Hey all! 

Welcome to my shiny new thread. Some of you will know me from my 30k Iron Warriors and Dornian Heresy White Scars threads that I’ve had up here over the years, among other things. In the last year I’ve moved across the country and, unfortunately, there wasn’t a lot of room to bring those projects with me! A crying shame, I know. 

However, that has left me with a clean slate to start a new force! No more half-finished projects staring at me, begging to be completed. At least not for a while. 

So, I’ve decided to go ahead with an army I’ve wanted to put together for years - the better part of a decade, actually. Black Legion! Some of you may faintly recall my Fifteen Fangs warband, which I built way back in 2018, when Kill Team first came out. That was my first foray into CSM, but, after finishing the conversions, the project never went anywhere. Until now! When visiting home a couple months back the models caught my eye and I got inspired to take them and expand them into a full Black Legion force. But more on that later.

Today my offering is the one and only, the unmistakeable, Warmaster of Chaos: Abaddon, the Despoiler.

MjlX9Mm.jpeg

OPHl2Ba.jpeg

YpgeW5w.jpeg
PSMIDvN.jpeg

f3L7x06.jpeg

Abaddon has been my favourite character in the setting for a long while now - ever since I first got my teenage mitts on ADB’s Talon of Horus, an experience I’m sure a lot of you can agree with. Needless to say - other characters from the book will be cropping up here and there in this thread.

Over the last few weeks I’ve chipped away at the big guy, and finally finished him up today! He was an absolute blast to paint, and a really excellent model all around.

A few notes about creative decisions:

• I decided I wanted that infamous red underglow, and it was the first part of the model I’d say was in anyway completed. Looking at it reminded me of the iconic Horus V the Emperor painting, so I decided to paint that fallen marine on the base as a Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard - with an mind towards making the broken wing statue on the base appear as though it was the wing from said Sanguinary Guard’s jump-pack. I wanted Abaddon, clad in black and gold terminator armour, wielding his father’s talon, and stood over a winged, golden-armoured warrior to look the spitting image of his own father - a sort of meta life-imitates-art take, with an ironic twist in that Abaddon probably would hate to know how similar he appears to Horus in this moment I have captured him in.

• Left the cape off - I wanted that classic Abaddon silhouette that alluded to his old mini. Cool as the cape looks, it doesn’t feel like Abaddon to me. Plus it obscures some cool details to be found on the back!

• Trophy rack - I had so much fun painting up some of my friend’s armies as trophies mounted on Abaddon’s spike rack. We have an Ultramarines lieutenant as played by my friend James, and my friend Raj’s green-and-black Tyranids. I’ve purposefully left the left-most skull (which has Space Marine Bionics attached to it) partially unpainted, so I can add another space marine faction if desired.

Coming up - I’ve got plans for a terminator retinue for Abaddon, with a member representing each of the chaos gods. I also have a squad of possessed, and the aforementioned Fifteen fangs kill team, which I will re-photograph to be added to this thread later on.

And that’s all for today folks! Cheers for reading, stick around if you wanna see more! If you want more frequent updates, my Instagram, @jallens40k, gets WIP photos as often as I work on my minis. Laters!

Hey guys!

Over the weekend I was reunited with my wider Warhammer collection, including all the old chaos models I’ve collected over the years. It forms a pretty tremendous basis for an army, so I’ll get them all pictured for a big upload this week.

In the meantime, today’s offering brings a really fun conversion I made! I got my hands on a print of the Cyberdemon model from the DOOM 2016 boardgame, and knew immediately I wanted him in the legion.

rrn3tSS.jpeg
xYdNnvO.jpeg

RwDtrCl.jpeg
dwuXvji.jpeg

xpqvNMu.jpeg

Super stoked with how he turned out. The stock model was great but kind of lacking  in the gothic sci-fi aesthetic of 40k, so I made some changes - added armour and swapped out the legs using parts from the Venomcrawler. Used a lot of parts from the Havocs kit to arm him up for 40k combat - I’m planning to run him as an Obliterator

Here’s a comparison with one of the stock Obliterator models - he’s a quite a bit taller but I’m pretty happy with the size profile matching up otherwise

5n3uYJ1.jpeg

Theres still much work to be done - I want to add more CSM-style armour, need to gap fill and sculpt details, blend the kits together, and sort out the ammo chain looking a little janky.

Let me know what you think! Cheers for reading!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

Threw together this quick Fallen Deathwing Knight today.

2sY6qM9.jpeg

I want to make a five-man terminator honour guard for Abaddon, with a terminator from each of the cult legions and an undivided champion to lead. This guy is gonna fill out that role - Perhaps he could be Vortigern? 

That's really neat - for some reason, to me it really makes him look like an elephant (more so than I would expect the head itself to generate - not sure why the hood is reinforcing that appearance)... so, really helping reinforce the beastial look of chaos in a perhaps unanticipated way.