Deathwatch: Murderers in Black (OOC Thread)

Lysimachus

15 minutes ago, A.T. said:

...you can dodge ranged attacks from hordes, it's the melee attacks that cannot be dodged or parried...

Unfortunately they 'streamlined' that in the Errata p.6.:

Hordes Attacking, Ranged (page 360): Add the following sentence at the end of the description: “Generally, the ranged attacks of a Horde may not be Dodged—this represents the Horde’s sheer volume of firepower. At the GM’s discretion, he may choose to allow certain ranged attacks from a Horde to be Dodged as normal."

"For example, a Horde of Chaos Heretics may possess a single missile launcher amongst their number. Since the entire horde is not firing missiles (they are instead firing autopistols), the missile launcher does not benefit from the Horde’s abilities regarding ranged attacks, and therefore receives no bonus damage and may be Dodged normally.”

Edited by Mazer Rackham

49 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

You lads want a Frag missile on the grots, or the boys?

Shoot it at our feet, generate some cover :p

But yes we definitely want to whittle the hordes down to no more than 1 bonus damage dice before things get ugly. Perhaps I should have brought those metal storm rounds after all...

12 minutes ago, A.T. said:

Shoot it at our feet, generate some cover :p

You say that, but I could Krak Missile the base of the scarp I'm on and bury the bastards in eight tons of rock, if the GM is willing....

12 minutes ago, A.T. said:

But yes we definitely want to whittle the hordes down to no more than 1 bonus damage dice before things get ugly. Perhaps I should have brought those metal storm rounds after all...

Agree. HB and MS do tend to make Hordes vanish. It's hard to build a Dev though, IMHO, because you have to spec into big ROF Horde Kill or low ROF high damage Elite Kill, the latter having decidedly more Advances in the tables. What do you find?

19 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Agree. HB and MS do tend to make Hordes vanish. It's hard to build a Dev though, IMHO, because you have to spec into big ROF Horde Kill or low ROF high damage Elite Kill, the latter having decidedly more Advances in the tables. What do you find?

The heavy bolter is overshadowed as a horde killer by the storm bolter as soon as you hit 'respected' level. That said the heavy bolter is free...

No doubt @Lysimachus is perusing the Power Field entry in the crb. But I have the FFG wording to my advantage.

Asterius is doing the parrying and not the other way around.

If the Power Klaw parries a weapon then Power Field comes into play.

I know that it is not how it should be intended to be, but it is RAW.

6 minutes ago, Mike Zulu said:

Team, I need guidance for Zidemi. I’m playing with a few ideas but ultimately should I spend 2 Full Actions to reload my Armourbane?

Probably not... unless you want the grots shooting you up for two more rounds. Then again we might need it if the warboss smashes his way through all the other marines.

1 hour ago, Machine God said:

No doubt @Lysimachus is perusing the Power Field entry in the crb. But I have the FFG wording to my advantage.

1 hour ago, A.T. said:

Makes sense that the character doing the parrying would do so in a matter to protect their weapon / disarm their opponent.

The Relic Blade 'Power Field' entry supports these readings, as Relic Blades specifically state they may destroy what they Parry, or are Parried by. However, I'd be checking up whether or not Size allows a Parry bonus - although thankfully you stuck the parry without it! :tongue:

1 hour ago, Mike Zulu said:

Team, I need guidance for Zidemi. I’m playing with a few ideas but ultimately should I spend 2 Full Actions to reload my Armourbane?

I'd agree with AT. (I'm inclined to treat the Armourbane as a one-shot disposable (like it is described in RoB IIRC)).

Edited by Mazer Rackham

7 minutes ago, A.T. said:

Probably not... unless you want the grots shooting you up for two more rounds. Then again we might need it if the warboss smashes his way through all the other marines.

I might need to cop it. I wasn’t expecting anyone to get stuck into the Warboss that quickly (Lightning Attack guys!), and I feel Azadth and I have the only tools to kill him.

How about: Drop prone is free action and will incur -10 to Hit you. You could perhaps half move (shuffle) to cover, half shot (or a Frag Grenade)  on the Horde, then start reloading?

If Big Green was clear, I'd have sent him a rocket toothpick with a Called Shot.

Edited by Mazer Rackham
Frag grenade

Posted (edited)

Sorry everyone, it's been a absolutely mental day, not had a chance to even think about this. I'm now working on an update.

Quite happy with the Parry, how it works is how it works :thumbsup:

Also, just realised I may have made a strategic error by bringing those grots into point blank range of Moridyn... :facepalm::laugh:

Edit: well...

I was worried that might happen...

@Machine God please let me know how you want to handle this. Burning Fate is an option?

Edited by Lysimachus

Yep, Mazer just pointed this out to me via PM, I had forgotten about True Grit... apologies all!

Can anyone remind me what -7 is on the Crit table? I'm out again now, so away from my device with books on it. I think(?) the leg is still gone...?

Crit Energy Leg: -7

• Leg counts as gone, but still attached
  • Toughness Test or Stunned 1 Round
  • 1D5 Levels of Fatigue

Can't tap dance, but can still hurl abuse.

EDIT: I'm fairly sure his armour is no longer sealed either.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Hmm, I'm not 100% (as mentioned, I've not got books to hand this evening) but I don't seem to have included Power when I copied the profile over onto my doc for the battle set-up post, so I think no it doesn't?

My thought would be that Ork klaws work purely by massive hydraulic pressure rather than being energized in any way?

8 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Hmm, I'm not 100% (as mentioned, I've not got books to hand this evening) but I don't seem to have included Power when I copied the profile over onto my doc for the battle set-up post, so I think no it doesn't?

My thought would be that Ork klaws work purely by massive hydraulic pressure rather than being energized in any way?

@Lysimachus - Well if the Klaw isn't energised then the Critical shouldn't be Energy. More Impact - Leg or Rending - Leg

I'm still thinking up something on something. It does say that Fate can be spent at Any time.

Okay I was just curious (and clearly very interested in getting our characters killed) -- the power klaw entry in Into The Storm makes it effectively an ork chain fist, but I haven't found an equivalent entry in the Deathwatch books (yet). To wit:

Damage: 2d10E, Pen 10

Special: Power Field, Tearing, Unwieldy

Additional: Doubles wearer's strength bonus

2 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

I forgot about True Grit as well, that cuts Váfri's damage taken down to 5 then?

I swear each Astartes has more rules than a whole game of Dark Heresy...

I don't believe Vafri has been knocked down into critical damage yet, so no -- True Grit applies only to critical damage taken (i.e. damage below 0 wounds).