Quest for the Golden Demon - What's to Come

LunchBox

I finished another guy, and tried some new techniques. Mainly, the idea was to start with the brightest highlights, and shade down, instead of starting in the middle, and working both ways. It turned out faster, but the contrast I would like is not really there...but it's not bad. The sword cam out pretty good, I think...I pushed my shades a bit darker, and quickened my transitions a bit.

In honor of the idea's originator...this is Veteran Sgt. Apok:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics12/img470026beb0f23.jpg

PS: Master Chaplain Astador is up on CMON, and is officially my first "9"!

*Edited for better pic

whats the question? thats his army

as to the model, nmm looks good, maybe a bit smoother in some places would be nice, and some more contrast in the grey armour

Starks

Yep...that's my army! :ph34r:

As for the armor, I agree...like I said, I didn't get the contrast where I wanted it. It's WAY too subtle, to the point that it looks like natural light, instead of exaggerated highlights for scale.

*I also just realized I forgot the chapter badge on his right shoulder pad...there's another 1-2 hours of work...damnit... :D

Lunchbox, u make me so jealous. plz take a look @ my thread and pour all of (or at least some of) ur helpful tips and tricks into it. that would make me so happy.

trying to sound as little like a winey kid as possible :teehee:

Brother Veteran Berkova. Since I nicked the idea for this one, and the last one from Ap0k...I felt I should continue to give him credit. The last guy was named directly for him, so I combined what he was working on, BERzerkers, and flopped his username backwards, and swapped in a "v"...so instead of Berkopa...Berkova. Kinda catchy if you say it with a Russian accent...I think...

I took this picture at dusk, so i had to jack up the light on my camera...this is why it looks a little 'bled' out, but you get the general idea.

:D

You have to tell me which Golden Demon these guys will be entered in. So I will remember which one not to attend :P for fear of getting my arse wooped by the inquisition! :D

(I am going to name one of my berserkers after Doghouse >.> lol)

I have a question: These Veterans that ya'll have been looking at are part of my Patriot Guard army. However, I'm uncertain if I should include the urban camo scheme (below) on these power armored Veterans (not the Chaplain). I don't know if it will be cool, distracting, eye catching, or disasterous. These camo spots were painted a couple of years ago, so naturally, I would paint the new ones better.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics11/img453136342981f.jpg

Let me know what you think...thanks!

I like the camo but I would not use the purple colour scheme. It dosent fit the the overall look IMO, the purple clashes to much with the rest of the models, More neutral greys and gray blues I think would work.

I think so anyways :tu:

imo leave out the camo, while i like both schemes i think the camo it is a little distracting (which is the point of camo?) .

I tend to look away from the heads of the camo models, or dont immediately look for the head as in the newer models.

But thats just me.

I don't think the question is 'to use or to not use camouflage'. The question is (in my opinion) camouflage or 'cape, gold shoulder pad rim and other fancy stuff'.

As you want some golden resin statues you need to make these miniatures talk to the judges, not confuse them. So which is easier for you to tell a story with: The fancy honour guard or the camouflage and military point of view, and which fits better in the 'GW universe' (in relation to your storytelling (via miniatures)).

The whole miniature win a prize, not individual pieces on your miniature.

If you really need/want some fancy freehand painting on your miniatures, try some trompe-l'œil imperial icons on the armour like chapter icons, honour badges, imperial eagles, and skulls ... never forget skulls, they are roughly thirty pecent of GW IP and increase your chances for a statue by five percent (for each) :lol:.

I don't think the question is 'to use or to not use camouflage'. The question is (in my opinion) camouflage or 'cape, gold shoulder pad rim and other fancy stuff'.

As you want some golden resin statues you need to make these miniatures talk to the judges, not confuse them. So which is easier for you to tell a story with: The fancy honour guard or the camouflage and military point of view, and which fits better in the 'GW universe' (in relation to your storytelling (via miniatures)).

The whole miniature win a prize, not individual pieces on your miniature.

If you really need/want some fancy freehand painting on your miniatures, try some trompe-l'œil imperial icons on the armour like chapter icons, honour badges, imperial eagles, and skulls ... never forget skulls, they are roughly thirty pecent of GW IP and increase your chances for a statue by five percent (for each) :devil:.

yup explains Allans Slayer and Vincents (all had skulls) :lol:

Starks

I agree...the camo is cool, but I will stick with the honor-guard style theme. Camo is for the grunts then...

Also, I think the skulls thing was a little tongue in cheek...can you explain the theory...or the joke?

Archived