Quest for the Golden Demon - What's to Come

LunchBox

He's adorable! I can hardly remember ours being that tiny.....I feel your wife's pain though, ours was 9 lbs 3 oz and I had no drugs, all natural. Is it normal for hospitals there to keep new moms and babies for more than a day? Up here we're in and out as quick as they can get us. I was in the hospital for exactly 24 hours after he was born. LittleLunchbox is very sweet looking. Tell Mommy Lunchbox she did good.

*this is going to sound dumb, but for GD stuff can you enter the same entry in all of the ones you decide to attend or do you have to have seperate entries for each?

Congratulations on bringing another Texan into the world!

@LadyKat: If men had been given the task of birthing babies, the human race would have died out after the second generation. Our 1st & 4th were sans epidural. That was where I learned that humor is not appreciated in the labor room. Fortunately, a very skilled plastic surgeon was on hand and he was able to re-attach my lips. ^_^

*this is going to sound dumb, but for GD stuff can you enter the same entry in all of the ones you decide to attend or do you have to have seperate entries for each?

You could if it doesn't place. But the questions becomes why? If it didn't win at say Atlanta (as an example) it is highly unlikely that it would win at L.A. and it certainly wouldn't win at Baltimore or Chicago. Or at the least it certainly wouldn't have a shot without a lot of redo work. Folks have entered pieces in one GD and then another but I don't recall if any managed to place if they didn't in their first go round.

Yeah...an honorable mention in Chicago might squeak out a bronze in Atlanta...but the chances are fair that the jugdes will remember it, and silently penalize it...who knows. Following that train of thought, I opted not to use Veteran Sgt Gebtj (my Open entry this year) in my Squad entry for next year.

Back to the actual topic...I'm making great progress on the standard bearer in the squad. The model is almost fully painted except for the banner, and I've been testing out mixing colors to enhance my shades and highlights. For instance, on the inside of a cape, I used Liche Purple, and added VMC "Buff" to the purple for highlights...and did the opposite on the flip side, using Buff as the base, and adding purple to shade. It's turned out really well, but now I need to add freehand, and finish the right shoulder pad.

Pics will probably be up within the next day or two.

Yeah...an honorable mention in Chicago might squeak out a bronze in Atlanta...but the chances are fair that the jugdes will remember it, and silently penalize it...who knows. Following that train of thought, I opted not to use Veteran Sgt Gebtj (my Open entry this year) in my Squad entry for next year.

Back to the actual topic...I'm making great progress on the standard bearer in the squad. The model is almost fully painted except for the banner, and I've been testing out mixing colors to enhance my shades and highlights. For instance, on the inside of a cape, I used Liche Purple, and added VMC "Buff" to the purple for highlights...and did the opposite on the flip side, using Buff as the base, and adding purple to shade. It's turned out really well, but now I need to add freehand, and finish the right shoulder pad.

Pics will probably be up within the next day or two.

hahahahahah woah woah, first cut at chicago would be gold in atlanta :lol: many people have re-entered, some people squeek out lower end models, keep in mind like in chicago sometimes the catagory you happen to be entering is chalked full of the best of the best, so not making it doesnt mean yours isnt good enough to win, just not good enough to beat the best

so for example lunhboxs mini might very well be good enough to win in atlanta, baltimore, la, etc(not canda though...we're screwed, spanish, french, team NA, team montreal, Team Awesome....ya...)

as always i will await the pics :)

Starks

Well, Starks...I was trying to pay a LITTLE respect to the entries in Atlanta...but I think you're right; the Chi/Balt GD's are THE American comps that really bring out the heavy hitters.

On that note, and this is not a dig on the Lady at all, but wouldn't re-entering your mini kind of go against the spirit of the Demon comps? It's THE competition to see how good you are, so why not test against the world's finest? You can't push yourself if you don't...well...push yourself!

Also, I tested out what ya'll said in the cnadian Forums about glazing on purple to unify the model. AMAZING! Even though you really can't see the purple at all, it 'sync'd' up all the greys and made them uniform, and seamless. Thanks!

PS: Starks, I'm going to need a link to coloring/pigment/tint/value/saturation, etc. I've searched the net for 3 days looking for a great article that applies to mini painting.

Thanks!

Well, Starks...I was trying to pay a LITTLE respect to the entries in Atlanta...but I think you're right; the Chi/Balt GD's are THE American comps that really bring out the heavy hitters.

bah respect is something you earn ;)

On that note, and this is not a dig on the Lady at all, but wouldn't re-entering your mini kind of go against the spirit of the Demon comps? It's THE competition to see how good you are, so why not test against the world's finest? You can't push yourself if you don't...well...push yourself!

i completely agree, hence why i never re-enter anything! not even something that was planned and never finished, unless it becomes part of something new, like that banner bearer, he might join a unit entry otherwise hes a no show

Also, I tested out what ya'll said in the cnadian Forums about glazing on purple to unify the model. AMAZING! Even though you really can't see the purple at all, it 'sync'd' up all the greys and made them uniform, and seamless. Thanks!

no problem!

PS: Starks, I'm going to need a link to coloring/pigment/tint/value/saturation, etc. I've searched the net for 3 days looking for a great article that applies to mini painting.

not sure whatcha mean, do you mean colour theory(application and use of colour in a subejct?) or do you mean something more like, what colours to mix to get this colour?

Starks

I'm refering to color theory, but I also need to know what colors to mix to highlight up and desaturate the base color, as well as complimentary colors to add for shading.

Another thing I'm curious about: when do you shade and highlight by adding other colors, and when do you shade and highlight as normal, then glaze on the complimentay color...assuming I'm using the term "complimentary color" correctly.

I totally did not take that as a dig. At West Coast Mayhem (Vancouver's replacement for Conflict since Conflict isn't coming back here) I entered a couple of modelsso I guess I was trying to figure out if I improved on those if I should reenter the next time around or if I should start from scratch with something. But it makes sense that you would start from scratch.

So when are we going to see some more of your stuff?

I'm refering to color theory, but I also need to know what colors to mix to highlight up and desaturate the base color, as well as complimentary colors to add for shading.

Another thing I'm curious about: when do you shade and highlight by adding other colors, and when do you shade and highlight as normal, then glaze on the complimentay color...assuming I'm using the term "complimentary color" correctly.

hmmmm i dont really know of any article, i could explain a lot of it myself however but that will take time, im very busy right now so maybe like 2 weeks from now...everythings getting bunched up on me!

Starks

So when are we going to see some more of your stuff?

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/standardwip.jpg

I still have a little work to do to blend and finish out the cape, but it's Desert Yellow shaded by mixing in Liche Purple, and a touch of dark grey for the deepest parts. The Purple...which turned out great, I think...was Liche Purple mixed with VMC Buff to highlight up. There will be freehand on the cape...oh yes...there will be freehand...

the purple does look nice..i also notice you seem to have purple mixed into your white, if thats indeed true and not just the camera, im happy because you are unknowingly improving your colour and atmosphere control

by adding purple nuances to the grey and white, they blend into the scheme better and white being bright isnt overpowering now

as for the cape, colours are nice, make the part on the shoulders a bit brighter and blend er up!

i still love how you went with ideas i gave you, and then kept going, and didnt just stop at my suggestions, thats what made my comments so much more worth their time

talk to CMA about bringing me down to teach you guys a bit more, you might find some things that will help you get over the next benchmark, and well i wanna see Texas :jaw:

Starks

the purple does look nice..i also notice you seem to have purple mixed into your white, if thats indeed true and not just the camera, im happy because you are unknowingly improving your colour and atmosphere control

by adding purple nuances to the grey and white, they blend into the scheme better and white being bright isnt overpowering now

as for the cape, colours are nice, make the part on the shoulders a bit brighter and blend er up!

i still love how you went with ideas i gave you, and then kept going, and didnt just stop at my suggestions, thats what made my comments so much more worth their time

talk to CMA about bringing me down to teach you guys a bit more, you might find some things that will help you get over the next benchmark, and well i wanna see Texas :jaw:

Starks

I just finished the right shoulder pad, and I will say it is without a doubt it is the single best thing I've ever painted.

I'm glad you noticed the purple glaze on the tabard...I didn't mention to see if you could really tell.

As for the ideas and tips you gave me...I wasn;t trying to paint a better mini; I was trying to be a better painter.

Lunchbox... you are a constant source of inspiration. The face on that Marine is awesome, the rest of it is pretty darn perfect too!

Time for a :jaw:

Now if only I understood what you and Starks are talking about! :lol: Never mind, one day perhaps I'll improve from 'black undercoat, white shoulder pads, transfer, another Templar finished!' :lol:

Never mind, one day perhaps I'll improve from 'black undercoat, white shoulder pads, transfer, another Templar finished

Whatever it takes to get them on the tabletop I say. :jaw:

@Lunchbox: I really like the look you got on the leather strapped tabard thingy, how'd you get that vibrant blue grey look?

I feel like I'm looking at a rendition of Ceasar--its beautiful. I really can't think of the right words, but to be honest I was moved by this miniture. I've seen a lot that have been posted by all you more-expert painters (I'd call you expert but I'm sure someone would protest) and I've really liked aspects of them all and loved the work and talent you all put into them, but this one is the first one I sat and stared at just to stare. Quite possibly because I had to convince myself I wasn't looking at a version of Ceasar. He's very regal and romanesque and I really like this model. If you ever decide to sell him talk to me because that's one I would love to have on display.

Archived