Deathwatch: Murderers in Black (OOC Thread)

Lysimachus

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Machine God said:

Well if the Klaw isn't energised then the Critical shouldn't be Energy. More Impact - Leg or Rending - Leg

I believe the result Mazer posted above is from Rending - Leg...?

16 minutes ago, Machine God said:

I'm still thinking up something on something. It does say that Fate can be spent at Any time.

Yes indeed. And can be used to heal Wounds, if that is what you are thinking... but not once you've gone into Critical Damage (see the section re FP in the crb, also mentioned in the errata) Unfortunately for Asterius the first attack that hit rolled high enough to go straight into Crits, meaning there was no time for Asterius to use the FP?

@Necronaut I want to say it was based on Mark of the Xenos, maybe?

Edit:

@Urauloth what Necro said! :biggrin:

Edited by Lysimachus

My bad, I didn't realise the Klaw didn't have a power field. Yes it should be Rending.

Crit 7 Rending:

• Still no leg (no tap dancing)
  • 1D10 Fatigue
  • Blood Loss (Marines are immune)

Note that if your fatigue goes above your TB, you're unconscious, and you don't get to throw abuse either.

37 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

I swear each Astartes has more rules than a whole game of Dark Heresy...

It's when you notice this, that you go...'ah, top of the food chain.'

Edited by Mazer Rackham

With any luck the rest of the orks will think that he is dead and not kick him some more, but probably a good time to spend all of his fate points on recovering wounds. Won't repair the critical damage but it will create a buffer before he takes any more - and one single point more of critical damage will kill him.

Edited by A.T.

Well it looks like Gerhardt's best course of action at this point will be to move to interpose himself between Asterius and Grubgob and either make a guarded attack or assume a defensive stance. Either that or I spend 1 FP to boost our dwindling cohesion pool and possibly activate the Black Templars squad mode ability to allow everyone within support range to make a number of melee standard attacks up to their agility bonus if the preceding attack was successful.

Thoughts?

Edit: let's revisit this once we see the updated battle map

Edited by Necronaut

OK, I've trawled through it and I have found as follows:

Unfortunately, healing with Fate is not an option. (Handy to know, because I didn't). Can't heal Crit Damage using Fate as Lysi says. You need a Medic.

I think it's the terminology which was throwing me off at least, possibly thinking of Critical Effects instead. It's best to think of Crit Dam as a second type of Wounds track.

CRB states it, clear as day, p.262:

"A character is Critically Damaged whenever he has taken Damage in excess of his Wounds."

Note that this terminology is along with the Healing stuff, and therefore uses Lightly Damaged, Heavily Damaged and Critically Damaged, and is more applicable to our Medicaes. (Or FFG burying crap everywhere, like Canadian Tank Platoons and 120mm ammo, but I digress).

Also see the Errata:

Question: Do Fate Points remove Damage treated by Medicae or only Damage untreated by Medicae?
Answer: Fate Points remove any type of Damage (other than Critical Damage), regardless of whether or not the Damage has been treated by Medicae or not.

I think the confusion stems from the wording.

• Wounds (all your blood is inside you)
  • Critical Damage (They are Wounds but your blood is now rapidly outside)
  • Critical Effects (Your Wounds are gone, your blood is rapidly outside, and look you stupid bastard your arm's off).

There are some abilities that state you can: 'Ignore Critical Damage, but not the Effect (Loss of an eye, Limb etc).' ie: you're half dead, but keep going.

That's the nutshells. Crit Damage is covered in full on CRB p.250.

Any use?

Edited by Mazer Rackham

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Any use?

This is very much how I understand it, but much better explained, so :thanks::biggrin:

It honestly makes a lot more sense to me too. Fate Points restoring Wounds is very much like you can take a few hits, but then keep going and keep fighting by being lucky/blessed by the Emperor/generally awesome...

...but if you get hit by something truly big and nasty, it doesn't matter how lucky/blessed/awesome you are, you are going to need medical attention asap! :laugh:

17 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

If you want to risk it, @Trokair you could always use the LS Storm as a casevac chopper.

*Fortunate Son Intensifies*

Or he could "Run for the Jungle"

But where is that Sniper...

"The Killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on!"

@Necronaut If we’re going the melee route, I’m going to have to get to you/Grubgob as soon as possible. At the moment it’s just your power sword and my servo-arm.

@Lysimachus Looking at the Salamanders Solo Mode Ability, I can’t see any restriction on using it every Turn (it is also a Passive Ability). So if I want to put Proven(2) on the Servo-Arm, I can just do that during my next Turn?

(Potentially I could swap between bolter and Servo-Arm every Turn)

I forgot what Tearing meant, and giving the bolter Proven(2) is a waste. 

@Mike Zulu come on down and join the party! I have a trick or two up Gerhardt's sleeve to hopefully keep him and Asterius alive in the meantime, but yes that servo arm will be nasty and most welcome. 

Edit: a restriction on you using your solo mode ability would be if you're in squad mode. Dropping in and out of squad mode repeatedly to use it would get a bit dicey since you would have to test against cohesion every time you wished to rejoin squad mode. I would probably advise against that.

Edited by Necronaut

Posted (edited)

The only other thing I thought you could do in Round 3, would be for Asterius to drag himself away (probably towards Amaras*, and no Opportunity Attack as Gerhardt is still engaged), then Azadth to Delay, and then Gerhardt to also move away (either by Disengage, or even by using a Charge against someone else and using his Dodge for the Round to avoid the Opportunity Attack? If he attacked one of the Hordes, he wouldn't get a Dodge against them anyway, so it wouldn't really be wasted either?) 

Then as soon as Gerhardt is out, Azadth could take his half Action and put a Krak missile into Grubgob? He wouldn't get an Aim, but between the long range of the Armourbane and its bonus to hit a ground target and Grubgob being Enormous and no longer in Melee, it's still a pretty reasonable chance to Hit?

To be clear, though, that's not a suggestion, just throwing it out as an option.

*edit: Actually, with his jump pack, a Run move would take him all the way back over the engine and next to Amaras, who could then immediately use a Full Action to put his Medicae Skills to use?

Again, just an idea, not an instruction or even a suggestion. :thumbsup:

Edit edit: Gah, scratch that. As Mazer said, can't Ready and Fire Armourbane as a half Action.

Edited by Lysimachus

Not telegraphing anything.:whistling:

Rules Question.

Killing Strike works with All Out Attack, but there is a wording issue to me. All Out Attack says Attack whilst Killing Strike says Attacks which is plural.

So could somebody with 3 Attacks (Swift Attack with Two-Weapon Wielder Melee and Unarmed Master) attack with all 3 Attacks?

@Mike Zulu sorry, missed your post somehow, yep I can't see why you couldn't apply Proven to the Servo-Arm?

@Lord_Ikka I can't quite remember how FAB and Scatter interact, but I think maybe you get a few more Hits? (Scatter I'm sure is not limited by the RoF maximum, so you could get up to 5 Hits on the FAB, plus whatever Scatter gives you?) Also, Point Blank is +30 so that is at least another 2DoS to include?

@Machine God unfortunately not, I think. All Out Attack is a different Full Action to Multiple Attacks, which is the one that lets you use Swift Attack.

I'm not 100% how it interacts with regard to TWW, but my gut feeling is not. AOA (especially with Killing Strike) is supposed to be one massive, unstoppable blow, which feels odd with 2 attacks? Thoughts anyone?

Gah, good point. Pelt him with Krak Grenades? :ermm: Or maybe a CC pile-on is the only way to go.

@Machine God btw, do be careful, mate. If the Orks still think Asterius is any kind of threat, Boyz 2 (who haven't acted in Round 2 yet) will probably put the boot in as they go past, and they only need 1 point of Damage more and then he is dead-dead rather than nearly-dead?