit, but there loads of 'em..?

I don't think we specified which 'side' of the map I'm overlooking, so I figured I'd random it with a D10 and got left side (map west) if that's ok, or did you want to direct/decide?

Edited by Mazer Rackham

5 hours ago, Urauloth said:

I do have a question: Have I missed a rule somewhere about shooting past or over opponents? I see cover and shooting into melee but I feel like I'm missing something. If I wanted to shoot over the intervening Grots at Flash Git A, for example, is that feasible?

Unfortunately not. P 359 - Attacking a Horde says no as A is in the middle of a Horde, as is E. You can however shoot at B, C, D and G.

@Machine God Gah, I was forgetting about the BA-based Flesh Tearer rules in RoB, I thought you were starting with the FT rules in HtC. Ok, cool, well it certainly makes for a very nice combo between Asterius and Gerhardt!

And yep, as Mazer said, no multiple attacks on the Charge, but you will be able to do them when you do your regular Actions.

@Mazer Rackham We'll assume +30 for all Hordes, though -10 for the Grots like you said. Map west is fine too.

@Urauloth Yeah, if you want to use the Furious Charge movement, you could join, move and then drop back into Solo Mode as a Free Action so that you benefit from Bolter Mastery for your Turn. Metal Storm will do double hits, so if you hit 3 times it will double to 6 and you'd also get 1 extra as a Bolter is Explosive(X), so potentially 7 Hits.

The Flash Gitz A and E are considered to be part of the Boyz mobs, so can't be targeted, as MG says. But if you want to target the Boyz rather than the Grots, you can. "Aim high," as Clint Eastwood would say!

Ah yeah, I was overlooking that Blast works differently on Hordes. Thanks! That makes me think using Metal Storm is an extremely good idea in fact. Bolter Mastery offsets the -2 damage, so I'm going to try my luck against the boyz.

Edited by Urauloth
Slow posting, ninja'd by the GM!

7 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

@Machine God Gah, I was forgetting about the BA-based Flesh Tearer rules in RoB, I thought you were starting with the FT rules in HtC. Ok, cool, well it certainly makes for a very nice combo between Asterius and Gerhardt!

And yep, as Mazer said, no multiple attacks on the Charge, but you will be able to do them when you do your regular Actions.

@Mazer Rackham We'll assume +30 for all Hordes, though -10 for the Grots like you said. Map west is fine too.

@Lysimachus - Yes it is easier to work with the books that I have physically have access to. If it is ok I will edit my posts with the +30 To Hit bonus for the Horde.

17 minutes ago, Machine God said:

@Lysimachus - Yes it is easier to work with the books that I have physically have access to. If it is ok I will edit my posts with the +30 To Hit bonus for the Horde.

Yep, no worries! Between the -10 for Scrawny and the +30 for Horde Size, it should give you +20 for 1 extra Hit on your Furious Charge and 1 extra Hit on your regular Actions! :thumbsup: You don't even need to roll the Damage either, as even if you rolled all 1's the total would still beat the Grots piddly TB+AV of 3 and therefore each Hit will do 1 Mag Dam.

Post going up, but I want to make sure I'm not wildly off with my calculations first:

Firing a semi-auto burst I get +30 for the Horde size, +10 for Bolter Mastery, +10 for the burst, so my roll of 27 caps the RoF of 3. Blast (2) Makes that 6 hits? Then 3 more from the explosive damage type after those hits are resolved?

The damage rolls, unless I'm missing something, should be 1D10+9, -2 for MS rounds, +2 for Mastery, -2 for Pen 2 vs armour 4, and -8 for TB4 with Unnatural Toughness, so ultimately 1D10-1?

18 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

Post going up, but I want to make sure I'm not wildly off with my calculations first:

Firing a semi-auto burst I get +30 for the Horde size, +10 for Bolter Mastery, +10 for the burst, so my roll of 27 caps the RoF of 3. Blast (2) Makes that 6 hits?

Correct! But wait! Is your target 50m or less from you? If so, you may also be entitled to a +10 To Hit for being at Half-Range..!

Then 3 more from the explosive damage type after those hits are resolved?

Just the one hit from Explosive, but yes, spot on, this is after all other hits have been calc'd.

The damage rolls, unless I'm missing something, should be 1D10+9, -2 for MS rounds, +2 for Mastery, -2 for Pen 2 vs armour 4, and -8 for TB4 with Unnatural Toughness, so ultimately 1D10-1?

Nearly there. All you need to roll is the Damage Dice, Lysi will take the TB and armour off. You also get an extra damage die for your bolter weapon quality Tearing. You pick the highest of two dice. Just let the GM know where everything comes from, so you can either:

Damage (Metal Storm): 1D10 (2D10 Tearing) + 7 (Dam) + 2 (BM) = xx at Pen 2.

Or present your calc as you describe. Up to you, chap ;)

Hope this helps!

Edited by Mazer Rackham

19 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

Firing a semi-auto burst I get +30 for the Horde size, +10 for Bolter Mastery, +10 for the burst, so my roll of 27 caps the RoF of 3. Blast (2) Makes that 6 hits? Then 3 more from the explosive damage type after those hits are resolved?

You are doing 3 Shots (You cannot go past the ROF Bolters unless they are Storm).

3 hits doing 10 to 19 (1D10+9) Damage at Pen 4 -2 = 2.

Ninja'ed by @Mazer Rackham

5 minutes ago, Machine God said:

Ninja'ed by @Mazer Rackham

Like a Mantis Warrior.

:ph34r:

Kee-ai!

8 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

Oh, right, forgot the Tearing! I knew there was something. Man, Dark Heresy is so simple by comparison.

Ooooh, yeah....

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Posted (edited)

@Urauloth yep, against a Horde you just have to roll enough to do 1 point of Damage over the enemy's TB+AV.

So for the Ork Boyz the target is TB8 +AV1(AV3 - Metal Storm Pen2) +1 = 10

Your Dam is 1d10(Tearing) +9 -2(Metal Storm) +2(BM). That means that even with a minimum roll, you will get a total of 10.

Therefore, you don't actually need to roll the Damage d10s at all, and each successful Hit will cause 1 point of Mag Dam.

@Machine God Just a note for future reference on how Swift Attack interacts with TWW and interacts with attacking a Horde:

Asterius has Swift Attack so can make the Multiple Attacks Full Action, giving him 2 Attacks instead of 1. He can then also use Two-Weapon Wielder to add 1 extra Attack, for 3 in total. All of those Attacks would require a roll to Hit with the same modifiers, in this case:

WS55 +30(Horde Size) -10(Scrawny Target) -10(-20 Two Weapon Fighting, reduced to -10 due to Ambidextrous) = 65.

Each 2DoS on any of these 3 rolls will add an extra Hit if the target is a Horde.

For example, if you rolled 24, 47 and 72 for the 3 Attacks, that would be:
Hit with 4 DoS on the 24 = 1 Hit plus 2 extra Hits
Hit with 1DoS on the 47 = 1 Hit
Miss with 1DoF on the 72 = 0 Hits

That would mean you would Hit a horde 4 times. (In the case of the Grots, each of these would automatically be enough to cause damage even on a minimum Damage d10 roll, so the 4 Hits would cause 4 Mag Dam)

Edited by Lysimachus

7 minutes ago, A.T. said:

Omoc

The call was given and the vanguard descended into the horde. Standing aloof above the carnage Omoc sought out targets of value as he swung his weapon to bear.

And the target was not hard to find as the orks had adorned themselves with all manner of gaudy paint and banners to signify their position amongst the horde, bold but foolish.

Reveal hidden contents

Target the flash gitz

Roll to hit: 43

+10 hulking, +10 range, +20 full auto = hit and four extra

Three hits to the first, two to the second

#1 Rolls(tearing) 2/5, 4/9, 10/4(+4 righteous fury)

=17, 21, and 26 damage, Pen 5 (and +2 crit if needed)

#2 Rolls(tearing) 9/9, 2/7

=21 and 19 damage, Pen 5

Wrong Thread!

@A.T. Also, could you clarify which targets you are shooting at? Shots from a FAB need to be shared between targets within 2m of each other, I think? Are you hitting a Flash Git and its attendant Grot Rigger?

1 hour ago, Machine God said:

Wrong Thread!

Indeed

9 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

@A.T. Also, could you clarify which targets you are shooting at? Shots from a FAB need to be shared between targets within 2m of each other, I think? Are you hitting a Flash Git and its attendant Grot Rigger?

Sorry I misread the map - was only looking for 'a'

I'll put four into the git and one into the horde, and put my post in the right place...

7 hours ago, A.T. said:

Indeed

Sorry I misread the map - was only looking for 'a'

I'll put four into the git and one into the horde, and put my post in the right place...

Except the section for Hordes on Page 359 - Attacking a Horde says: 

Weapons that can fire on full, or semi-auto will cause additional hits. These must be allocated against the Horde and not any individual Lieutenants or Masters that may also be present.