Raz's Word Bearers - Hell Follows With Them

RazakelXIII

OuThere - The skulls are from a site called Fortress Figures. It seemed like they'd stopped selling minis for a while. Looks like he's restarted his store, though he doesn't seem to be selling the skulls in a pack anymore. Link.

Glad you guys liked the Word Bear. :P This week was my spring break, wanted to paint some but laziness always manages to get in the way. Should get plenty of work done on Raz at the FLGS tomorrow, but just in case I wind up slacking off, here's a VERY early PIP. Very... red, at the moment.

gallery_39401_2771_52607.jpg

Waiting on a few sets of mkIV armor to show up from Forge World. Should be enough to finish up assembly of the II Cohort, will have pics of the remaining unpainted squads whenever the armor gets here. Hopefully tomorrow, but I've been thinking that all week.

Looking good as always, Raz....your Dark Apostle is coming out absolutely insane, can't wait to see more wips of it...

And that Word Bear nearly had me spitting my Dr. Pepper all over my comp screen....nice, hehe...

Keep up the awesome work, brother!

~BtW

Bit further along with Raz now. Aware of the splotch of metal on the gorget, I'll get that cleaned up. It's all going rather well, except the bastard Crozius snapped off and even after I've glued and GS'd it back on, it falls off whenever I so much as look at it. Thinking about what to do about it, might wrap an impurity seal around the top portion of the haft and stick it to his hand. Could also chain it on Black Templar style. Skulls/bone/paper aren't done, needs another layer/wash/highlight. Pretty comfortable with the armor/metallics (except for the Crozius which I'm afraid of touching at the moment), might do another wash of Devlan Mud to darken it just a bit more, might also try to pick out the brass a bit more.

gallery_39401_2771_97620.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_25113.jpg

Furthermore, my mkIV armor arrived and I've been able to finish assembly of my last few squads, at least for the II Cohort. This has been a long time coming, as I've had most of these models in various states of completion for at least a year, feels great to have it all paint-ready. This includes two dual-plasma squads (gunners and champs already painted, posted a few pages back - would repost here but it would invoke the wrath of the Image Limit, also includes banner bearers I basecoated forever ago), one Raptor squad, and a CC squad consisting almost entirely of mini-dioramas. I actually only needed mkIV for 3 of the marines here, wanted to hold off until I could post all of it. I'm going to hold off painting these for a while to see if the rumors about a new Chaos book later this year hold any truth - if so I suspect the Raptors' jump packs may get replaced and I might do some head/arm swaps. I have plenty of tanks to paint in the meantime, not to mention Raz and the Titan, and I'm going to have to snag a Decimator at some point. Right, then, pics!

The Raptor squad:

gallery_39401_2771_179308.jpg

Used a lot of Sanguinary Guard heads for these. I've given the champion a glorious beard:

gallery_39401_2771_67423.jpg

Plasma squads:

gallery_39401_2771_116535.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_192612.jpg

Not much in the way of conversions here except the musicians, who again I wound up using SG heads for. They were the only bare heads I had available at the time. I enjoy the scowl on the guy on the right:

gallery_39401_2771_51118.jpg

And the CC squad.

gallery_39401_2771_185197.jpg

Meltagunner. Thinking of going blue-white on the beam and crispy on what's left of the guardsman, might redo my other diorama meltagunner to be the same.

gallery_39401_2771_66323.jpg

Drummer beating a guardsman's face into the back of his helmet.

gallery_39401_2771_38727.jpg

*chop*

gallery_39401_2771_36860.jpg

Let me axe you something.

gallery_39401_2771_147255.jpg

This guy was posted already but I stuck a helmet to the exploded head, I think it adds a little bit more "oomph."

gallery_39401_2771_123820.jpg

And here it all is together.

gallery_39401_2771_133049.jpg

Which reminds me, I'm probably about due for an army shot. I'll do another one as soon as Raz and the Titan are finished, which hopefully won't be too long now.

The guy with the two axes is AWESOME! I love all the little dioramas you incorporate in your army. It gives the whole force the look of just casually walking and ploughing their way through an Imperial Guard outpost. The contempt the Word Bearers have for mere mortals is very obvious in your models.

Is it possible to pin the Crozius? I know I had to do that with the one I put onto my version of Marduk that I did....

Just used a piece of paperclip that I cut down to size and a small drill bit for the holes, and some good old super glue, of course...

Where I really had problems was the spiky bits added to the mace... those were fun o.O hehe.

Good luck with it and can't wait to see some more work on it.

~BtW

More PIP. Fire's just a basecoat at the moment, mainly just wanted to see how it looked before I wrapped up for the day. I added little eyes to the face growing out of his chestplate, quite pleased with that. The Gryphonne Sepia on the candles went on REALLY glossy, I might start over on them. Crozius is a bit sturdier now after ever-so-slightly more GS and superglue - suppose I could pin it if it keeps falling off, but frankly I'm terrified of drilling into something that narrow. :)

gallery_39401_2771_64818.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_107011.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_46634.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone.

@Keyoz - That is a great idea, hadn't thought of it. Will have to try it, thanks. :cuss

@MagicMan - Ha, yeah, he's probably a bit bigger than he should be, even for truescale. I'll get some size comparisons up when he's done. One of these days I'll have to make Lorgar as a DP but that'll be a project for the grim darkness of the far future.

So, fire. Pretty happy with how it turned out but C&C is always welcome.

gallery_39401_2771_89574.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_69030.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_133448.jpg

I think I managed to get most of the glossy bits on the candles covered up - the pics didn't show it but they were quite shiny. Not really happy with the cape, there's some blotchiness in the sculpting that I might have to either sand off or sculpt over. The black skull on the backpack will probably get a highlight, may or may not do OSL on it, I think it looks rather spooky all in black. Dead commissar needs some highlights. Obviously I haven't even started on the face - cracked open my old fleshtones and, aside from my Tallarn Flesh, they're all dried up, so I'll probably go out and get more soon. Will probably also rehighlight the fur on his back. Last thing I'll probably do is blood on the impurity seals, and after that it'll be on to the breaking wheel and that'll be about it.

Archived