Raz's Word Bearers - Hell Follows With Them

RazakelXIII

Holy Trophy Duck Raz!!!

Seriously, absolutely, nerdgasmically insane....

Love how your Dark Apostle came out...though there was never any doubt about how awesome it was gonna be...

but that Warhound blew my mind!!

Great work!!! and those banners.....*speechless*

~BtW

Brother Syth - I actually have no idea, I don't really keep track of time while I'm painting, it could've been anywhere from 20-40 hours all together, plus waiting for washes to dry and GS to cure.

Already back to work on the revamp. Added candles to my Predators and roughly a third of the marines I've already painted (further squads and tanks will get candles as I get around to painting them), and also put Corpse Cart and Flagellant braziers on top of some of the banners. Not giving Leroy or the Raptors candles because whoosh, and there's not really anywhere to put them on the Word Bear.

gallery_39401_2771_131881.jpg

And working on further chaosifying my II Captain, star bit is from Huron Blackheart's backpack.

gallery_39401_2771_6051.jpg

Will paint all the candles ASAP, hopefully before an Apoc game next week, then go back through unit-by-unit and do touchups - will take new pics of each squad once this is done.

:jaw: ;) :woot: :drool: :jaw:

Thematically i like the banners that look to be made out of human skin, nut I gotta ask, what creature has enough skin to make banners for the titan? You may want to think about adding stitches, but then again, the warp did it.

Did I just miss it or could you please show us a close up of the flamer guy?

Quixus/Monkey - I did post some closeups of him but they're all the way back on page 10 (link). My photography setup is much better now so I'm going to be taking new pics of stuff as I do touchups, so he'll get some new closeups in the next few weeks. As for the Titan banners, I did think about doing stitches but I thought it might interfere with the script and any future kill markings I might do. I recall there being mention in Dead Sky, Black Sun of daemons whose sole purpose was to grow flesh like that but it's been a while since I read it.

Candles are painted. All of them.

gallery_39401_2771_183837.jpg

Still in the middle of revamping the Captain. I think I'm going to add some more script and do some freehand on his cape, but I'm not sure about the star on his backpack, I may repaint it Boltgun - I don't think the gold looks right next to the flesh and the candles.

gallery_39401_2771_127330.jpg

I also brought the script on the Predators up from Adeptus to Codex (you can actually really see it in that first pic compared to the shot in my last post) and did some other improvements, but I'm not sure if I'm finished with them just yet so I didn't take any individual pics of them.

That is a great looking army. Feel sorry for the poor souls that have to face them. The Word Bearer torching the Imperial Guard at the front of the army makes me chuckle I think that one is my favorite to look at. Sticks out really well in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

Malika: Oh, I've got at least 3 in my To-Do List of Doom. It's gonna be a while though. I'd like to see if FW will ever put out a Chaos one, and in the meantime I'm thinking of doing a Decimator.

Revamp is pretty much done for now, except I've yet to start on the nipple-psyker (known to some as Head-Poppin' Billy) as I'm waiting for some bitz to show up. I didn't do anything with glowy eyes, might still do that in the future but not now. Anyway, been wanting to rephotograph everything, this seemed as good a time as any. Got 40 images so I'm going to have to split this into two posts, will put a link to this post in the OP as well. Without further ado:

First Acolyte Naberus - He was in dire need of highlights. Also retouched the fire and did some extra layering on the Guardsmen.

gallery_39401_2771_104287.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_28764.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_18907.jpg

II Captain Abalam - He just didn't look Chaosy enough. Fixed with an icon from Huron Blackheart's backpack, plus some candles and a bit of freehand on the cape.

gallery_39401_2771_101708.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_12208.jpg

Sorcerer of the II Cohort, Sor Orobas - Actually didn't change anything but the old pics were a bit meh.

gallery_39401_2771_97183.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_71992.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_58099.jpg

HQ party

gallery_39401_2771_8970.jpg

Great Unclean One - I added a little extra purple in his scabs, always regretted completely filling them with blood.

gallery_39401_2771_27714.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_14603.jpg

III Coterie, Quor Allocer - Added candles on everyone, put a brazier on the icon, gave the heavy flamer some extra firey bits coming out the nozzles of his gun, and gave Allocer himself a nice cape.

gallery_39401_2771_25714.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_128045.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_159387.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_1597.jpg

XII Coterie, Phael Berith - Candles, bumped the script from Adeptus to Codex, added a completely new melta effect as the old version was rather lackluster. Dimmed the glow on the flamer marine, in the process cleaned up a bit of the dusty effect left over from drybrushing. I've also washed the squad significantly since the first time I posted them.

gallery_39401_2771_41750.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_147178.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_132070.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_120042.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_83919.jpg

And I think that's the image limit, splitting post here.

Phael Berith cont'd.

gallery_39401_2771_146955.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_164614.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_64757.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_38200.jpg

XIII Coterie, Phael Raum - Candles, script, washes.

gallery_39401_2771_42649.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_177037.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_100430.jpg

XIV Coterie, Phael Isskar - Candles, script, washes.

gallery_39401_2771_116900.jpg

XVII Coterie, Quor Stolas - Script, washes. No candles, they would be silly on Raptors. I've also replaced the sergeant's head since the last time I photographed the squad.

gallery_39401_2771_87982.jpg

XIX Coterie, Phael Apollyon - Candles, script, dullcoted them (they were extremely glossy for some reason) and washes.

gallery_39401_2771_192524.jpg

XX Coterie, Phael Havres - Candles, script. They were the first time I felt I'd really hit it in terms of how dark I wanted them, so no washes since the last time I took pics of them.

gallery_39401_2771_151176.jpg

Predators Eligos and Agares - Candles, script, washes, a couple extra details such as the gold on the havoc missiles.

gallery_39401_2771_86694.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_5155.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_115040.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_17873.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_136080.jpg

And some closeups of stuff. First up, champions Isskar, Berith and Raum.

gallery_39401_2771_172355.jpg

Champions Havres, Stolas and Apollyon.

gallery_39401_2771_147392.jpg

Drummers from squads Berith, Isskar and Raum.

gallery_39401_2771_41494.jpg

And two marines from Phael Raum, my personal favorites out of the whole army (not including characters). The one on the right was the second model I painted for this army, you'll notice he's significantly more grimdark now than he was in the OP. As for the one on the left, I just really dig mkIV.

gallery_39401_2771_47492.jpg

I'll have some army shots up once I finish Head-Poppin' Billy.

Woah! Even though I've seen all the models before, these are just awesome. The candles and script look really cool on them. I love the new melta thing, it looks awesome! My favourite model is probably the banner bearer from Phael Berith.

• 3 weeks later...

Hrm, I say, what might this wondrous pile of detritus be the shapings of, I wonder?

gallery_39401_2771_244135.jpg

:D Cabling inspired by Kikkala's recent AWESOME mech-Apostle. Before anyone asks, the legs are from the Games Day 2004 Archaon on Foot (thank the gods for eBay), and they're around the height of an unconverted marine. Blasphemy to use them on something other than their intended purpose, I know, but at least my Acolyte gets the sword. Can't think of a use for the torso, but the shield and head will be easy enough to utilize. Crozius is a bitzmash from the new FB Knights and the banner's from the Empire Flagellants sprue.

What are FB Knights by the way, and what does it stand for?

If you can ever be sure of 2 things with Raz' work, it's that:

1. It will be uniformly awesome.

2. Some luckless Guardsman is going to have a very, very bad day.

3. But not for long.

How you continue to produce stuff to such a high standard is quite beyond me....

An epic and really inspiring thread.

Great job, Bearer of the Word...

Might I suggest you to consider a chaos apothecary, a stealer of geneseed and a corruptor of the blood? It would be an awesome addition to such a sinister warband.

Amazing army - rediciously characterful, i really really reaaalllllyyy love the models with the Melta, Flamer and Bolter and the carnage to the IG bodies - awesome!

Onyxius - FB is short for WHFB, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, in that post I was referring to these guys. Nice Apostle, btw, excellent use of Loyalist heads.

Tenebris - I've actually already got an Apothecary in the pipeline (I like "Chirurgeon"), he'll be in my command squad whenever that happens. Got the bits for him, just a matter of putting everything together.

Crystal Geyser - It's a really simple method, actually, I basecoat everything Scorched Brown, paint a layer or two of Scab Red over that, highlight the red with Mechrite (I'm usually pretty sloppy with this, I can afford to be due to washes), paint the metallics Boltgun, slop on EXTREMELY heavy coats of Badab Black and Devlan Mud, highlight the metallics with more Boltgun, and then do another layer of Devlan Mud. Sometimes I'll go back with another highlight of Boltgun or Scab if I feel like they've turned out too dim. Whenever I do bronze it's usually just Dwarf Bronze, washed Devlan Mud, highlighted Dwarf Bronze. Of course I'm not sure how well any of this works with the new paints, most of them are much more vibrant which shouldn't be a problem what with the heavy washing involved, but Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade are VERY different from Badab Black and Devlan Mud - Nuln is too dark and glossy and Agrax is too yellowish. However, I've heard mumblings on the interwebs that Army Painter's Dark Tone and Strong Tone inks are near-perfect substitutes, so I'll likely be switching to those when I run out of Citadel washes.

Sorry for dropping off the face of the planet for another month there, I took on a Trollbloods and SkorneHERESY!!! commission for some local guys - I hate commissions and I normally avoid them like the plague, but I had to step in and finish this one for a friend. Now that I'm done with that, my attention is back to the Word Bearers. Now, I was going to finish my revamp with Head-Poppin' Billy the Nipplepsyker, but I find myself lacking some bitz I thought I had, plus I've extended my plans somewhat as I really want him to be spectacular. He'll be a while. As such, I've taken army shots now.

gallery_39401_2771_9278.jpg

Compared to my last army shot from... wow, September 2010:

gallery_39401_2771_532720.jpg

Full list of stuff done since then is: full revamp on most everything, redid Raz, added the Titan, the Word Bear, a third Hell Blade (the base still isn't painted, I really need to replace all of them, the wires are way too wobbly), a Havoc squad, 2 Predators and 20 more cultists. Seems like less than I should've done in almost two years, but then I spent one year of that taking a break from painting, and then another seven months were spent on Raz and the Titan, so overall I'm pretty happy with that progress.

And here's my "To-Do" pile:

gallery_39401_2771_114083.jpg

That's 2 plasma squads, the CC diorama squad, another Raptor squad, 2 Dreadnoughts, a WIP Techmarine, 10 headless armless cultists (awaiting guardsmen bits and/or emulating Abaddon), 2 WIP cultist overseers, 3 vindicators, 2 dakkapreds, a Land Raider, 2 Defilers (one of which is actually a Soulgrinder but whatever), a naked Rhino chassis that I think I'll be kitting out for anti-air what with 6th looking like Flyerhammer, and the bitz for some Discords. Not pictured is a baggie full of bitz for a MkIV command squad which will include the aforementioned Chaos Apothecary/Chirurgeon, and a whole other Land Raider with no guns on it.

I HAD a Baneblade but I sold it, it was old and VERY poorly assembled, I'll be getting another at some point and doing a much better job on it. Right before I sold it, the thing got one-shotted by a loyalist sergeant with a combi-melta coming out of a drop pod on turn 1 of an Apoc game. I think it knew I didn't want it anymore.

Also pictured above are two models that have just recently emerged from the primordial bitz box, very WIP at the moment (I'm aware of the glue fogging, I'm definitely using too much, still getting used to some new gel glue I got recently, I much prefer liquid).

First off, my Coryphaeus (apparently the real word has an e there, I like that pronunciation much better). He'll be getting a tabard at some point but I'll be sculpting it myself. Sword is from the Vampire Counts Zombie Dragon kit, I think the shield is from the Fantasy Chaos Knights. No idea what the skull is from, probably some Beastmen kit. Was originally going to have him in a "COME AT ME BRO" pose but I decided this was more... Coryphaeus-ly. Or something. I dunno, I'll probably do that with a II Cohort Acolyte instead.

gallery_39401_2771_79878.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_24954.jpg

And the Acolyte for my Anointed cohort. Had to use the Terminator Chaplain somewhere since I love the model, I clipped his censer-maul off a bit from the Skaven Screaming Bell.

gallery_39401_2771_50021.jpg

Next up for painting are those two half-basecoated autocannon Predators in the WIP shot. Will be trying assembly-lining tanks, I hate the sound of that already.

Fantastic looking bearers, they have a very 2nd Ed. aesthetic to them.

I can confirm that Dark Tone is a pretty much perfect match for Badab Black, haven't tried Strong Tone yet.

great use of bits again

loving the termy chap, will you be covering up the wings at all?

and three hellblades a titan and scorpion ....forgeworld must love you as much as your bank balance hates forgeworld :rolleyes:

also as much as i love the victims dying to your honoured host how on earth do you fit them in figure trays?

keep up the great work looking forward to corydudes progress

Archived