Raz's Word Bearers - Hell Follows With Them

RazakelXIII

• 3 weeks later...

So somehow my plans for my free time over the last few weeks went from "paint like mad" to "marathon old episodes of Doctor Who." Anyway, finished those Heavy Bolter Havocs I mentioned in my last post.

Havoc Squad, X Coterie, Phael Havres

gallery_39401_2771_88056.jpg

Havres himself:

gallery_39401_2771_157326.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_162507.jpg

And the four Heavy Bolter marines:

gallery_39401_2771_80836.jpg

Also did a bit more work on the Dark Apostle, gave him a book and an Accursed Rosarius. Or something, that's what I want to call it - it's a bit from the Marauder Horsemen. Also replaced the Crozius with a fresh one, put a spike on it, and threw on another impurity seal. Swapped the position of the impaled Commissar from Zhufor to the other side for purposes of compositional balance. I still feel like the Crozius needs something, considered going spiky but I might try doing some more sculpting and turning it into a big censer/beatstick and do something clever with smoke. Not sure what I'm doing with the backpack - was thinking braziers on the vents but all the bitz I tried didn't look right, so I'm either going to have to sculpt my own, or go with lots of candles.

gallery_39401_2771_127015.jpg

The next painting project will be the Warhound Titan. Yeah, I said it. Will try to actually post WIP shots this time. :P

WOW Raz, I just went through all sixteen pages of this thread and I am left speechless. Some amazing coversions and ideas you have going on, its a real inspiration.

One question I have about your Dark Apostle is where does that shin plate with the skull on it come from?

Cheers

Kyo

WOW Raz, I just went through all sixteen pages of this thread and I am left speechless. Some amazing coversions and ideas you have going on, its a real inspiration.

One question I have about your Dark Apostle is where does that shin plate with the skull on it come from?

Cheers

Kyo

That's would be Forge World's Lord Zhufor :P

TDA

• 3 weeks later...

IT BEGINS.

gallery_39401_2771_190258.jpg

Just Scab Red so far, my camera seems to have made it significantly brighter than it really is but I'm gonna wash the living crap out of it anyway.

And a little more Raz. Decided to sculpt candles over the backpack vents and gave him a cape and shoulderfuzz. I don't think I'm going to do anything fancy with his Crozius, I almost settled on having flames coming out of it but I'm already a bit concerned with how cluttered he is. Pic is quite crap, I'll get some better ones when I finish his base.

gallery_39401_2771_108828.jpg

Also, I realize I'm about two weeks late, but TDA is correct, the leg is from Zhufor. I feel a little bad about cannibalizing bitz from a Forge World model but hey, it's for SCIENCE! Also Chaos.

• 1 month later...

Once again, I apologize for the absence. Skyrim happened, then exams and papers, then the holidays. Been working on stuff on and off, though, so here's what I've got.

The Titan is washed, still looks a bit blotchy, could probably use another coat of Devlan Miracle. Many bottles of wash died to bring us this picture.

gallery_39401_2771_57251.jpg

I've also sculpted 50 candles on the top. Not sure what possessed me to do this because my eyes sure didn't enjoy it.

gallery_39401_2771_31939.jpg

It's still nowhere near finished - I obviously need to paint the candles, then do a bit more work on battle damage, and then a lot of the little chunks of damage actually have what look like fleshy organic bits inside them so I need to paint those as skin or muscle or something, might actually have it bleeding. I need to do some more work on the brass, including possibly doing verdigris, and I might add another boltgun highlight to all the metallics. Also need to do grey script on all the red armored sections, then sculpt/paint fleshy stitched-together banners for me to paint kill markers on, and find some small-scale chain to hang them from. And then I also need to do the interior, which I'm definitely saving for last. Plus it needs a base, so I've still got my work cut out for me.

And Raz mk2 is about done. Finished the skull-mountain (ran out little resin skulls in the process), resculpted his cape (it was too flat before) and finally settled on something for his backpack. Took me several iterations to settle on this flaming-horned-skull-surrounded-by-candles idea, fire is a pain to get right.

gallery_39401_2771_133400.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_134672.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_126683.jpg

I still want to add a breaking wheel on a pole with some corpses hanging off it to his base, need bits for it, they should be arriving in the mail any day now. I might also sculpt a little censer-bearer minion. Also, here's a size comparison with OldRaz and a CSM champion. I may have gone a LITTLE over the top with the truescaling here but oh well.

gallery_39401_2771_33048.jpg

Hopefully I'll have more regular updates for a while, since I'm on break now.

Once again, I apologize for the absence. Skyrim happened, then exams and papers, then the holidays. Been working on stuff on and off, though, so here's what I've got.

The Titan is washed, still looks a bit blotchy, could probably use another coat of Devlan Miracle. Many bottles of wash died to bring us this picture.

gallery_39401_2771_57251.jpg

I've also sculpted 50 candles on the top. Not sure what possessed me to do this because my eyes sure didn't enjoy it.

I really wouldn't want to be the crew member whose job it is to light all of those :)

Beautiful work!

Raz is looking better and better. Very much looking forward to seeing this breaking wheel!

Bits still aren't here so no updates on the Apostle just yet, but I painted the Titan's candles.

gallery_39401_2771_112544.jpg

And I started on the fleshy battle-damaged bits, definitely making them bleed later (they looked REALLY cool all full of wet Baal Red). Also finally took some pics of it from all sides - not the best, had some problems with lighting.

gallery_39401_2771_165022.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_139045.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_150055.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_40336.jpg

loving these guys especially the dark gritty realism of Havoc Squad, X Coterie, Phael Havres

and a very well done apostle takes me back to my old guy which is now showing his age

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/daemonclaw/greens/49a2c7ef.jpg

:D

very nice use of bits on your man without being clustered and the cloak and fire are a nice addition

keep up the good work

• 2 months later...

@Daemonclaw - Coming from you that means a lot to me - that picture's been sitting on my hard drive forever, had no idea who made it. It's been an inspiration and is still quite jealousy-inducing. I can't thank you enough for making that model.

Wait, it's been three months? Wow. Spent a good amount of time painting, utterly botching and then repainting a non-PA model for a friend as a birthday present. Took a break after that. Finally started reading Know No Fear and the sheer backstabby goodness of it immediately made me come back to the Apostle and the Titan.

So, Raz mkII is finally done and ready for paint, primer's drying as I type. The pole holding the wheel up is detachable for ease of transport and painting - might not even take it to games as it is rather fiddly.

gallery_39401_2771_69420.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_154621.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_40820.jpg

Also stuck a bunch of fleshybits (possibly too many...) to the Titan and bloodified them. I'm having trouble photographing the whole model due to light not seeming to want to do what I tell it to, so I only got a few remotely decent pics - I'll work on getting some better ones. Still nowhere near done, I still have to do script on the exterior, hang kill-banners from the weapons, and paint the interior.

gallery_39401_2771_79146.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_57429.jpg

ANGRY KNEE IS ANGRY!!!

gallery_39401_2771_3941.jpg

And I know it's a bit silly, but it's been a long-running joke at the FLGS and... well, it had to happen eventually. Word Bear. Geddit?

gallery_39401_2771_88418.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_85723.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_11240.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_134145.jpg

Here's a WIP shot (for whatever reason it's the only one I took):

gallery_39401_2771_179276.jpg

The base model is a Werebear from Reaper Miniatures. I think I'm going to start using him as a DP.

HA! :lol: I see what you did there

Excellent work here man. As usual, your Word Bearers want to make me pick up my Chaos Space Marines and get back to work :P

Man wish I had a chaos Warhound Titan :P

Archived